What do you guys think of this as a first track bike? '06 600RR

streetroc85350

Hey guys, new member here. I have a lot of experience riding on the street but have never done a track day before. I was hoping to make it to the Barber track day in Alabama next month. I don't have a bike at the moment but would really like a Honda CBR since that is what I have the most experience with. I've been looking at this one but would like some advice from people who have more track day experience. I know the '07+ models are lighter and have more power but this one appears to be in decent shape and the price is right. What do y'all think? Would this be a good choice?

Edit: I can't post the link to the craigslist ad for some reason. However it's the only red and black '06 600rr on the Atlanta craigslist right now. Says it needs fork seals and brake pads. Asking $3200. Seem like a good candidate for a track bike?

streetroc85350

Yeah that's the one. Thanks for posting the link!

How hard is it to do fork seals? I'm a little skeptical of the price and the fact that it has been up for over a month. Guy says it has a clear title though. I'm thinking that keeping it titled and tagged for street use would make it easier to sell later although I don't see myself riding on the street again. Too many cage drivers on their phones

Is there anything else I would need to do to get it to pass tech inspection? The tires look ok for street use but I don't know what the track techs are looking for.

Aaron Meade

As a fellow track noob, I’d heavily consider. Blown fork seals could mean excessive wheelies. See if you can get an idea about its maintenance schedule. I’d rather buy a bike with higher mileage that had been rigorously maintained than a low mileage bike that has been “rode hard and put up wet”. Fork seals are easy on a right side up fork, never done them on a usd.

I say all this having just bought a low mileage bike that I had to put several hundred $ and counting into, so what do I know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
Welcome to the sport!

My internet inst working or I'd link you the rider's manual. Go to the n2 track days home page and download the rider's manual and there is a section on what is expected for bike prep for each group.
The big areas include enough brake pad material left, tire tread above the wear bars, no leaking fluids of any kind, chain at proper slack, steering bearing integrity(doesn't click or move with a hard pull of the handlebars forward or backwards), non binding throttle with a fast self closing action, and brake lever must be reasonably firm. Also all lights mirrors and registration tags should be either removed or taped up. You'll also want a number on your bike which can be made out of blue painters tape if you need.

As for your seals, whether they are hard or not depends on your past experience turning a wrench. I believe that your year of bike will need a spring compressor tool and possibly a cartridge puller. Leaking fork seals will fail an inspection tech. You do not want for fluid on your front breaks.

That bike is probably in the ballpark for what you could expect to pay for something like that bike. You could definitely find something a little cheaper but if you want to get on the track this season then this might be a good opportunity for you to get out before it gets too cold. I would at the least get the title if it were me. So much of a pita to get it afterwards.

You'll find that an older 600 will absolutely embarrass some of the newer 1000s with traction control and over 200 horsepower if the rider on the 600 has mastered the fundamentals and honed their technique. Money is best spent on seat time and training with personal protection being a close rival. (Training makes you safer as well). If you get that bike it will be years before your talent outgrows the bikes capabilities.

Best of luck and enjoy the sport!

Also you can look at the classifieds if you want to get an already track prepped bike if you think you're never going to go to the street again. You would be surprised how much money you will save buying one that's already set up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tdelegram

Control Rider
There’s a nice cbr package deal that was just posted, check it out, it looks like a nice build. Regarding cbrs, Honda do everything good, they are a solid all around package. On the leaking forks, a bike that age could have worn out seals or worse yet, a scratch, nick or pitting on the inner fork legs that are tearing the seals so really inspect the inner legs.

Ron R

Nice bike but I’d buy one that’s been tracked already. My first track bike was an 05 cbr 600 and it was really easy to ride. I was at least the 3rd track owner so all the stuff you want on a track bike was there. Race body, rear sets, clip ons etc. add up but older track bikes have that and probably suspension already. Check out N2 and wera forums for bikes. Should get a deal this time of year. Good luck!

streetroc85350

Welcome to the sport!

My internet inst working or I'd link you the rider's manual. Go to the n2 track days home page and download the rider's manual and there is a section on what is expected for bike prep for each group.
The big areas include enough brake pad material left, tire tread above the wear bars, no leaking fluids of any kind, chain at proper slack, steering bearing integrity(doesn't click or move with a hard pull of the handlebars forward or backwards), non binding throttle with a fast self closing action, and brake lever must be reasonably firm. Also all lights mirrors and registration tags should be either removed or taped up. You'll also want a number on your bike which can be made out of blue painters tape if you need.

As for your seals, whether they are hard or not depends on your past experience turning a wrench. I believe that your year of bike will need a spring compressor tool and possibly a cartridge puller. Leaking fork seals will fail an inspection tech. You do not want for fluid on your front breaks.

That bike is probably in the ballpark for what you could expect to pay for something like that bike. You could definitely find something a little cheaper but if you want to get on the track this season then this might be a good opportunity for you to get out before it gets too cold. I would at the least get the title if it were me. So much of a pita to get it afterwards.

You'll find that an older 600 will absolutely embarrass some of the newer 1000s with traction control and over 200 horsepower if the rider on the 600 has mastered the fundamentals and honed their technique. Money is best spent on seat time and training with personal protection being a close rival. (Training makes you safer as well). If you get that bike it will be years before your talent outgrows the bikes capabilities.

Best of luck and enjoy the sport!

Also you can look at the classifieds if you want to get an already track prepped bike if you think you're never going to go to the street again. You would be surprised how much money you will save buying one that's already set up.

That's a lot of good info. Thanks!

Yeah I've been lurking around the classifieds for a few months now. I haven't seen any 600RRs near me though. I wouldn't mind having one that was already set up as a track bike but I like the idea of getting one that can be put back to street use relatively easily. I figure that would make it easier for me to sell if I wanted to get my money back out of it. And if I understand the rules correctly it really isn't that difficult to prep them for the track until you get to the advanced class right?

streetroc85350

There’s a nice cbr package deal that was just posted, check it out, it looks like a nice build. Regarding cbrs, Honda do everything good, they are a solid all around package. On the leaking forks, a bike that age could have worn out seals or worse yet, a scratch, nick or pitting on the inner fork legs that are tearing the seals so really inspect the inner legs.

Where do you see that CBR package? I can't find it

tdelegram

Control Rider
Unless you have a surplus of time or just love working on bikes I would get a dedicated track only. I did the swap thing for a year and wasted a lot of time, regarding resale, in the right forum with a fair price you shouldn’t have resale issues. There’s always people coming and going in the track day and racing game.

streetroc85350

Unless you have a surplus of time or just love working on bikes I would get a dedicated track only. I did the swap thing for a year and wasted a lot of time, regarding resale, in the right forum with a fair price you shouldn’t have resale issues. There’s always people coming and going in the track day and racing game.

Do I need to do much to prep it for riding in the beginner/intermediate group? I thought I would just fix the brakes and fork seals tape up the lights and put some frame sliders on it. Maybe I misunderstood the tech requirements?

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
Do I need to do much to prep it for riding in the beginner/intermediate group? I thought I would just fix the brakes and fork seals tape up the lights and put some frame sliders on it. Maybe I misunderstood the tech requirements?
For the novice and intermediate group the tech requirements are based around safety for yourself and people around you. To be honest you don't even need frame sliders. You could definitely ride and will have a great time without a dedicated track bike.

The issue comes is that one track day isn't enough to satisfy people and you'll go home dreaming about your next day and soon you'll be buying packages and upgrades for your bike and all the toys that come along with this. It will be cheaper to buy a package deal rather than buying each upgrade individually. I took two street bikes and got them prepped with all the tricks and it is a lot of very rewarding work and a lot to learn, that being said I'm going to just buy one someone else set up next time to save time and money haha.

If you bring that cbr in good working order in safe condition you'll find that you'll have a great time in the novice group with a ton to learn. You'll be surprised how supportive people are.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Here's the link to the Riders' Manual, it'll outline the tech requirements: https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/N2-Riders-Manual-2019.pdf
Pages 17-20, but peruse the entire manual, if you haven't already. :)

It lists all the things to be checked. Basically, have the lights taped, mirrors removed, brake pads in good condition. NO leaks from anywhere. Tires in good shape. Numbers on the windscreen (can be any number you choose, except single digits for some reason, which you'll enter when you create an account - doesn't have to be fancy, painter's tape works, as long as it's visible to the cornerworkers). Chain/sprockets in good condition (frequently we find the chain is too tight, adjust to the looser end of the range in your manual). Nothing loose. Firm brake lever - the balls on the ends of the levers must be intact.

Oh yeah, and disable the brake light by either pulling the fuse, or unplugging. Best to disable the headlight, too, easier to get the tape off.

Ask away if you have any other questions!

Last edited:

tdelegram

Control Rider
On my rc8 I would pull 3 fuses lights and horn, remove mirrors and rear fender/plate/turn signals then tape up head and tail light. Change the clickers and preload front and rear to make the suspension track or street oriented, it was a lot each time and just gave up at some point.

2blueyam

If you have the money, prepping your first track bike yourself can be a rewarding and learning experience. I learned a lot about working on my R1 as I prepped and upgraded it for the track over time. I also crashed once at least in part because the stock suspension was crappy and under sprung for my weight. Part of the learning experience.

But, it was a lot more expensive than buying one already prepared and I will never do it again. With that said there are always mods you will want to make unless you buy something top shelf.

As for CBRs for sale check out this one:
http://forums2.13x.com/index.php?posts/5612961/

That may be a wee bit out of your price and needs, but there are others for sale on the WERA board as well.

bmart

Control Rider
No matter what you buy, you're going to want to go over all systems and retorque all important bolts. You'll learn, whether you buy new or used. Same process.

streetroc85350

Here's the link to the Riders' Manual, it'll outline the tech requirements: https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/N2-Riders-Manual-2019.pdf
Pages 17-20, but peruse the entire manual, if you haven't already. :)

It lists all the things to be checked. Basically, have the lights taped, mirrors removed, brake pads in good condition. NO leaks from anywhere. Tires in good shape. Numbers on the windscreen (can be any number you choose, except single digits for some reason, which you'll enter when you create an account - doesn't have to be fancy, painter's tape works, as long as it's visible to the cornerworkers). Chain/sprockets in good condition (frequently we find the chain is too tight, adjust to the looser end of the range in your manual). Nothing loose. Firm brake lever - the balls on the ends of the levers must be intact.

Oh yeah, and disable the brake light by either pulling the fuse, or unplugging. Best to disable the headlight, too, easier to get the tape off.

Ask away if you have any other questions!

Thanks I really appreciate that!

streetroc85350

If you have the money, prepping your first track bike yourself can be a rewarding and learning experience. I learned a lot about working on my R1 as I prepped and upgraded it for the track over time. I also crashed once at least in part because the stock suspension was crappy and under sprung for my weight. Part of the learning experience.

But, it was a lot more expensive than buying one already prepared and I will never do it again. With that said there are always mods you will want to make unless you buy something top shelf.

As for CBRs for sale check out this one:
http://forums2.13x.com/index.php?posts/5612961/

That may be a wee bit out of your price and needs, but there are others for sale on the WERA board as well.

Yeah that's a little out of my price range. Thanks though.

I contacted the guy about that '06 600rr on Craigslist but I never heard back. If anyone knows of a decent 600rr for $3k around Atlanta please let me know!