520 chains for 1000cc bikes

noobinacan

Hey folks..those of you on 1000cc's running 520 conversion
Which chain are you all running ?

How long does it last for you ? how long does your rear sprocket last ? given usual track use...generally speaking.

Thanks

Matt

We replace the 520 chains on our bikes every season, I guess you could try for two seasons..

rear sprockets, depends on what they're made of... Aluminum can make it a season, but with as much as we CR, ride advanced and race, it's more like 3-4 months.

j_fuggin_t

some guy #2;178949 wrote: I just changed over from stock to a EK 520 MVXZ. We'll see how it holds up.
i've ran that chain for a long time, they have 9000 lb tensile strength so your good for a while, they don't stretch much either..

rk97

I think it's also worth noting that CR's ride close to twice as many miles each trackday, and probably twice as many trackdays (or more) a year.

So whatever CR's say here, multiply by 4, unless you're riding 40 days a year. In that case, replacing a chance every 3 months probably isn't a major expense!

Mikey75702

If you are worried about longevity, driven is making a kit with steel sprockets. Though that does take away from the benefit of the 520

noobinacan

thanks folks
I think rotational weight savings are huge. The 530 stuff I took off is all steel and weigh's probably twice of what the 520 setup will.

Just ordered DID 520ZVMX - says its rated up to 1200cc.

some guy #2

madriders86;178967 wrote: I don't see any benefit to a 520 unless you're racing anyway :p
For dizzle. If you need to buy a new chain then why not but I would not replace a perfectly good stocker for one.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have run a 520 on both of my R1's. I have used aluminum rear sprockets exclusively up to this point. I just mounted a Superlite steel sprocket in the 520 size on my bike. I expect to see significantly better wear than what I have experienced. I do about 15 trackdays a year in advanced and my sprockets have worn out every year. My chain might be ok, but I've always changed my chain when the sprocket goes. Maybe this setup will get me another half a season. We will see.

Lonewrench

Use a good 520 chain and good all sprockets. Keep your chain adjusted,cleaned and lubed but not excessively and it will last alot of track days. The Vortex PTFE black sprockets are very good. Here;s a bit of info for you. The grease/chainlube that builds up on the pad of the sprocket tooth is a good thing,it actually pads the chain roller and extends the chain and sprocket life. Dont forget with anX ring chain your only lubing the outside and the rollers. :) We use RK and DID stuff with our AMA bikes they are awesome. I know Attack Perf uses EK without fail as well

noobinacan

Lonewrench;179071 wrote: Use a good 520 chain and good all sprockets. Keep your chain adjusted,cleaned and lubed but not excessively and it will last alot of track days. The Vortex PTFE black sprockets are very good. Here;s a bit of info for you. The grease/chainlube that builds up on the pad of the sprocket tooth is a good thing,it actually pads the chain roller and extends the chain and sprocket life. Dont forget with anX ring chain your only lubing the outside and the rollers. :) We use RK and DID stuff with our AMA bikes they are awesome. I know Attack Perf uses EK without fail as well
thanks good bit of info
How often have you seen chain replacements for superbike class ?
Is it every AMA event ? and so on ?

Cyclepath

Superbike teams replace chains every event typically, but lets not forget they are getting their chains for free and in the event of a failure they just threw at least $20K out the window for a wasted event. I have been running takeoff chains from an AMA superbike team for the last 5 years and have never had an issue. Well taken care of, a good o-ring chain will last a couple seasons.

FYI - the chains i use are DID ERV3

Lonewrench

In my opinion the DID ERV3 is the BEST chain made. When you put a new one on your bike the bike rolls like its on air,its amazing. The issue for most is the cost,but the life is long as hell if cared for :)

Joe Vital

Lonewrench, do you think there is any significant advantage to installing a non o-ring chain on a bike to reduce frictional loss? Putting aside the increased maintenence, or decreased service life, it seems on the surface a non o-ring chain would provide less rolling resistance.

Lonewrench

Honestly,if you talk to a GP guy they will say yes but truthfully us diesel guys like to stick to low maintenance stuf :)

Cyclepath

For short term use, non o-ring chains are fine. For the extra 100'th of a second, id rather not worry about it....

noobinacan

so you guys got any tips of stopping all this grease fling off new chain.
I cleaned up the excess pretty good before installed it..
and am glad I installed the sprocket covers/ rear guard back on...cause that grease flung everywhere first ride...

I know its sorta needed...but anyway to cut down on it ?

noobinacan

j_fuggin_t;180004 wrote: impossible my friend, you could brake clean that chain & stuff will STILL fling off, all just a matter of time bud ;)
k thanks dude
I'm just gonna let it fling off as much as it wants for a week and remove covers and clean once more while its still fresh...