Barber registrations not showing-up in account??

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
stkr;301744 wrote: That pretty much sums it up. ;-)

Maybe they're concentrating on the Mid Atlantic now that YCRS is out at NJMP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Highly doubt it. Very few NJMP dates on the calendar this year. A bunch were canceled last year too. All regions are now fitting the Midwest pattern, sadly.

meanstrk

Control Rider
If NESBA is in trouble, IMO someone should step up and say so.
This. It would be nice if someone had a backbone and would just tell us what the deal is. We are big boys and we can take it.

I do suspect that there are many of us that paid in advance for multiple days that will be HIGHLY upset if they completely lose those funds though.

We are to the point already where the confidence in the organization has been shaken enough that people are talking about no more trust in NESBA and their money. It already appears that TPM and STT are going to be getting more business that NESBA will be losing.

Speaking as a member of what I consider the NESBA family, that sucks.

michicago

I am one of the members that signed up for Barber and several other weekends back in January. Further, I am one that has suffered the lack of customer service NESBA has been growing a reputation for as of late. It has been ~5 weeks since I opened up a customer service issue for my account and it still not resolved - even though it would take someone all of 5 minutes to address it. I know I'm not the only one in this postion by any stretch of the imagination, but for what it's worth I would strongly suggest you challenge any NESBA prepaid purchases with your credit card company today. Most CC issuers allow a dispute to be completed online, so your time invested to get the ball rolling should be minimal. Every day counts since most issuers have a hard stop at 60 days after which you must seek alternate, often less successful methods to recoup your money.

If after 5 weeks I can't get a reply to an e-mail after spending $2000, I don't suddently expect that to change. Especially with the influx of complaints that are bound to be coming NESBA's way with this last minute cancellation.

I have registered for 4 track days total already, Paid with paypal. Just checked and I have 45 days from my purchase to file a complaint. I will just wait and hope all is well with Nesba, if not paypal can figure it out for me.

michicago

scotman623;301764 wrote: I have registered for 4 track days total already, Paid with paypal. Just checked and I have 45 days from my purchase to file a complaint. I will just wait and hope all is well with Nesba, if not paypal can figure it out for me.
Have you ever tried to get your money out of bankruptcy proceedings? You'll be at the back of the line after creditors get their cut, and if you're lucky you'll get pennies on the dollar. More than likely you'll just get a kleenex to wipe the tears.

To be fair, I have no evidence NESBA is going to file bankruptcy but the point I'm trying to make is in financial matters, he who strikes first fairs best. It should be pretty obvious to anyone involved that money hasn't been spent where it was supposed to or we'd all be going to Barber in a few weeks.

Let's just take an honest look at the timeline:

Over the past few months, members have paid for Barber and other events
Over that same time, there must have been numerous high-tension discussions with Barber
On on before Friday 2/28 someone within NESBA had enough information to delete everybody's registration that signed up with Barber, yet no annoucement was made.
This thread had the attention of the whole organization on 2/28, still no announcement was made, and none of us have any money back in our pockets.
Finally on 3/1 an acknowledgemnt is made. The entire e-mail annoucing the cancellation was "Due to circumstances beyond our control, this Barber event has been canceled. We are sorry for any inconvenience." Not only is the first part debatable, but there no mention of how this was going to be settled financially. I can attest I have neither money refunded to my card nor "NESBA credits" which are of questionable value today.

How many times do you need to get slapped in the face before you strike back?

I think anybody not contacting their CC issuer today is taking a risk in the face of mounting evidence.

bidwell

If you paid with a CC getting your money back is typically not contingent upon the CC company getting it back from NESBA. Most CC's today guarantee you never have to pay fraudulent charges or for merchandise/services not received. This benefit is paid for by merchants who pay a 2-3% fee when you buy something and CC users that pay interest on outstanding balances.

When you dispute a charge you should receive immediate temporary credit for the amount in question while they investigate (usually around 30 days). If they determine that you did not receive what you paid for the credit becomes permanent, if not, the credit is rescinded. I'm not sure if PayPal operates the same way.

Pseudolus

bidwell;301801 wrote: If you paid with a CC getting your money back is typically not contingent upon the CC company getting it back from NESBA. Most CC's today guarantee you never have to pay fraudulent charges or for merchandise/services not received. This benefit is paid for by merchants who pay a 2-3% fee when you buy something and CC users that pay interest on outstanding balances.

When you dispute a charge you should receive immediate temporary credit for the amount in question while they investigate (usually around 30 days). If they determine that you did not receive what you paid for the credit becomes permanent, if not, the credit is rescinded. I'm not sure if PayPal operates the same way.
Mostly correct except you weren't absolutist enough. :D. It's never contingent upon the CC company getting it back. Also keep in mind that if you don't or have never carried a revolving balance or don't spend 20-30K a year with your CC, they may be a little more difficult to deal with because they haven't made enough to just write it off with little research. Point is, if you paid with CC, there's no need to "run on the bank."

I never knew how much I appreciated NESBA until seeing these gloomy threads. And to hear Bob started all of this for our safety. Wow.

MrK

Pseudolus;301803 wrote:
I never knew how much I appreciated NESBA until seeing these gloomy threads. And to hear Bob started all of this for our safety. Wow.

The hero in your story is the villain in many others , no? I dont think anyone is going to know what really has happened. But obviously something is wrong when the once premier mid Atlantic org is in this situation. Dont say economy, thats BS. Its not hard to find out how much it is to rent a track. I wont pretend to know all the ins and outs but my math has me scratching my head here. And I agree, pretty bummed about the whole thing.

roy 826

I'm pretty much gone with John (JRA). He was always a standup guy with me and I appreciate that. Good luck to you John and I hope to see you around.

I've gone back racing with Wera anyway this year so I was not doing many if any trackdays this year. Looks like if I do I will look elsewhere to participate.

This is just another economic breakdown of this sport. Writings on the wall folks, no telivised Daytona 200, only a five round series in AMA. Hell I saw more spectators at the recent Talladega Wera round than I've seen at a recent Barber AMA round.

MrStretch

I have only been riding with NESBA for about a year and a half. I have really enjoyed the atmosphere and the caliber of riders that I have been able to ride with. Correct me if I am wrong about this, but isn't NESBA a non-profit organization? The only reason I ask is the NPO's usually have either a board structure or member structure. Either way, the board or members usually can see the financials of the organization. If the structure of the organization is a "member NPO", then i think any member has a right to the financials. Has anyone ever asked to see the books? Not that it matters to much at this point but I was just curious.

noobinacan

hi Roy...which classes are you racing ?
you're not allowed in superbike A, B and Formula1 novice.

edit: nm, I just saw you're white plates..stay outta my way :D

Pseudolus

MrK;301809 wrote: The hero in your story is the villain in many others , no? I dont think anyone is going to know what really has happened. But obviously something is wrong when the once premier mid Atlantic org is in this situation. Dont say economy, thats BS. Its not hard to find out how much it is to rent a track. I wont pretend to know all the ins and outs but my math has me scratching my head here. And I agree, pretty bummed about the whole thing.
Yeah, I'm not ready to jump towards calling Bob the villain but I also can't put up a solid argument against those that have. At this time, I'm focusing on the positive he's done, while hoping there's still room to come out alright. I'm also trusting the numerous CR's who are not on here jumping ship......

gursesl

NESBA's IRS Files - Form 990

MrStretch;301813 wrote: If the structure of the organization is a "member NPO", then i think any member has a right to the financials. Has anyone ever asked to see the books? Not that it matters to much at this point but I was just curious.
NESBA files form 990, required by IRS from all tax-exempt 501(c), 527 and other tax-exempt organizations. The 990 forms are available to the public and you can obtain your free copy for the last three years, by signing up for a free account from guidestar.org. Search for "NORTHEAST SPORTBIKE ASSOCIATION"

If you look at NESBA's books, you may better grasp the situation. The organization has been losing money for at least the last 3-4 years. Their revenues have gone down steadily:
  • 2009: $1.9M
  • 2010: $1.7M2011: $1.2M2012: $1.1M
According to the IRS files, Bob Blandford is not making any real money ~ roughly $12K/yr, which is laughable, considering the shit he’s taking.

DJ was listed as an officer and board member, but I heard that he's gone. And so is Bob O. who is the only person with a somewhat real salary ~$35K/yr. He left too.

So the books aren’t looking good and from a business perspective, one can understand Bob if he's left with no viable options for the org. There are many factors that are in play, for sure - the economy, declining ridership, state regulations, tracks' fees, but one things is undeniable - NESBA has failed to change with the times. And we're all gonna pay the price, as a community. We have to be honest with ourselves.

I hope that my analysis, and the IRS files are wrong and NESBA, with its great community, can bounce back and we can enjoy many more seasons of fast and safe track time.

Bob, we love you for the things you've done. Thank you and let us know if we can help.

Cheers, L.

roy 826

noobinacan;301814 wrote: hi Roy...which classes are you racing ?
you're not allowed in superbike A, B and Formula1 novice.

edit: nm, I just saw you're white plates..stay outta my way :D
Haha I'll try. I'm concentrating on A superstock, A superbike and Senior superbike with a HWT solo thrown in from time to time. I had some decent runs at Talladega week before last. My biggest problem right now is rear tire wear, I can't get through two sprints without needing a new rear tire. :dunno: Mike has told me I have got to stop riding the liter bike like I rode my 600s. I'm on the edge of the tire to long on the liter bike.

Btw the novices do grid up in expert A classes but the experts are about 4-5 rows ahead on the start.:D I'm a mid central region mostly.

Tough to teach a old dog new tricks. Look forward to seeing you trackside. ;)

stkr

This story seems so familiar. Where have I read stuff like this before? :confused:

Oh yea, in the Mid Central and Midwest region forums, but they're all gone now. Why? Because the regions were not making enough money for NESBA. I wonder what happens to the profitability of the Southeast if Barber isn't on the schedule? Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe Bob Blandford will send out an e-mail explaining how the Southeast is being "suspended", and on the SAME day, he can send out an e-mail telling everyone how the Northeast region is being expanded.

That would be a true Deja Vu :popcorn:

MrK

gursesl;301820 wrote: NESBA files form 990, required by IRS from all tax-exempt 501(c), 527 and other tax-exempt organizations. The 990 forms are available to the public and you can obtain your free copy for the last three years, by signing up for a free account from guidestar.org. Search for "NORTHEAST SPORTBIKE ASSOCIATION"

If you look at NESBA's books, you may better grasp the situation. The organization has been losing money for at least the last 3-4 years. Their revenues have gone down steadily:
  • 2009: $1.9M
  • 2010: $1.7M2011: $1.2M2012: $1.1M
According to the IRS files, Bob Blandford is not making any real money ~ roughly $12K/yr, which is laughable, considering the shit he’s taking.

DJ was listed as an officer and board member, but I heard that he's gone. And so is Bob O. who is the only person with a somewhat real salary ~$35K/yr. He left too.

So the books aren’t looking good and from a business perspective, one can understand Bob if he's left with no viable options for the org. There are many factors that are in play, for sure - the economy, declining ridership, state regulations, tracks' fees, but one things is undeniable - NESBA has failed to change with the times. And we're all gonna pay the price, as a community. We have to be honest with ourselves.

I hope that my analysis, and the IRS files are wrong and NESBA, with its great community, can bounce back and we can enjoy many more seasons of fast and safe track time.

Bob, we love you for the things you've done. Thank you and let us know if we can help.

Cheers, L.
One problem here. 2009 was the height of the recession. So from that point forward the economy has slowly rebounded. Also a lot of people left racing during that time and did track days as a filler (less expense). So for them to have such a huge drop, once again leaves me scratching my head. I can't help but think its an internal issue here. Look at facebook and the discussions of people bashing NESBA. I want them to survive this, but there is some major issues that need to be corrected, that have been going on for years and there are dozens of Post on here to prove this.

Kruizen

Control Rider
I know a bunch of people at the guidestar office in wiliamsburg, think I might stop by there tomorrow.

MrStretch

Thanks for that info gursesl. Mr. Blandford should have a good idea how to manage the funds for the organization. I am going to assume that he is doing that. (i.e. no funny business) Apparently, a little fat had to be trimmed due to economic circumstances. That is fine too. As members of a "club", we all are going to feel the impact when the "club" is having hard times. The main complaint from everyone is the communication. A little PR and this fire could have been put out very quickly. Instead it is snowballing. I find it hard to understand why everyone is being left in the dark. It's not good business. I'm hoping that there is a great explanation to this and we feel like jack asses.

steve gould

stkr;301840 wrote: This story seems so familiar. Where have I read stuff like this before? :confused:

Oh yea, in the Mid Central and Midwest region forums, but they're all gone now. Why? Because the regions were not making enough money for NESBA. I wonder what happens to the profitability of the Southeast if Barber isn't on the schedule? Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe Bob Blandford will send out an e-mail explaining how the Southeast is being "suspended", and on the SAME day, he can send out an e-mail telling everyone how the Northeast region is being expanded.

That would be a true Deja Vu :popcorn:
Jeez, I don't think I got it yet. Can you guys tell us again what happened to the Midwest???

MrK

MrStretch;301859 wrote: Thanks for that info gursesl. Mr. Blandford should have a good idea how to manage the funds for the organization. I am going to assume that he is doing that. (i.e. no funny business) Apparently, a little fat had to be trimmed due to economic circumstances. That is fine too. As members of a "club", we all are going to feel the impact when the "club" is having hard times. The main complaint from everyone is the communication. A little PR and this fire could have been put out very quickly. Instead it is snowballing. I find it hard to understand why everyone is being left in the dark. It's not good business. I'm hoping that there is a great explanation to this and we feel like jack asses.
This is what I meant by an in house issue. I hope I didnt make it soundlike I meant something other than a costumer service issue. I think it is the customer service that has hurt the org so much over the past few years. Nothing less