After my first track day I feel like a total squid!

CBR-Los

So, I did my first track day with The Riders Club at NJMP this past weekend. AND that experience just confirmed what I already know; I need A LOT OF TRAINING!
I’ve signed up for NC Bike on Saturday July 25th. Looking forward to meeting some of you and hopefully adding to my nonexistent skill set.

Just curious did any of you track day addicts feel the way I do after your first time hitting the track?

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
If you aren’t feeling that way, I’d be more concerned. Recognizing the need to learn is the first step to being a better rider. Glad you are here and you e come to the right place to improve safely.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CBR-Los

Thanks Darth.
I’m pretty sure my street riding days are over.
Even though I made a lot of mistakes on the track, I never once felt like I was going to crash or get killed by an on coming motorist!
That in and of itself was worth the price of admission!

bmart

Control Rider
We've all been there! Plenty to learn at the start...and every day after. You're in good hands.

And don't give up the street. They're very different sports but with a lot of transferable skills. Time at the track tends to make people see the dangers of the street and actually slow down...and work on skills.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome to N2 and the addiction. There’s a njmp N2 day Monday if you can make it, if not there will be some good coaches at nc bike in a few weeks.

chrisplm

Chris
There are definitely a different set of skills (not without similarities) between the track and the street.
Aside from all the fundamentals of how to ride and control a sportbike at pace, one of the biggest things I see in new to track riders is learning to ride the "race line" and use the whole track, vs riding around the track and following the path as if there is some imaginary double yellow line running down the middle of the course. I was guilty of that as well as many other bad "street" habits when I first started track riding. So you are definitely not alone my friend!
Welcome to the Addiction!

bmart

Control Rider
The talk of race line has been more prevalent this season. I'm not sure why. Maybe it is the long break. Entering from the middle, missing the apex by 10' and then exiting in the middle of the track creates a few serious problems.
  • You're making the corner much tighter than it is designed for.
  • You're going slower than you should be.
  • You're carrying more lean angle than you need to.
  • You're crossing the race line everyone else is on creating a potential impact with your track day friends.
All of this makes it less safe for the person were talking about, but also for everyone else.

Pick a skill to work on every session, every track day. This is a good one to add to the list.

CBR-Los

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this post. Great input and advice from all.

Two things I gathered from my first track day:
1) I need to do a better job learning and staying on “the race line”.
2) I’m trying WAY TOO hard to hang off the bike and therefore producing some pretty heinous body positioning!
I’ll do my best to build off this knowledge and fix as much as I can this season.

I’m looking forward to gaining more knowledge and coaching from control riders at NC Bike.

Thanks again everyone for all the positive and encouraging comments!

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this post. Great input and advice from all.

Two things I gathered from my first track day:
1) I need to do a better job learning and staying on “the race line”.
2) I’m trying WAY TOO hard to hang off the bike and therefore producing some pretty heinous body positioning!
I’ll do my best to build off this knowledge and fix as much as I can this season.

I’m looking forward to gaining more knowledge and coaching from control riders at NC Bike.

Thanks again everyone for all the positive and encouraging comments!

Remember that getting off the bike starts with your feet. You need a good foundation to support once you move your butt, torso, and head off the bike. Get on the balls of your feet and make sure to turn your inside foot so you get your heel up against the heel guard. This will naturally turn your leg and knee out and give you a good foundation.

Too many people focus on trying to move their butt off without a solid foundation and just get all twisted up. This doesn’t allow them to get their torso/head off which is ultimately more important and they also just look really weird.

Cheers!

Motofun352

Control Rider
^^^ this, right here is the key^^^. Your feet are the foundation you build from. They allow you to use your legs and core strength and free up your arms.

buzz-06

So, I did my first track day with The Riders Club at NJMP this past weekend. AND that experience just confirmed what I already know; I need A LOT OF TRAINING!
I’ve signed up for NC Bike on Saturday July 25th. Looking forward to meeting some of you and hopefully adding to my nonexistent skill set.

Just curious did any of you track day addicts feel the way I do after your first time hitting the track?

I can remember my first trackday like it was yesterday, I was the “fast” guy on the street and was just here to confirm how good I was.....wow was I wrong!

One thing I’ll never forget is following a coach into turn 3 at summit, at this point I knew I wasn’t the next Rossi but I thought I still got this. Said coach turns in, knee on the deck and then takes his left hand off the bar and points on the ground to show me where he wants me to be. At this point I knew my GP carrer was over and it was time to go to school.

2blueyam

Welcome! I have been doing track days for 13 years, and I am still learning out there. It actually gets a bit boring if you are not working on learning something. Finally getting a new to me track bike (stock motor SV650) after 11 years of doing track days on a 2003 R1 means I have plenty to work on. Better outside passing skills became mandatory and I am working on them. Spent this past Monday adjusting my brake markers for Summit Main. Nothing like going from doing a bit of braking for turn 4 to not only no brakes, but 75% throttle. I know the fast guys on SVs are wide open through 4 and I may eventually get there. I am planning on being at NCBike Saturday or Sunday so see you there.

CBR-Los

July 25th I’ll be there!
Just look for the squid on the 2010 CBR1000rr!
And the only guy trailering his bike to the track with a 2016 Ford Fiesta!
You gotta do what ya gotta do!

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
July 25th I’ll be there!
Just look for the squid on the 2010 CBR1000rr!
And the only guy trailering his bike to the track with a 2016 Ford Fiesta!
You gotta do what ya gotta do!

My tow vehicle when I started was a 2004 Hyundai Elantra. Got the job done and still got 25+ mpg towing. And I had just as much fun on the track as the guy next to me with a $100k truck/toyhauler setup. Doesn’t matter how you get there, just show up, ride safe, and have fun!

bmart

Control Rider
What he said. I've been doing it with a 4 cyl Subaru and an open trailer since the 90s. It doesn't have to be expensive, and you don't need to being your house to a track day...

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
What he said. I've been doing it with a 4 cyl Subaru and an open trailer since the 90s. It doesn't have to be expensive, and you don't need to being your house to a track day...

Agreed...although if you have the $$ laying around, it’s definitely more comfortable