Best bang for buck generator?

some guy #2

ama146;233239 wrote: yeah but the question is, how loud is it?

It is loud. But like I said earlier if you block the noise with your car/trailer/long extension cord it's perfectly fine to the point that you cannot hear it.

I dunno what tracks you cannot put the genny out of the way but all the ones I've been to you can place a genny either in a ditch or far away from your pits and everyone elses that you can't hear it.

Description of 2011 Model Magna 3300 Watt Inverter Generator with Electric Start and :

Select Item 2011 Model Magna 3300 Watt Inverter Generator with Electric Start and You are looking at the new Remote Start and Electric Start Magna 3300 Watt 3000 Watt rated load digital inverter generator This new generator unit include an upgraded steel fuel tank and also better remote start system This is the same generator as Powerhouse PH3100RI but in different generator housing and not pull out handlebar You also save over 40 of fuel cost compare to use traditional generator of the same size due to its variable engine speed technology and lighter weight of the alternator It is brand new in box and in stock ready to ship This generator is safe for sensitive electronics like personal computer and communications devices Magna generators are state-of-the-art power generators They are efficient and quiet operation These generators will run longer and cost you less while providing the best power output in the industry It compare with Honda and Yamaha With the extra wattage to power the RV AC up to a 15 000 BTU unit it is the best portable generator on the market for 5th wheels and travel trailers Remote start and stop push the start button on the remote twice very quick to start Rated frequency Hz - 60Hz Rated voltage V - 120V Rated current A - 25A Rated speed - 900 RPM to 5000 RPM Rated output power - 3 000 Watts Max output power - 3 300 Watts DC output - 12V-8 3 A charging cable included Phase number - Single phase Fuel tank capacity - 3 5 gallons Continuous running time hr rated output - 8 0 hrs at full 12 hours at 50 load Noise level dB A 23 feet zero load full load - 54dB at idle 59dB at full load Overall dimension in - 23 Length 17 Width 19 5 Height Dry weight lbs - 126 lbs Engine type - Single cylinder 4-stroke OHV gasoline engine Displacement cc - 269 cc EPA and CARB certified for California Comes with lockable wheels on the bottom to let you roll around One year warranty we stock all the parts and help you in case you have any problem . Shop smart The Best, Few available in Stock Christmas 2011 Model Magna 3300 Watt Inverter Generator with Electric Start and Leading Brands Great Quality.

rk97

some guy #2;233320 wrote: [The harbor freight model] is loud. But like I said earlier if you block the noise with your car/trailer/long extension cord it's perfectly fine to the point that you cannot hear it.

I dunno what tracks you cannot put the genny out of the way but all the ones I've been to you can place a genny either in a ditch or far away from your pits and everyone elses that you can't hear it.
This is getting to be my thinking as well.

I would rather spend money on track time and tires than a fancy generator.

Plus I am starting to agree with the guy from the WERA thread: "it's a race track, not church!" How many of us exhaust systems that push 95 db or more? And we're insisting on generators that stay under 50 db?

long extension cord, and lean a sheet of plywood against the thing to send the sound away from everyone's pit area.

I can foresee rare situations where showing up to the track late might force you to pit in an area where there aren't many options for ideal generator placement, but I've yet to meet pit neighbors who wouldn't be receptive to sharing power if you throw them some gas money, and wouldn't be happy to let you walk through their setup if you had to run a cord through their pits to get the generator behind them, and out of everyone's earshot.

nodakgus

I recently went down this path trying to figure out if a cheaper generator could fit the bill. FWIW, after much research, forum searching and a little soul-searching, I decided to do it right and got the Honda EU2000i. Reliability, noise control, efficiency and resale value ruled my decision.

jcrich

bmart;236801 wrote: I know next to nothing about generators, beyond my wishes that people would not bring them to track days and plant them near others, :popcorn: but I love my Subaru, and noticed last year that Subaru makes some. Maybe they are quiet as well? http://robinamerica.com/generators.aspx
I bought the RG4300iS last year to run my trailer and it is as quiet as the Hondas and Yamahas

Kordyte

I have a factory refurbished Generac iX 2000, got it for $450 I think. Pretty darned quiet, if you ask me, and a good price. It's treated me well so far.

sheepofblue

rk97;236795 wrote: This is getting to be my thinking as well.

I would rather spend money on track time and tires than a fancy generator.

Plus I am starting to agree with the guy from the WERA thread: "it's a race track, not church!" How many of us exhaust systems that push 95 db or more? And we're insisting on generators that stay under 50 db?

long extension cord, and lean a sheet of plywood against the thing to send the sound away from everyone's pit area.

I can foresee rare situations where showing up to the track late might force you to pit in an area where there aren't many options for ideal generator placement, but I've yet to meet pit neighbors who wouldn't be receptive to sharing power if you throw them some gas money, and wouldn't be happy to let you walk through their setup if you had to run a cord through their pits to get the generator behind them, and out of everyone's earshot.
That might be fine but for people that camp out at night and want cool (Alabama in July) a slam and bang generator is WAY to much. Heck I don't like running the one in the motorhome at night for that reason.

some guy #2

sheepofblue;236841 wrote: That might be fine but for people that camp out at night and want cool (Alabama in July) a slam and bang generator is WAY to much. Heck I don't like running the one in the motorhome at night for that reason.
Running the genny at night I can see being an issue. I never run one at night (I put up with the heat/cold or get a hotel) so the HF/cheapo route would not be acceptable there.

j_fuggin_t

dbarufaldi

For those who buy loud gennies and think that putting them behind a vehicle or a little bit away from people makes them quiet enough, it does NOT. There is a huge difference between a loud bike going by on a track periodically, and the long, droning annoyance of a genny that is not quiet. It may make you feel better to say it, but yes, it IS that bad. Even a Honda or Yamaha running nearby all day is slightly annoying - notice the relief when it gets shut down at day's end.

So, if you can't lay out for the more expensive units (which are probably better values, but if you can't lay out the cash, you can't), why would you not go the extra step and build a quiet box for it? There are a ton of plans on the interweb, and they are made from cheap materials, and can even be broken down to store easily. Goes a long way to being a good neighbor.

I like this plan:

http://soundproofing.org/images/soundbox.jpg (my understanding is it's based on the principal that air goes around corners well, but sound doesn't)

I'm on the fence about which way to go. In the end, I typically prefer to buy a good quality, and just shop aggressively on price, if service is relatively equal, so I'll probably wind up with a YamaHonda. I might build the box anyway, so I can nap in the pits, right next to it :)

Dan B

danrivito2

j_fuggin_t;236950 wrote: 10hr run time on 6 gallons of gas @ 50%.. that sucks ass LOL.. i can get an entire day out of my honda eu2000 (pending i remember to turn it off at lunch LOL ) and thats on 1 gallon of gas
+1. You absolutely get what you pay for in generators.

Not only are the Yamaha/Honda's much better quality... they are much more fuel efficient and are bullet proof.

If you need a disposable generator to run a couple weekends a year, for a year or two... then maybe it's worth going the cheap route. Just make sure you have a back up plan.

ama146,

I know you feel your thread has been highjacked with all of the buy Honda/Yamaha talk. Many of us were where you are not so long ago. No generator, having to race to the outlets when the gate opens to get power. Wondering if my cord be long enough? Etc, etc.

I held out and didn't buy cheap. My Yamaha 2000 arrived today. This is my third year with NESBA.

If you must buy loud please don't be offended but you need to park well away from the crowd. I find track days to be not just be a learning experience but a social event as well. Wandering from pit to pit, getting to know the person next to you and so on.

Having to pit well away from the crowd sort of eliminates the ease of yucking it up with fellow riders, and running that loud generator next to others will definitely put a strain on your relationship with your neighbors. You'll piss them off.

Perhaps you can find a quieter generator. Do what's best for you however please test it at home first and plan your pit area accordingly.

As for the where to buy arguements. I went with Amazon.

1. Free two day shipping vice Wisesale's 7 - 10 days (maybe - read the reviews)

2. Better price for equivalent features Yamaha vs Honda,

3. Five star Amazon reputation - I've had them overnight a replacement grill. It arrived faster than I could repack the other. No hassle returns.

4. I didn't like the way Wisesales nickels and dimes you - they say free shipping but you have to pay for insurance and double boxing.

5. The reviews for Wisesales were spotty. Can't speak for the other company mentioned.

Good luck.

Reg

jcrich

afinepoint;237001 wrote: ama146,

As for the where to buy arguements. I went with Amazon.

1. Free two day shipping vice Wisesale's 7 - 10 days (maybe - read the reviews)

2. Better price for equivalent features Yamaha vs Honda,

3. Five star Amazon reputation - I've had them overnight a replacement grill. It arrived faster than I could repack the other. No hassle returns.

4. I didn't like the way Wisesales nickels and dimes you - they say free shipping but you have to pay for insurance and double boxing.

5. The reviews for Wisesales were spotty. Can't speak for the other company mentioned.

Good luck.

Reg
Interesting, I bought my Subaru-Robin inverter from them last year. I had no problems at all. Free truck shipping to my friend's business and no tax. Excellent transaction all around.

fitz

jcrich;237046 wrote: Interesting, I bought my Subaru-Robin inverter from them last year. I had no problems at all. Free truck shipping to my friend's business and no tax. Excellent transaction all around.
:agree:

If you are talking about Wisesales, plus my generator was $100 cheaper than Amazon, and it only took a couple of days to get to me. :dunno:

dbarufaldi

Just picked up one of these, for $385 shipped. Hopefully, it's a happy medium between YamaHonda's price, reliability and quiet, and El Cheapo brand loud and cheap. An experiment of sorts. Mixed reviews, but the vast majority of complaints are about hard starting. Since I used to be a small engine mechanic (back when spark plugs were just being invented...), I have some ideas about quick fixes for models that are, by their design, hard to start.

I'll report back once I receive it and give it a shakedown. If it isn't nearly as quiet as a YamaHonda, I'll plan to build a sound deadening enclosure.

Dan B

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-HW2000i-Inverter-Generator-125cc-NEW-FreeShip?item=160777976113&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7510036306809175326&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7510036306809175326