8/26 Summit Main

Craig F

Wow, according to my profile I started with N2 in 2008, which means I'm a little overdue for my first intro post!

I've been away a bit but after almost 4 and a half years away from the track yesterday was just outstanding. I wss concerned with how much I would remember, especially on a new bike fresh from the dealer floor.

N2 made the return like I never left. U guys and gals really put on a great event. I'm glad to be back with you and happy to be doing trackdays again.

Look forward to the next time!

Craig

Craig F

Thank you!
I think I'm a candidate for a good study. I say that because I raced in Japan quite a bit before 2008 and when I started trackdays with N2 in 2009, I was in good race shape. I rode the N2 trackdays with a 2006 600cc trackbike. Obviously no electronics.

According to my notes my lap time then was high '22s at Summit - Main. I hung up the leathers in 2015 and focused on restoring old Mustangs.

Why say all this? Well the new bike is a 2017 RSV4 RF liter bike with absolutely no changes from the dealer except a slip on. But it does have all the bells and whistles electronics.

So I am a good test case for todays technology compared to a decade ago. Answer: Best lap was a '21.8

So u can be over 50 years old and stay away from the track for some years and go faster than you did when you were racing by buying a modern bike. If you wait a decade. At least that's how it worked for me :)

bmart

Control Rider
That is a beautiful bike!

Us old guys do have Rossi on our team (even if he is only 40)! I'm in my 50s too and have new best times at nearly all tracks I've been to in the last two years. However, I won't get into the new tech. I'm still running the same "old style" equipment, also with no electronics and almost no modifications. I'm not especially skilled and "even I can do it!" lol

Hope to see you out there if you get to Road Atlanta, CMP, NC Bike, VIR. If I could spend that much time in the car, I'd love to get back to Pitt and Summit one day.

Craig F

I understand that sentiment.

But the tech is out there and used at the highest levels. So I wondered if the things that filtered down to something I can ride really work or are they "gimmicks"?

My experience tells me they really work.
The traction control; set it and don't think about rear traction the rest of the day, good luck computer.
Anti-wheelie control: thanks for managing the exit of turn 9 leaned over where there is slight dip.
Autoblipper: I didn't use the clutch all day. Didn't miss it either
ABS: well, lower the setting or the computer will decide how hard you get to stop at the end of the front straight. That was an unpleasant surprise
Telemery data: wow, ridiculous how much data the thing gathers and displays for thoughtful debrief of each session.

Oh and the bike itself is pretty good too. ;)

Can I manage without all the tech? Sure. Did for the last 47 years of riding. Do I want to? No. I'm sold on it.

Just one guys .02

Hope to see you at a venue :)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Interesting, thanks for that perspective. I'm still on "old school" equipment. I am curious about all the electronic gizmos. But, I'm really good at throttle blipping, LOL

bmart

Control Rider
Most of my riding buddies have gone to litre bikes with full electronics packages. I take advantage of the Yamaha test rides, which gives me some exposure to how they work. It is an interesting part of the sport, and definitely the way of the future. Also not insignificant, is the quality of components, specifically the chassis/suspension which are at a level that even racers couldn't access not so long ago. It is a great time to be a part of the sport we love.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
Hey Craig, nice to read about someone with a similar experience (except for the racing in Japan part). I remember seeing your bike. Nice, btw.

Craig F

Thank you.
This reminds me I should mention I rode with Motorcycle Xcitement Sunday, for the first time.
Since they had no record of me I contacted them and said I'd rather not start in the novice class and that I rode in the Advanced Group with N2.
Roger Lyle was kind enough to email me back and said if I bring proof showing I ride in the N2 Advanced Group he'll put me in the Motorcycle Xcitement Advanced Group.
So I printed out the "my personal info" on the N2 page and sure enough, at registration they accepted it and I had a great day.

FYI for those that find themselves in that situation.

As for the bike, I switched the computer to Track Mode from Sport Mode and ran '21s for lap times.
It's sorely tempting me to convert the thing from a street bike to a track bike and mount some race tires just to see whats possible.

Craig F

So I'll start here and expand my search but I would love to get back into endurance racing. Any tips out there, besides go faster?

tdelegram

Control Rider
There’s one more round left for the n2/wera endurance series at Barber in October, sv’s, 600’ and liter bikes run for 4 hours, 300,s are a separate 2 hour race. I think the rules are still up on the n2 website.

Craig F

Thank you.
You don't happen to know a team that wants a run down old
Japanese circuit racer with 1000cc bike to contribute to the cause?