R1 ?

Ron R

Was thinking of getting a new old stock 2013 or 2014 R1. Is there anything I should be aware of ? Thanks

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
You should be aware that the 2015 R1 fixed all of the issues associated with the 09-14 R1 and then some. Put a little more money in your budget and get the 2015. You will not regret it!

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
For the 09-14, it will need a flash, at least a 3/4 system, and linear springs in font....

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
You can read my build thread on the R1-Forum for some more info...

Don't hesitate to ask questions...

Whereabouts are you located?

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
It's a boat. Okay as a street bike, but if you're riding on track- you're much better getting a 2015+ R1. If you're set on something a few years old, go with a ZX10R, shoot even a GSXR 1000 is better in terms of not handling like a barge (and I'm not a fan of gixxers in general). Or better yet, 600 of some sort. Or better better yet, SV650!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It's a boat. Okay as a street bike, but if you're riding on track- you're much better getting a 2015+ R1. If you're set on something a few years old, go with a ZX10R, shoot even a GSXR 1000 is better in terms of not handling like a barge (and I'm not a fan of gixxers in general). Or better yet, 600 of some sort. Or better better yet, SV650!

Yep. I've never been a fan of the 09-14 R1's either.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Until this generation, I never liked the R1. I rode a few friend's bikes prior to the 09 release, and just never felt comfortable.
Then in 09 I test rode the 09 at NJMP on a NESBA weekend. WOW I couldn't wait to get off that bike. It was just a completely
bad experience.

I don't care what the Graves and WSBK teams did to their bikes in those years, it's a testament to how great Josh Hayes and Ben Spies are as
riders to accomplish what they accomplished on that platform in AMA and WSBK racing. Those teams did some hefty polishing work on those
turds, but if those two riders were not at the helm, they don't accomplish nearly as much as those teams did in those years.

Now the current generation R1...completely different story. It's ergos and handling very much resemble the R6 with amazing power.