Advanced Group Coolants

bmart

Control Rider
I agree, Jack, but no one would show up. A lot of those folks bring their street bikes and don't know a lot about maintaining them themselves.

I use H2O and Water Wetter, flushed and refreshed annually. It has done the trick for decades without issue, and it costs almost nothing. E-Z

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I agree, Jack, but no one would show up. A lot of those folks bring their street bikes and don't know a lot about maintaining them themselves.

I use H2O and Water Wetter, flushed and refreshed annually. It has done the trick for decades without issue, and it costs almost nothing. E-Z

Same, but because I'm paranoid, I switch back to antifreeze for winter storage. It normally doesn't get below freezing in my garage, but it does on occasion. One deep freeze and I'd be kicking myself for not doing something that takes relatively little time and effort.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I understand why the rules are the way they are....as a CR I wish the N and I groups would also comply with the A group rules....just say'in. Now, if "they" would just invent non-slippery oil..........:eek:

If you run Motul 300v in your bike, and since it looks like anti-freeze in your oil sight glass, does that mean it's twice as slippery when it's dumped on track as regular engine oil? o_O

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Do you ride it? If not, and you can't help yourself, just drain it in the fall and refill in the spring. Leave it empty.

So I've had several bikes over the years (haven't we all) and I have had varying experiences. Some bikes had nothing but water wetter in them for years and I never had any corrosive problems. Other bikes, I'd see some sediment in the cooling system after a season of water wetter. Nothing major, but noticeable specs of crud. Aging radiators, water pumps, who the hell knows the exact reason why it forms on some bikes and not others.

I've always made it a habit to put anti freeze in over the winter, one, I know there's a zero percent chance of water pooling in any part of the motor and freezing. Secondly, on those rare semi warm days, I can fire up the bike and run it up and down the street, just cause without burning up the water pump or over heating the motor. And third, since doing so, I haven't had any issues with sediment build up in any bike I've had. I am a firm believer that anti freeze provides some anti corrosive properties and for my use, this serves as the best of both worlds solution. Obviously I am sure to flush the cooling system for the spring time once or twice before calling it good.

Poper

Secondly, on those rare semi warm days, I can fire up the bike and run it up and down the street, just cause without burning up the water pump or over heating the motor.

I do the exact same thing! Come March/April, when we get a 60* day, I pull the cover off the bike and run it up the road.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've always made it a habit to put anti freeze in over the winter, one, I know there's a zero percent chance of water pooling in any part of the motor and freezing.

This. This is why I bother. I know I'd worry about water trapped behind the thermostat, in hoses, etc. LOL. I flush it really well in the spring and fill with water/water wetter.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
For me with open trailer or in bikes the bed of truck, the early season events when its below freezing up north and we head south I typically run Engine Ice for the antifreeze. Then when it gets warmer up north I switch to Water Wetter.