R6 or R3?

CBRtist

Due a recent windfall :), I'm considering some purchases. One of which is a new street bike.

I was pretty enamored with an R6 I looked at recently. My track bike is a 600. I also thought that the R6 could serve as a "backup bike" for track.

On the other hand, I've seen people having tons of fun on R3s at the track. I'm really not a speed rider and get my thrills from refining "technique". My thoughts are, why have two 600s when I can diversify? Side advantage may be when Ria starts doing grown up track, she'll have a hand me down bike.

Any thoughts, advice, etc? Like to think on this quite a bit before purchasing and factor it all in.

FYI, I'm pretty sure between those two bikes... so not necessarily looking for suggestions for other makes/models.

Gracias!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
ZX10!

Wait...not looking for other suggestions...hmm. Ok.

R3 all the way! I think you'll find the R3 to be far less intimidating than any 600. With more confidence comes more speed. Additionally, I do not see the point of owning two 600's unless they are the exact same bike and one serves as a B bike.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Rc390 more torque better 300 class bike shit tons of fun on the track, if I make it to barber and you're there you're more than welcome to turn some laps on it .

I think you answered your question when you said your daughter will be needing a bike in the days to come..the money you save buying an R3 can be used to get whatever track parts you feel it needs and the bonus factor of you get to shake the bugs out for a while before she needs it. .. However if your current bike is an r6 it would be nice to have spares in either direction. I bought an 02 gsxr 750 to ride on the street with the idea that i basically have spare parts for my 600 should it need something in a hurry.
Tough call... I say get the R3

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I had 2 R6s. One was a street bike. Riding the street on an R6 is torture. Riding an R6 on the racetrack is awesome! I'm hoping an R1 on the track is as much fun.

For a street bike, since you're not taking other suggestions, get an R3.

If you're taking other suggestions, HyperMotard all the way for the WIN!!!! Most awesome street bike ever!!!!!!!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Que Bueno!

Road Racing world did a recent test of the 300 class with control tires, the KTM was over a 1 second a lap faster than the second place R3. A couple of folks rode my 390 at shenny as well as the r3 and had experience with the ninja 250/300 they might chime in here too. Farrel, Robert....