Chain irregularities..

Hello everyone..once again i would like to draw from the wealth of knowledge available from the people that come here..i recently bought a chain and sprocket set..installed everything and there were no issues..i have done this quite a few times so it wasn't difficult..here is the issue..i was spinning the wheel on the stand and noticed the chain will hop left and right and slightly ride out of the grooves on the plastic slide on top of the swingarm. That was weird looking so i started the bike and just let it idle in gear and watch the chain...as i went through the gears at idle the hop was getting frighteningly violent and loud..is it possible to have a bad chain ? I never had this happen.. I checked wheel alignment and double checked..its seems fine..could a chain be bent left or right ?

FunFred

Are the sprockets and chain guide in line with each other?
If you've done a conversion to 520 or something other than OEM, likely the sprockets have an offset to one side. Could it be that the chain is trying to ride in the guide but a misalignment wants to pull it out of the guide?
Even if you're using the OEM chain size, there could be an offset on one or both sprockets.

The offset was on the outer side of the front sprocket on the original..there was no offset on the new front sprocket..
I looked very closely and everything seemed ok...if i were to turn the front sprocket other side out there would be no change..but i could try that tonight.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Is your sprocket on the wheel correctly? Is your front sprocket on the countershaft and not seated flush?

I mean even if you've done this task 1,000 times, mistakes happen. We're human after all.

Everything seems ok visually..this weekend i am going to just redo the job from the beginning...thanks Dzum and funfred. I will update my findings.

Will update when i take it on...busy schedule with work and domestic stuff..add to that an inch of water in garage...from time to time...maybe this weekend..

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Oh ok, no stress you have more important to things to worry about. I hope all is well!

Quick update...had a couple free hours yesterday so this is what I did...removed chain and since i am also doing chain and sprocket on my 750 (both 520 kits) i decided to use the other chain since its a better one i think..measured and cut chain put it on with spring clip master(temporary) and the chain hop was still there...then i removed rear wheel and rear sprocket..sprocket is flat so i put it back on but turning it 180 degrees..still chain was bouncing...it must be front sprocket which i will check soon...here is the situation with that...the sprocket that came off was flat on both sides and the new vortex front has a shoulder on it so from engine side it goes output shaft, sprocket, thin washer and then sprocket nut...the vortex went on with the shoulder side furthest away from engine and with the tooth count stamping visible. I guess the only thing i still haven't tried is flipping the front sprocket..it goes against common sense since the flat sides of both sprockets are on engine side. I am eager to hear others experiences with the shoulder on the sprocket.

FunFred

If no apparent support issues arise with the shoulder being on the engine side, it can't hurt to see how things line up.

Flipped the Front sprocket..that seems to be the solution....strange...perhaps it was stamped on the wrong side ? I called vortex to get their opinion..they said try flipping it..haha. Thank you everyone.