A Suggestion - CRs pit together

thundertwini

This has probably been discussed before, but here goes:

Why don't all the CR's pit together? So we can find them after a session? It would be so nice to have all the CRs pitted in the same area, so after a session, you park your bike, take off your helmet, and then wander over and talk to whoever. I often don't know the CR's names, and I can't catch their bike numbers, and I don't have time to wander the entire paddock to locate them.

It would be nice if they were all in one spot.

Just sayin'.

Meat

I think that they have made an effort to not do that so much in the Southeast. At least that is the way it looks, which I actually like. Often times people are intimidated by going up to a group of guys they don't really know. So spreading them out makes them more accessible. At least that is the way I would feel.

I know most of the regular-attending CR's in the Southeast, so approaching them is no issue, but I think it would definitely be an issue for many.

avizpls

#11-A
well, seems like at MA events we get both. A group of 4 or 5 is always together with the rest throughout.

racer23

Meat is correct.

I tried this in the Midwest, and the feedback I received was that it is far more intimidating to approach a large group of CR's than if there were only one or two.

My thoughts were on the same level as yours, to make them accessible and easy to find. However, the reality is, newer members were intimidated.

With that said, ANYONE, at ANY TIME, is welcome in my pit space. I bring along extra chairs, and plenty of cold water to share, so pull up a chair and introduce yourself.

PITZER

Why would I want to pit with that bunch of phuckers??????? LOL

All jokes aside, we try to pit as close as we can and still have the power supplies and room for the rigs as possible. Most of the SE tracks the CRs are pitted together or close to each other.

We have tired the hats and the shirts but when it is 100 degrees and you just rolled off the track the last thing you want is a hat or another layer of clothing. Maybe this will be resolved in the future so that it is easier to pick out a CR.
IMG00194.jpg

stow

Very cool leathers on our leader. Where can I get one of the NESBA patches?

When I was a mere B guy starting out in NESBA, I found the group of CRs to be somewhat intimidating. They never gave me reason to feel that way, but that is the way I felt. I made sure to talk to them at pitwall at the end of a session, but never really got to know the CRs much until the past year or two. They really are a great group of guys and really enjoy helping the members. If you ever have a problem or just need help, be sure to talk to a CR or Director. They may not be able to help you at that exact moment, but they will do their best to get you the help or advice you need.

Our CRs and Directors rock.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
After each session, most of the CR's take a minute to make themselves available at or neat pit-in to discuss the previous session with riders they were just out with during that session. It allows them to provide feedback best as that's when the critique information is probably freshest in their minds.

That being said, I've never had a CR be anything but courteous, professional and helpful whenever I ask them for assistance. If you want some CR time during the day...walk up and ask..they may not be able to work with you the immediate next session, but they do a great job of making time for anyone that wants it.

DFlowe

I'm currently fortunate enough to be a Control Rider with NESBA. Before I became a CR, I always preferred the CR's to be out and parked with everyone else. That way, relationships are more likely to develop and they seem more easily approached.

You could make the arguement either way, but what I preferred as a traditional club member and what I try to do as a CR.

thundertwini

it is sometimes difficult to have a discussion with helmets on, earplugs in, while balancing bikes with no sidestands.

I hadn't thought about the intimidation factor, because I wouldn't be intimidated. Its just that I can't see faces inside the helmets, and I have difficulty remembering bike numbers since I am busy focussing on so much other stuff while on track. I only recognize a few CRs by name, so the rest of the CRs that I ride with -- I have no idea what they actually look like or what their names are. I would like to talk to them more, but it is hard just to figure out who the CRs are off the track, and then track them down in the paddock.

Last track day, the two afternoon sessions, I was riding behind a CR for a couple of laps, then he waved me by. He followed me for a couple more laps, showing me a wheel inside a couple of corners, then backed off. (i guess to guage my reaction?) I don't know who it was. After the session, I pulled off and waited by pit out with about 7 other guys, and none of the CRs approached me, so after waiting for a few minutes, I went back and parked the bike. It would be nice to be able to find ALL the CRs and ask "Which one of you was it that I was riding with?".

dbakerpa

It is a hazard in the paddock to have that many drunks together in the evenings. Especially in an area where there is combustable fluids. ....just a theory.

ckw373

I just recently attended my first two trackdays at Blackhawk on Labor Day weekend, and I can understand both sides of the argument. It can be difficult to track someone down that you saw in a helmet and full race gear and it's even more difficult to take note of something unique about their bike or outfit when you are out on the track.

I also think it would be intimidating to have to approach a whole group of people. I am not the most outgoing person sometimes and at least I feel that when you approach even a small group of people, sometimes whatever they were doing stops because you are there and you feel like all eyes and ears are on you.

I was lucky enough to meet some nice people and introduce myself. However, I did encounter the "who the heck was following me" and not get the opportunity to ask for feedback.

I did have an idea from all of this though. I seemed to be seeing the CRs a lot from the back while I was on the track (I'm sure because I was slow!) I wondered if it would be possible to have the CRs bike number on the back of their shirt in large numbers, like a jersey. It could be taken a step further by having an sign with the same number on it stuck in the ground by their pits. Pretty simple and cheap. Food for thought anyway.

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
I like the numbers or names on the shirt idea.....lot of CR's already put their names on the shirt.

Gotta remember that all of the CR's were riders that came up through the Nesba ranks pitting with their friends. Seems like a lot to ask them to give that up to be a CR. We can all find the director at the Nesba table and they could tell us where to find a particular CR if we have their name or shirt number.

And......there is a critical mass with regard to how many CR's you can have in a small area......

frankenduc

Smithereens;152273 wrote: I like the numbers or names on the shirt idea.....lot of CR's already put their names on the shirt.

Gotta remember that all of the CR's were riders that came up through the Nesba ranks pitting with their friends. Seems like a lot to ask them to give that up to be a CR. We can all find the director at the Nesba table and they could tell us where to find a particular CR if we have their name or shirt number.

And......there is a critical mass with regard to how many CR's you can have in a small area......
As evidenced by saturday night.

dbakerpa

I would like to see the bike numbers on the shirts. I have had the opportunity to meet most of them and now recognize who they are - but occasionally I cant figure out who was towing me around.

gkotlin

Numbers sometimes change if you race and the number you had isn't available.

There was some thought of marking CR's pit areas. Some expressed concern that it might lead to items disappearing from your pit area if it was known you were gone for a while. It's hard to believe, but at larger events that draw more people then the typical core of upstanding Nesba members, things tend to disappear more as it is.

We stop at the track exit after each session. Come up and chat with us. Roll up and ask where we're pitted because you'd like to talk after lunch.

Honestly, I'm only at my pit area for a few minutes each hour to drink water and fuel up. The easiest place to find me is on the track.

thundertwini

lemondrop;152439 wrote: .....huh??

my bike doesn't have a sidestand, so i can't just pop the stand down and get off it right there at pit out.... many other guys also don't have sidestands. so the bike has to be straddled and balanced. which makes it harder to concentrate on what some dude with a helmet on is telling me through my helmet and earplugs.

got it?