Best bang for buck generator?

ama146

I just bought a set of Suzuka warmers and need a genny to run them. I will probably just run the warmers on them and nothing else, maybe a small fan but probably not. I am aware the Hondas and Yamahas are the best, but I simply don't have the money for those so they are out of the question. Does anyone have any experience with something other than a Honda or Yamaha genny that they have used and is decently quiet?

Motofun352

Control Rider
If you buy a Champion or other genny...do yourself and your pit partners a favor and get a 100 ft long ten gauge extension cord. You won't lose any significant voltage AND you won't lose any friends.;)

hank

Motofun352;232954 wrote: If you buy a Champion or other genny...do yourself and your pit partners a favor and get a 100 ft long ten gauge extension cord. You won't lose any significant voltage AND you won't lose any friends.;)
Unless they park it far away from themselves, yet right next to someone who DID spend the money and bought a quiet genny... the easy way to be 'that guy' in the pit area..

Seriously, the best value for money in the long run is the Honda or Yamaha genny - complete reliability, years of use and excellent resale. And friendly people nearby in the pit area who appreciate your choice in genny's.

ama146

I simply don't have the money for a Honda so it is impossible for me to get one. I shouldn't be shunned because I can't afford a $1k plus genny.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
ama146;232962 wrote: I simply don't have the money for a Honda so it is impossible for me to get one. I shouldn't be shunned because I can't afford a $1k plus genny.
...and you won't be so long as you're courteous with it's placement! ;)
Sometimes you can find a used Honda or Yami for a decent price. Wisesales had the Hondas for around $875 new, not sure if that's still the case. Yeah, still much more than the Champion. Do a search over on www.wera.com There was recently discussion about some of the less expensive gennys, and some of them seemed like they weren't overly loud. Not Honda quiet, but not wake the dead noisy. Supposedly. Worth a search over there (and here, it's been discussed previously).

Edit: here's the wera link: http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=294957&highlight=generator

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
You are looking for something that does not exist. If you cannot afford a generator consider buying power at the track. It is a lower initial cost.

Meat

ama146;232962 wrote: I simply don't have the money for a Honda so it is impossible for me to get one. I shouldn't be shunned because I can't afford a $1k plus genny.
It is all about courtesy. If you don't have the money for a quiet generator, be very mindful of the placement of your generator and those around you. One of the many advantages of a $875 generator is that you can pit just about anywhere.

And no matter what, you should always hear your generator better than your neighbor.

some guy #2

If you have a non-inverter type generator you just have to place it correctly or block it off.

I put the genny behind my truck so I'm at most 20 ft away from it and you cannot hear it at all until you walk right next to it. The Yamaha/Honda's are nice but are very $$$. There are other inverter options available that cost way less than that.

If a track offers power definately get it through them. Nothing like splitting power 4 ways :D

j_fuggin_t

I have a honda eu2000i, wisesales.com gets em to you under $900 ;) i tried the cheap route and ultimately i ended up buying two generators.

j_fuggin_t

Nah, you dont need an inverter.. more of the electronics like tv's etc.. either works but you'll gain quiet w/ a inverter

ama146

would you say the difference in noise level between a inverter and non-inverter is big enough to justify the extra money?

some guy #2

^Depends. The inverter is more than 2x the cost of a regular genny.

The only benefit of the inverter is you can run it closer or inside your pit area. Otherwise they both power stuff.