Opinions on 3 year old rain tires

maraujo

Hi I'm looking at a set of pirelli rain tires for sale from a guy local to me was wondering what people thought about 3 year old never used pirelli rain tires properly stored?
Thanks

jebjeb

I would run them if they have been well looked after (stored well). Heck, I ran a front bridgestone rain for 3 season (maybe 4-5 weekends were wet) until I finally noticed it was like 8 years old. However, I don't think I would really pay anything for them, maybe shipping plus a little bit for their time. Don't expect 100% performance but I doubt most of use could use anywhere near 70%.

1up5down

Control Rider
I would not worry about them as long as they were stored appropriately and you said they were.

Toolnround

The tire date code questions always seem to stir a $hitload of debate. Depends on what you're looking for....MotoGP stardom? I wouldn't use anything but the latest/greatest. Using them to save your track day, after the sky opens up on your day.......put them on and use them up.....provided they're not splitting and show signs of being rock hard on the edges of the treads.

I got into track days about 3 years ago, had 2007 dated Michelin Power Race tires, put them on, under the advice of a control rider/former racer, AND Bibman (the Michelin tire guy on the old forum, and someone who would have LOVED to sell me some new tires, I'm sure) and went from B to A on that same set of tires.......BUT......I had peace of mind that all was good, so I wasn't second guessing what the majority of forum members swayed me to believe.

As for the comment of not paying much to anything for them.....then why use them at all, if they're not worth anything? Just go ahead and spend the shwack on a new set, and be confident they will do what they are supposed to do.....smell what I'm putting down ? Ask a question, you'll get a thousand answers.....but only YOU know the correct one.