Am I fooling myself?

rhill

Just keep absorbing info and implementing/improving every time you are at the track.

I'm was pretty happy with my BP before, but noticed (in vid and pics) my outside knee always seemed to be jetting out from the bike when leaned over. Put a piece of 2" thick piece of foam on the tank as a "crotch pad" to train myself to stay back from the tank. Seems to have worked, because the pad fell off and the photos from PicsOfYou don't have my outside knee stickin out at the moon.

#44 in the backround is looking good!

0B-XVdv90ogogVHRRbDRPSU5PUFE

rhill

well, google photos and drive sucks to link photos from...work one day and the next they are broken

Attachments

• N2N_3730.jpg
    N2N_3730.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 34

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
In google photos, select the photo from a shared via link album, then do right click copy image location. Then paste the link into the incert image dialog box on the foum editor, but add ?.jpeg to the end of the link....Then click ok.....then you have a picture in a post....
Should look something like this....
Code:
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/D4M4YRVDejcArdU5qut9aBrQl7rnO3M-b_0U6gWoXFvvyRb7UEyiLlAKsZWwOHodRlqoQ_bbr8segJCDp9P1yunaoUcl9WFizfhpcyFIy_0ZAJkzU7GFmI_U4rFP3_UoyBQIFz7aoDxiwlX_G-r0_n1QUhXHIQGpzdxZ0UQpVTn0BD7-vwmLzQFS0nOJNMLGAkJnYB9WKQJsvs0ehhcTKuM5et3_iIVc5t1XIm_fHVJRM_LI8USutCODFDf7weted3o5U5tn1qGZy6vKqF43uf5y7lnwevWrrYWJGaUjkqj6NjHVvSDDrJyD3rHATYzr_HuNHoN4IQ8e04qeT6XSASxmmIr3GD0X_oU8ABWS2cIsbpXeZenj7agIFjPgs8TtNAlZvHa_qzMuxJ-zYAB-IbRsfXa8loLdEraHipKsoryntU6EHACbIZy_3po-gN2LnhPhVn0yQeBvS-r4tVsoobrNtOklnTDwRLF_2f8X8roJW_6ezsBPXf4tN4MeBO32KaZhkDjIivgtI6_RXg3I1M6HcGz7f_DvICX4Q5PRQTEzM-939o-K21tCYiDFz4rS3eQ2Bc63bwD-DKWDHs0KIOTKqe6TSQPBab7pwVFDS66psttd=w476-h634-no?.jpeg[/img]
....to get this...
D4M4YRVDejcArdU5qut9aBrQl7rnO3M-b_0U6gWoXFvvyRb7UEyiLlAKsZWwOHodRlqoQ_bbr8segJCDp9P1yunaoUcl9WFizfhpcyFIy_0ZAJkzU7GFmI_U4rFP3_UoyBQIFz7aoDxiwlX_G-r0_n1QUhXHIQGpzdxZ0UQpVTn0BD7-vwmLzQFS0nOJNMLGAkJnYB9WKQJsvs0ehhcTKuM5et3_iIVc5t1XIm_fHVJRM_LI8USutCODFDf7weted3o5U5tn1qGZy6vKqF43uf5y7lnwevWrrYWJGaUjkqj6NjHVvSDDrJyD3rHATYzr_HuNHoN4IQ8e04qeT6XSASxmmIr3GD0X_oU8ABWS2cIsbpXeZenj7agIFjPgs8TtNAlZvHa_qzMuxJ-zYAB-IbRsfXa8loLdEraHipKsoryntU6EHACbIZy_3po-gN2LnhPhVn0yQeBvS-r4tVsoobrNtOklnTDwRLF_2f8X8roJW_6ezsBPXf4tN4MeBO32KaZhkDjIivgtI6_RXg3I1M6HcGz7f_DvICX4Q5PRQTEzM-939o-K21tCYiDFz4rS3eQ2Bc63bwD-DKWDHs0KIOTKqe6TSQPBab7pwVFDS66psttd=w476-h634-no

rhill

Thanks!

I did something similar to that in a different thread and for some reason they broke after a few days. I'll try using this method. It's too bad they can't just give a direct link instead of their windowed version when choosing "get link".

Going slow on the big bike:
ZDP1XJHnGb685EzFqaKhN98qi2fiakahbtkwgusxBexpsNTAUimSVsyFTh8sjC1LfaOfaSrTIGTP9tTy0GG3SR_BcG5HcakTNJe8yrv_9H6Nh0Dt-O20av6qWKlf9VzjPPgjasfjBok6r2F5a8OsL-boce4pwuK8s-ZGzGr0nVsuURRju31dfp0-1mphC4qI5rKa_7sgKdIwWkRSAUXsLzWO-Qfgizmql_h9kx_I7ymSmYE5w1_E_t4VdL8-clSG-7uNLzF0IXYOSAjyb2uBnfyIMHmTleL5EyhC0LnWCzCFmIpv4onGvkZytXR1NMlxlWN_s-h5TeB89TZ4N2J5tllz8UTu_QvwGljnU6XIB_U8J7_7cU8pA_BPtLKs2iBCfJ17-MrxsaN5bSh8pK8zSlZdKnsgs-q3yBcSG-2HWTGIl1Zo8gn9JMGGMFtNtFVSvG6hjt1sbcOrKpAV-xMt9cGYrRkhjuYxtI_MZA7lfrefmS3dtVgnHXm0BOb_05aayqK2eS1yzg_i8AYZbncMDhG5YbZs3SaVbYWRnGxep1nsW2uQ52nYfA84cQiZHLOo4jt5Qc194wTTHW93cMBkjR1yliFmbOoh1NUQNR57uMpUaFBC=w1196-h794-no

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Thanks!

I did something similar to that in a different thread and for some reason they
Try to have a friend hold the bike upright for you, and sit on it/lean off. If you had a mirror to look at, that'd make it even better. Practicing it on a static bike will at least give you an idea for what it feels like to have proper body position. Heck, I'll hold your bike for you and help with body position if I'm at your next event.
I appreciate the offer for help holding my bike so I can get a feel for proper bp on my bike but unless a miracle happens the only possible track day I could make would be the weekend at Barber and that doesn't seem very likely. :( Also I want to tell you thanks for helping me get in at PittRace back in May, it was awesome.

What are you not happy with?

There is a big mental hurdle to get over when changing body position, especially when there isn't something you can directly feel. Best way IMHO is running a tail camera pointed at you ass, then trying different things.

For me, the biggest impact occurred when I tried turning my shoulders into the turn. Didn't immediately feel anything different, but watching the video after, it was immediately recognizable as an improvement.

Another one that helped get my head over; always trying to see the outside of the front fairing out of the corner of my eye when leaned over

You can work on body position on any bike....I was on a multistrada and hypermotard working on my body position to avoid dragging parts during a dealer trackday.
I'm basically not happy with the fact that from Barber last year to PittRace in May my bp looks worse. I got my head way up high and my upper body is over the tank, hardly any upper body shift at all. My lower half looks good all the way to my feet, at least to my eyes. Maybe that's the problem, I think I look right but I'm not experienced enough to see my mistakes.

So much great advice! I have read this post over and over again. I will try everything listed here the next time I'm at the track. On a tangent note, any suggestions for what kind of camera I should use? I assume a GoPro but which one.

I actually was laughing when I read this because I wonder if it's a case of "when two worlds collide", since you are an MSF instructor.

I felt the same frustration this year when I took the MSF rider coach course. I did great in the written and classroom teaching, but had an epic fail for range exercises. Tried as I could, I could not WILL my body to ride like a first time rider no matter how hard I tried (damn muscle memory). I was scolded for not having 4 fingers on the brake/clutch, leaning in a turn, and having my knee out... instead of pressed to the tank. Oh and couldn't apply back brake hahaha.

When I read your post, I really had the same feelings of frustrations. But... try, try, again haha so I'll probably submit myself to the same torture in '17. I know there are MSF instructors that can bridge the gap, some of us take more work!

I love BP. It's one of my favorite things about this sport! One of the things that initially helped me was strengthening and conditioning the muscles I needed to do this. I do "heismans" on the balls of my feet mostly and another exercise on a pole. Then I have the strength to get off the bike.

I also imagine myself as a jockey and never letting my butt touch the seat and smoothly pivoting from side to side. Getting your head out is probably the hardest. I was behind a CR once (Les) at Lightning and I remember his exaggerated movements... almost like he was pointing to the cone with the crown of his head. That was a big "aha" moment.

"Drop elbow and shoulder will follow" is another. And while a lot like their elbow on the outside of their knee, I feel more comfortable with my elbow on the inside of it. Try what works for you. Also, "screwdriver grip" on handlebars and relaxed grip is hugely helpful.

Other than practicing on a bike on stands, make sure that at the lunch riders meeting you are not shy and ASK if you can sit on the bike after the initial demo. They can position you so you can really get a sense of what it feels like so you can put it into practice.

So Mike.... try, try, again!

Hope to see you again sometime... maybe next season!
I think that's part of my frustration. For several years I have been the go to coach for MSF in my area when it comes to the ARC/sport bike technique class, especially when they found out that I ride on the track and am more comfortable than the other coaches when it comes to this class. We teach upper body shift but when I look at my pictures from the track my upper body is the last thing to move. Aaaggghhh!!!!

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
I think that's part of my frustration. For several years I have been the go to coach for MSF in my area when it comes to the ARC/sport bike technique class, especially when they found out that I ride on the track and am more comfortable than the other coaches when it comes to this class. We teach upper body shift but when I look at my pictures from the track my upper body is the last thing to move. Aaaggghhh!!!!
Mike, something to keep in mind, pictures will only capture a point in time. They don't always tell the whole story of what you are doing on the bike. That is why we use video review in ATP and YCRS. The video doesn't lie ;-) A self mounted camera will help but to get the whole picture you need a camera bike following you. Your brain needs the correlation between what it sees and what it is telling your body to do in order to make effective changes. Every little bit helps but we have found these to be the most effective tools.

mpusch

Micah
On a tangent note, any suggestions for what kind of camera I should use? I assume a GoPro but which one.

I'm sure there's plenty of good choices, but I've had good success with the GoPro Hero. Not the "3" or "4", but the low $100 one just called the hero. Cheap, can shoot 1080p, battery lasts all track day, noise is good even on the front of the bike in the wind. I even put it through two high sides and you'd never know it by looking at it.

Here's a sample from earlier this year: