2011+ GSXR 750 owners

moto1320

I've always liked Suzuki's ergo's the most and oddly have owned Kawis, Hondas, and Yamahas instead. This week since the winter prices are right I'm probably going to pick up a new 750 as a street bike with the intention of getting used to it an maybe switching my R6 for a Suzuki too if it fits me as well as I think it will.

All I can do for now is read reviews, all of which are kind of hard on the 750 for lacking edginess and flick-ability compared to the rest of the crowd. I know many of the Suzukis of the past needed a little suspension tweaking to come into their own, brake help, etc. What do you like and what are the weak spots? Would you buy the bike again? Any must do mods?

TProc

Suspension wise.....the R6 likes a lot of the same a Gixx likes.
You will love the power, and that alone will encourage you to work on the deficiencies "YOU" hint off???????

I have taken a stock 750 sub 1.20's at Summit Main, and 1.31's at TBolt. Now if you not gonna go faster than that, just buy the bike, put some tires of your choice on it, suit up, and have fun.

moto1320

If I settle on it I'm going to just ride it for quite a while...I wasn't worried about power mods. My present track bike is and will remain rock stock, but I think you would agree suspension adjustments are a good idea. I just remember some things about some of the earlier GSXR's liking a little ride height in the back, lots of guys liked fork extenders...some didn't. There are plenty of changes that can just make a bike more comfortable and are not necessarily in the name of speed. Just getting some feedback. I, like most of us, like tinkering with my toys in the off season. Also, if guys are on the newer bike and it's not notably different from the stacks of 06/07 bikes for sale, I'd like to know that as well. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to get people to talk about why they like their bike, I have no saddle time to draw from on this model.

bmrboy

Purchased a 2011 750 back in AUG. Rode it on the mountain roads just to get the feel .....
made adjustments to get comfortable , a set of body work , some paint & to the track ..... :eek:
You will not be disappointed .... stock suspension ... set-up for me , brake pads & fluid a set of 211's
your good to go ..... have fun with it !!!!! :D

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Look no further, 750's are the weapon of choice…:D Like any bike you purchase you'll have to set it up for your riding style and whatever is most comfortable for you.

LOrtega

Control Rider
I had a 2012 GSXR 750, street bike and I will tell you of the endless amount of mods that are out there, I can honestly tell you buying the Yoshimura Rear linkage was the best money I spent, took it from a very good bike on stock suspension to feeling like I have full top of the line suspension.

I have had every model GSXR going back to 1998 SRAD seriously that rear linkage turned it into a new bike.
As for power mods, flashing the ecu is an absolute must.
The stock ECU is full of restrictions. ..

Good luck man great bike

moto1320

LOrtega;296901 wrote: I had a 2012 GSXR 750, street bike and I will tell you of the endless amount of mods that are out there, I can honestly tell you buying the Yoshimura Rear linkage was the best money I spent, took it from a very good bike on stock suspension to feeling like I have full top of the line suspension.

I have had every model GSXR going back to 1998 SRAD seriously that rear linkage turned it into a new bike.
As for power mods, flashing the ecu is an absolute must.
The stock ECU is full of restrictions. ..

Good luck man great bike
Thanks for the feedback, you touched on two of the topics I had been trying to research a little. 1.) reviews on the Yosh linkage and 2.) few dynos of the flashed 11+'s.

What exhaust are you using with the linkage? Unfortunately I couldn't use it with the stock exhaust.

Who did you use for the flash? The newer flash capable ECU's are pretty cheap to work with and are down to 100.00 with FlashTune. I remember our trackside vendor mentioning that he saw few gains with flashing Suzukis compared to the Yamahas and Kawis. What did the flash improve for you?

bmrboy

My bike when purchased already had , Yoshi Exhaust,with carbon can , stainless pipes , ecu was flashed[ECU Unleashed]
Engine performance ... very smooth , very well calibrated power curve , very crisp throttle response , virtually no engine
braking on down shift .... Rode a 750 with no ECU flash and there was a very noticeable difference ....

It's my opinion & shared by most the 750 is a great bike , with a few personal tweeks for ergonomics is a huge bang
for your dollar ... parts are plentiful on E-bay [ in case you do some lawn mowing] it's lite , fast , handles very well with
stock suspension , you can hang fairly tight with the litre bikes ....

I pestered the Hell out of some 750 owners for information about the bike [Mike Ruhe] for example ... everything I was told
was true ... and I can't wait to ride it again !! :D

LOrtega

Control Rider
moto1320;296914 wrote: Thanks for the feedback, you touched on two of the topics I had been trying to research a little. 1.) reviews on the Yosh linkage and 2.) few dynos of the flashed 11+'s.

What exhaust are you using with the linkage? Unfortunately I couldn't use it with the stock exhaust.

Who did you use for the flash? The newer flash capable ECU's are pretty cheap to work with and are down to 100.00 with FlashTune. I remember our trackside vendor mentioning that he saw few gains with flashing Suzukis compared to the Yamahas and Kawis. What did the flash improve for you?
I had a BMC Race Filter, a full Yoshimura RS77 exhaust, with a Servo Buddy (eliminate the servo and not have Fi light issue) my ECU was flashed by a local shop using Flash Tune, it had a moderate gain of power the real upside was much more responsive and mid range was better....

The linkage really does wonders, in Stock trim the rear linkage is not as linear it actually makes it feel like the front end is pushing. Many people drop tons of money into the front of the bike thinking the problems is there you fix the rear and the front falls right in line and the showa front works great...

noobinacan

moto1320;296790 wrote: I've always liked Suzuki's ergo's the most and oddly have owned Kawis, Hondas, and Yamahas instead. This week since the winter prices are right I'm probably going to pick up a new 750 as a street bike with the intention of getting used to it an maybe switching my R6 for a Suzuki too if it fits me as well as I think it will.

All I can do for now is read reviews, all of which are kind of hard on the 750 for lacking edginess and flick-ability compared to the rest of the crowd. I know many of the Suzukis of the past needed a little suspension tweaking to come into their own, brake help, etc. What do you like and what are the weak spots? Would you buy the bike again? Any must do mods?
Rest of the crowd ??? no one else makes a 750 dude!
Almost everything in this sport is relative. my 'fast' in not your 'fast' and my 'handling good' is not yours.
some the people reviewing these bikes are NOT that fast. So... take all these online and magazine reviews with a grain of salt.

The only $$ you should spend first is suspension...I'd refer you to Chuck since the biggest bang for the buck is the fact that he'll be available at the track to help you dial it in.

Ruhe52;296928 wrote:
Don't buy one. They are garbage.
LoL

Ruhe52

Spend money first on things that make the bike easier to ride fast. For starters do nothing. Ride it. Stock suspension sprung and set right is pretty damn good and the brakes finally are reasonably good.

Once you have modified the bike to make it easier / more comfortable to ride ( ergos, clip ons, rear sets etc)

Next make it easier to work on.

Some pretty simple little things can be done but honestly you really don't need to do anything and the bike is ready to go right out of the crate.

TProc

I always hear a lot about how the linkage makes the gixxxers handle so much better.
I am not gonna knock the statement but I will say that if you understand what that linkage is actually doing from an engineering stand point you can then figure out how to get the ssame results through geometry and spring rate set up.

I weigh 190 pounds and if I made my geometry setups and rear spring rate public it would be a real surprise.
Hint is to go big......Real big. Without giving too much info I will say I run a penske double clicker shock and am up to a 700 lb spring. And the higher I go the better the bike gets. Especially on edge grip.

moto1320

noobinacan;296962 wrote: Rest of the crowd ??? no one else makes a 750 dude!
relative to that bike..triples, twins, 600's, etc.

some the people reviewing these bikes are NOT that fast. So... take all these online and magazine reviews with a grain of salt.
I'm not that fast either. ;) I take it all with a grain of salt. I usually just look for consistencies in reviews. Hell, you can't even test drive them anymore. There isn't much left but reading. It'll be months before I can put this thing through the paces to see whats what anyway.

I like to hear what flipped the switch for people with their bike...if anything. I can tell you for example that I was less than thrilled with my '05 CBR 600rr at first. The rear just felt dead and I never got any feedback from it. After I put the Penske triple on there it was transformative. I really loved it and everything about how I rode that bike and my confidence on it changed. I never do anything because someone on the internet told me to but I keep it in my head while I'm sorting out which way to go. Like I said earlier, I ride a completely stock R6 at the track.

noobinacan

You have 06-R6 right ?

I would ride that R6 and focus on riding.
That bike is plenty good to take you all the way to I and to A group with just suspension and basic mods.

Unless you're not comfortable with the ergonomics or power delivery or seating position.
Ergos can be improved with rearsets adjustments and clipon adjustments.

Stick to a 600, save your $$$ for tires, seat time and suspension.

bacolmm

I love my 2011 750. I had T-Man work his magic on the shock and forks (including extenders). I put a Brembo MC on it, and although it is more of a “want” than a “need” (especially since they have apparently figured out the stock mc issues) I love it! I wasn’t as impressed with the ECU Flash. I ended up getting a Bazzaz setup with auto-tune anyway to get the air/fuel dead on.

moto1320

noobinacan;297062 wrote: You have 06-R6 right ?

I would ride that R6 and focus on riding.
That bike is plenty good to take you all the way to I and to A group with just suspension and basic mods.

Unless you're not comfortable with the ergonomics or power delivery or seating position.
Ergos can be improved with rearsets adjustments and clipon adjustments.

Stick to a 600, save your $$$ for tires, seat time and suspension.
Yes, 06 R6. I know it's a good bike, just not for me. I'm not comfortable on it and never have been. I don't like the ergos. I don't like sitting so high above the bike and forward, it feels like a unicycle with a rudder in the back. Coming off of Hondas, I don't like having to wring its neck to keep it in the powewrband but am getting used to the delivery. I have rear sets and I have clip ons. Respectfully, this was a a thread for people to tell me about their experience with their bike, not what I should do with mine because I'll be on that yellow buzz bomb again this year regardless. For example, if 10 guys of differing ability and styles tell me it took them an inordinate amount of effort and/or money to get the suspension sorted then I would have to consider that in my purchase.

I'm buying a new bike for the street. It will not necessarily be the 750 or even a Suzuki but it seems to be the best fit. I will continue to ride my R6 at the track this season. I've never really gelled with the R6 but am giving it another year to make sure it's not just me thats the problem and putting a little into the suspension. I'm shopping for my street bike with the expectation that I will turn it (or one like it) into a track bike if I'm comfortable on it. So, even though I'm ahead of myself, I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can early since I'm buying something in a week or two.

Another option was to replace my Kawi 636 with the new generation. It'll be a street bike and a good one at that, but I'm also looking into the front end chatter issues way ahead of time because anything I bought would end up on the track eventually. That also has required asking guys who ride that bike at the track questions. I like Dunlops, the Kawi doesn't, and that's what around in the SE. So, that bike may be ruled out for what I buy today so that I don't have to deal with it in a year or two when it's a track bike.

snikwad

As s Honda guy I've owned and tracked 04 1kRR with suspension, brakes etc. then went to a 06 R6. Set the same way. Then to a 05 600RR set the same way. Then to a 06 R1 without the suspension but mostly everything else. Now on a 09 1kRR.
Haven't tracked this last one yet tho.
I will tell u right now. Of that lot, the only one I really miss is the R6. That is one capable machine. I hated the way it finished turns tho, but in hindsight. I should've just adapted to it, as few bikes are as awesome on the track. That said tho, I think in this nearly stick form, that I could beat all my best times at every track I've been to. It's that good.

So don't be too quick to dismiss the R6. Sometimes it's a mental block.
In my mind the ergonomics of the R6 is very close to that if the Honda. That's why I've always stuck to those two brands.