What oil are you guys using?

Jgelack

Just for the record, I'm not asking what is the best oil? I know from visiting other forums that question can be kinda dangerous, lol! And really impossible to answer without at least extensive testing and/or engine tear downs! I'm about to do an oil change on my R6, and would like to switch from conventional over to synthetic oil before my first Trackday, and was just wondering what was popular at the track. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Motul 300V. I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me! Thanks again!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
LOL on the dangerous comment! I use Motul 300V in my track-only bike. Street bike gets a less expensive synthetic. I change the oil much more frequently in my track-only bike. It gets changed every 1000 miles (street is 3000 miles). If your bike does both street and track, a good rule of thumb is to double the track miles. A lot of guys go on number of days. It's easier and more consistent for me to keep track of the miles.

bmart

Control Rider
Mobil 1 4T. Available on sale all of the time from Pep Boys online shipped to your local location. Then submit the rebate to Mobil for $12 off 5 qts. you'll never look back.

No need for a tear down. If you're really curious, just send it off once in a while for $25 to be tested. once you do this you'll laugh at all of the guys who change their oil way too often. :)

2blueyam

If you change it as often as you should in a track bike any full synth motorcycle specific oil will be fine. Mine usually comes out clean enough to put in the generator.

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
Rotella T6 is the de facto official oil of track days.

Motul 300v is a great oil, but Motul recommends you change it after every TD weekend due to breakdown of the additives they use for their advertised HP gain. If you take that seriously but want a true synthetic oil (not just "full synthetic" Group III hydrocracked-refined dino oil like T6, Mobile 1, etc) then Motul 7100 is a good choice that's not as expensive as 300v.

Jgelack

Mobil 1 4T. Available on sale all of the time from Pep Boys online shipped to your local location. Then submit the rebate to Mobil for $12 off 5 qts. you'll never look back.

No need for a tear down. If you're really curious, just send it off once in a while for $25 to be tested. once you do this you'll laugh at all of the guys who change their oil way too often. :)
Yeah, I just changed the oil on my street bike and I decided to try the Mobil 1 4T. So far I've tried Amsoil, Motul 7100, and now Mobil 1 in that bike, and honestly, I can't tell the difference between any of them! I did send a sample out to be tested years ago when I was running the Amsoil. All the wear metals came back with good numbers, and they told me that I could have gone MUCH longer with the oil.

Jgelack

LOL on the dangerous comment! I use Motul 300V in my track-only bike. Street bike gets a less expensive synthetic. I change the oil much more frequently in my track-only bike. It gets changed every 1000 miles (street is 3000 miles). If your bike does both street and track, a good rule of thumb is to double the track miles. A lot of guys go on number of days. It's easier and more consistent for me to keep track of the miles.
I think I'm going to try the Motul 300V in the track/street bike. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Thanks for sharing your change intervals, I was planning on changing it between 2-3K. Rotella seems very popular as well, and I'm sure it's a fine oil, I just don't feel comfortable using it right now. Anyway, thanks everyone for your replies!

Last edited:

bmart

Control Rider
I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Here's my bug with this sort of thing (and I'm not picking on you but the general public). "Yea, I really like that (fill in brand/model here)!" But what does it mean? How does one "like" an oil and even worse, how does another buy it because someone "liked" it?

If one wants the oil with the most likes, have at it...but if you really want to use the best oil (or really a "good" oil), then ask for some data on it, or collect your own and report back. And if one is gong to change it every track weekend, perhaps buy the cheapest brand that you can find as it won't matter much anyway at those change intervals. There is a lot of information/testing available, and it is worth calling one of the testing companies to see what data they can offer.

I go 1250-1750 mile intervals usually topping it off 1/2 way though to get back to "full" and also to bolster some of the additives due to the grueling track bike conditions.

Olive and coconut are also choices. :)

I look forward to hearing how you like it (pun intended!), especially if you go with coconut...everyone will want to follow you. lol

Jgelack

Here's my bug with this sort of thing (and I'm not picking on you but the general public). "Yea, I really like that (fill in brand/model here)!" But what does it mean? How does one "like" an oil and even worse, how does another buy it because someone "liked" it?

If one wants the oil with the most likes, have at it...but if you really want to use the best oil (or really a "good" oil), then ask for some data on it, or collect your own and report back. And if one is gong to change it every track weekend, perhaps buy the cheapest brand that you can find as it won't matter much anyway at those change intervals. There is a lot of information/testing available, and it is worth calling one of the testing companies to see what data they can offer.

I go 1250-1750 mile intervals usually topping it off 1/2 way though to get back to "full" and also to bolster some of the additives due to the grueling track bike conditions.

I look forward to hearing how you like it (pun intended!), especially if you go with coconut...everyone will want to follow you. lol
Good point! I just tend to overthink EVERYTHING! I've gone down this rabbit hole before, and every time I end up coming out with my head spinning, lol! Anyway, thanks again!

borislav

Control Rider

Lol, I like coconut and olive oil equally but my bike oil smells like bananas!:D

bmart

Control Rider
I'm starting to think that we're all a bit bananas.

a42e12e65f8df29fd33eb0b7659f7d1e.jpg

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Buy the best you can afford and the best you're comfortable using.
Use an OEM filter.
Change it on a regular interval that makes you happy with your maintenance routine on your machine.

It's that simple.

Done.