Best bang for buck generator?

ama146

I have suzuka dual temps. and all i want is to run warmers so if it can run those, i will be happy.

silvertop27

Check out Kipor generators very quite. Looks just like a Honda on the inside. I know a couple people that like them very much.

jcrich;237046 wrote: . . . Free truck shipping to my friend's business .
Most of us don't have loading docks readily available. Never have had to with Amazon. Other than that glad all went well for you.

fitz;237058 wrote: :agree:

If you are talking about Wisesales, plus my generator was $100 cheaper than Amazon, and it only took a couple of days to get to me. :dunno:
The reason yours is/was cheaper is proabably the CARB compliance of the Yamaha and that same +$80 option on the Honda. Making it a fair apple to apple comparison with the CARB certification plus the additional packing and insurance plus second day shipping charges placed the WiseSale Honda generator more than Amazon's Yamaha. $1069 vice $989.

I could have done without the CARB feature but didn't have a choice. At the time I ordered to get the Honda to me in time for April 7VIR would have cost $74 for second day. So the Wise cost was $914.90 + 74.76 = $989.66 For .66 less I got the Yamaha, without risk (read the Wise reviews), with Amazons outstanding reputation, and the CARB ($80) feature.

Who got the best deal??

I am glad for those that are happy with their generator and with WiseSales. I'm not trying to ignite any arguements. I just feel there was/is more risk with WiseSale regardless of individual's "happy endings". You have to look at the big picture and put things in perspective. The best deal sometimes comes down to more than just (initial) out of pocket expenses and being lucky. Intangibles matter.

Just a fine point.

Reg

fitz

afinepoint;237924 wrote: Who got the best deal??
I have no idea what you're rambling on about, are you sure you even bought a generator? Yamaha sells musical instruments too, you sure you didn't buy something that you have to blow into really hard? :)

fitz

fitz;237942 wrote: I have no idea what you're rambling on about, . . .fitz

Some of us have wondered the same after reading your signature.

Sorry ama, the children keep getting in.

Good luck with your generator purchase. Take what helps you here, pitch what doesn't and see you at the track. We're done. I'm unsuscribed from this thread. For those that can't move on or have difficulty with simple math rant away. Just kidding Fitz.

Reg

fitz

Reg you are one serious/intense dude!

Hope to ride with you down south soon, and I promise I won't talk about generators. :)

rk97

I believe the Hondas run around 52, maybe even 48.

Mine runs at 68, and is quite tolerable from 25 ft away. I just got it this afternoon. I'll probably still get a 50 foot cord.

ama146

what kind did you get? i got the harbor freight predator 4000watt and its about 70db and isnt bad at all if i get a long enough cord

Southerly

This weekend at Barber on Saturday, it was nice in my pit area. I don't run a generator and my neighbours all had Honda and Yamaha generators, so very little annoying noise.

Sunday morning somebody else set up nearby with a Champion generator. I ended up having to move my popup, and tried parking my car to block off some of the noise. The loud drone was grating on the nerves, and I looked forward to the I sessions when he shut it down to go out on the track.

I am starting to think that even though I don't use a generator at the track I should bring my Honda 2000i with me so that in a case like that I can ask them to use my generator instead.

Think of other people before buying one of those noisy things.

Saltman

... Or they can do like a Buddy of mine with a loud El cheapo. He built a box for it and put it behind his truck. Worked so well we sometimes almost forgot it was still running.

some guy #2

^Exactly.

And why would you bring a genny to Barber? They have power that you can share and it's cheaper than running a genny (no gas).

fitz

Southerly;238726 wrote:

somebody else set up nearby with a Champion generator.
Yeah, at Summit someone had a Champion boom box, loud! They really grate on nerves! :argh:

Twiztedjester55

I bought a used "camping mate 2000" inverter generator(it's a kipor relabeled for I think pepboys) for $350 4 years ago. It looks identical to the Eu2000i and I ran it next to my buddies Honda and could barely tell the difference in sound. Still works great.

rk97

all these people complaining about loud generators had better have stock pipes on their bike :rolleyes:

I've yet to hear a generator that's louder or more obnoxious than a moriwaki 250, or some of those 'shorty' pipes on the GSX-R's.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
rk97;238743 wrote: all these people complaining about loud generators had better have stock pipes on their bike :rolleyes:

I've yet to hear a generator that's louder or more obnoxious than a moriwaki 250, or some of those 'shorty' pipes on the GSX-R's.
I know, it's a race track, yadda, yadda. But, there is still, to me anyway, a big difference between a loud sound that lasts a short amount of time (a bike going by, and you can choose a pit area away from the front straight), vs the constant drone of a loud genny that never goes silent. It drains a person. At least it does me. Short bursts that interrupt a conversation momentarily is different than a constant noise that prevents conversation in your pit area the entire day. It's hard to concentrate and remain focused, and think about your riding if you can't even hear yourself think all day long.

Defend your cheap genny all you want. Maybe yours isn't that bad, haven't heard one like you have. But I've heard some that are just...draining. Hey, as long as it's kept far enough away, or a box is built around it to dampen the sound, it should be ok.

So far, I've mananged to be far enough away from them. Once at Summit, probably 10 or so years ago, I and the 2 guys I was pitting with offered to pay for electric for some guy who had a loud-assed genny about 10 feet from our pit. It was unbearable, we couldn't talk in a normal voice to each other, it was so loud we couldn't even shout to each other; that's the kind I object to. Fortunately, another guy next to him offered to share the electric box he was using, he couldn't stand it either.

The debates will never end....if everyone tries to be considerate with placement, it will go a long way. I know everyone can't afford a Honda or Yamaha.