Another new guy!

DethWshBkr

Joining up as I'm "track curious".

I'm a 15 year MX racer, who never had a street bike off the roads. Never interested in being a "johnny rocket racer" on the public roads - that was where my off road came in. Had to stop riding in 2014 due to having a small business and a 1 year old at the time. Finally got myself another bike, and I'm kind of itching to try it out on a track. My racing days are done, so I'm not looking to get serious with it...but it would be nice every now and again to be able to push a bike a bit in an environment where you're not dealing with garbage roads, debris and animals on the roadway, as well as driver's seemingly ready to smash you for fun.

I know I will have some questions on attire and such, but just saying "hello" for the moment!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201123-093436~2.png
    Screenshot_20201123-093436~2.png
    864.5 KB · Views: 20

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Nice Repsol! For starters, check out our Riders Manual, it has a ton of great info, including gear requirments and tech requirements:

You'll have a blast riding on the track, and learn a ton about becoming a more proficient rider. There are CRs (Control Riders) in orange shirts at all events, ask them questions. They will show you the line around the track and give riding pointers.

DethWshBkr

You've come to the right place! Welcome. What part of the U.S. are you in?

I figured any place with "track days" in the title was a great place to start! Ha! Looking forward to hopefully getting involved now and again and enjoying the bike more like it's designed!

I am just outside Harrisburg PA.

bmart

Control Rider
You're lucky to be near Pitt Race. I rode there a few times when I lived in Boston...but it was a long trip, only 1/2 of the track was developed, and the pit area was terrible. Definitely put that one on your list! And if you get south, some by adn say hello. Living in Charlotte, Nc, I'm generally at the VIR, Road Atlanta, NC Bike, and CMP events.

2blueyam

Great spot for track riding. You are not far from Pitt Race, NJMP or Summit Point. All are good tracks. Welcome and hope to see you out at an event next year.

DethWshBkr

Great spot for track riding. You are not far from Pitt Race, NJMP or Summit Point. All are good tracks. Welcome and hope to see you out at an event next year.

Looks like NJMP is 2.25 hours, Summit is 2.2 hours, and Pitt is 4.5 hours!
I've been to Tomahawk many times in Hedgesville WV for MX (loved that place). Any recommendations as to which would be the best to "start" with?

1up5down

Control Rider
Welcome, you’ll fit in great as you finish how you start. You started with an openness to introduce yourself to greet and meet others, humbleness to ask questions to ensure you learn good habits... can’t wait to have the pleasure to ride with you!

As to what track to start out on first? That’s easy, the one that fits your schedule the best. There aren’t too many opportunities to ride Summit Main course, it is fun, so look out for those dates. Pitt is a great track with elevation,amust ride in my opinion. NJMP is a physical track with more right hand turn than lefts. You’ll have fun at all of them.

Welcome again and enjoy the winter to help ensure you’re ready come spring!

DethWshBkr

Welcome, you’ll fit in great as you finish how you start. You started with an openness to introduce yourself to greet and meet others, humbleness to ask questions to ensure you learn good habits... can’t wait to have the pleasure to ride with you!

As to what track to start out on first? That’s easy, the one that fits your schedule the best. There aren’t too many opportunities to ride Summit Main course, it is fun, so look out for those dates. Pitt is a great track with elevation,amust ride in my opinion. NJMP is a physical track with more right hand turn than lefts. You’ll have fun at all of them.

Welcome again and enjoy the winter to help ensure you’re ready come spring!

Thank you! I may have to try Pitt out then. I know the tracks that had natural elevation change are usually the best in the MX world, I'd imagine the same holds true here.

Just need to get myself a set of leathers (just have a jacket right now) and a set of boots. Finding the size will probably be the hardest, as I've just gotten fat since stopping the MX!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome for sure Pitt, but all tracks are fun and provide their own challenges.Feel free to post up questions here we all started the same place you did. Additionally, there lots of former and current dirt riders on the track, former ama D5 vet c rider rider here and that was a long time ago. When you have decided which event you’re going to post up so we can get you some extra first timer help.