Harbor Freight Lift

mjkuhno

OK Nesbians - here's one for you.

Considering picking up the Harbor Freight motorcyle lift - @ $299 it seems like a good deal.

I've read some reviews across the web and the 'common wisdom' is that the lift table is a good value, but the wheel vise is garbage and should be replaced (they have a chock for $27 with coupon too).

I was wondering if any of the Nesba family has first hand experience/suggestions with this lift table.

Thx
- Mike

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
It is outstanding value. However, depending on tolerances as built, it could be a little wobbly. I shimmed them with washers. As for the front wheel chock, I dont even use it. I prefer using stands with detachable handles.

Keep in mind, as with most things, you get what you pay for.....

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Bolt a Condor Chock in the front to hold the front wheel and it's a tremendous value.

Mine's like 8 years old and still going strong.

mjkuhno

Thanks for the replies Steve and Darrin.

Is there enough room front/back to get stands on there too?

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Yes there is, but regular ones' handles will stick out past the ends of the table. Which is why I use detachable handle stands. Always.

some guy #2

I've read it is a good deal and def. a steal with the $299 and/or 25% coupon. I'm debating picking one up when I have the $$.

LesPow

Control Rider
It works great for me at home and the value cant be beat. I had to bring back the first lift because the hydraulic part was def. No worries after. Strap bike down before lifting and use the safety weight bearing bar as the instructions say. Careful if you have kids around it can be a great tool but respect the dangers.

bmrboy

Monkey Man , I have this lift as well , works just fine ... good investment

front wheel clamp is cheesy , but works ... rear stand fine... using both have not tried that yet ...
I guess you could use both stands if you place the bike properly ...
beats the hell out of working off the floor , makes everything so much easier

booboo1

Had mine for couple years. works great. And i keep on the rear stand on the lift all the time. good deal

mjkuhno

Ironic? Hurting your back loading a motorcycle lift table into the truck.

Why ironic? Bought it so I could work on the bike without hurting my back.

Thanks to everyone for your comments/suggestions. Now I just need my back to heal up for a few days so I can pop the crate and start taking pieces out.

BTW - for those that have it; does it in fact come out in parts/pieces or should I prepare for another session of hurt unloading it?

motorkas

Hey Mike - the website has it for 429.00 - was the 299.00 deal only local to you or did you find it on their website?

Thanks!!!

BT

mjkuhno

motorkas;290164 wrote: Hey Mike - the website has it for 429.00 - was the 299.00 deal only local to you or did you find it on their website?

Thanks!!!

BT
There was a coupon in a previous Cycle World (Sept/Oct?) for the lift @ $299 and a chock for $27.

Not 100% sure which month it was - but I have seen then run from time to time.

BTW - the November issue of CW just came in the mail and the coupon for the lift is in there as well.

Good luck!

Jhondru

Worth it

Bought one today. $429 but printed off a 25% off coupon. Ended up around $300. Assembly took 30 min and was cake. R6 on it now and works fine. Could be a little more sturdy but for $300 I'll deal with it.

Jhondru

There is a 25% off coupon online for in-store purchases. Google "harbor freight coupon" and print the coupon out.

mjkuhno

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. My back felt better yesterday, so I unloaded the work table from the truck and set it up in the garage.

NOTE: Anyone interested in this stand should also pick up a pint of hydraulic oil at HF when purchasing. I read this in an online review somewhere - and it's absolutely true. The cylinder is not full and per instructions needs to be before 1st use. I used about 3/4 of a pint in mine, YMMV.

Also - I ditched the stock wheel vise right out of the gate and replaced with a HF chock. My original thought was I could then get the front stand on the work table (which I can) but what I realized after mounting was the best use of the front stand would be to change a wheel etc. Can't exactly do that when the wheel is in a chock. Duh. In any case, I picked up the chock for $27 with coupon and it seems to hold the bike well (though not as stable as my Baxley chock of course) so I'm just going to deal with my momentary lapse of reason and keep the chock mounted as is and I guess change front wheel off the table (or think how I could do a quick mount/dismount for the chock - again Duh!)

So, here's a shot of the bike on the table last night. I've since lowered it, so no clue if it keeps/loses compression; but I'd also recommend using the holding bar/safety bar across the lift table frame to make sure I'm not counting on the hydraulics to keep the bike raised.

All-in-all I'm pretty pleased with the purchase so far.

BTW - for anyone looking to purchase, the most recent Cycle World magazine has the coupon for $299. The previous month's had that coupon plus the chock for $27.