Best bang for buck generator?

rk97

the hot track isn't (nearly) constant noise?

I agree that there's no reason to run a loud generator at tracks that have electrical hookups available, and no reason to run them after the track is cold, but during the day, it's plenty loud without any generators running.

a 50' cord should be more than enough to dull the noise on virtually any generator.

j_fuggin_t

rk97;238747 wrote: the hot track isn't (nearly) constant noise?

I agree that there's no reason to run a loud generator at tracks that have electrical hookups available, and no reason to run them after the track is cold, but during the day, it's plenty loud without any generators running.

a 50' cord should be more than enough to dull the noise on virtually any generator.
trust me generator noise is pretty damn annoying, its the constant blaring of it & as many have said it can be pretty fatiguing, the 50' cord is a good idea but make sure you buy a heavy gauge so that your not getting a loss from the distance,

hank

j_fuggin_t;238752 wrote: the 50' cord is a good idea but make sure you don't move it far away from yourself and end up putting right next to somebody else... especially someone who DID spend the cash on a quiet genny....

Fixerated it for ya!
:D

fitz

I have pitted next to the track a few times (never again) and yes it was loud but it's amazing a difference what a few yards or even feet make. BUT if you're not pitted right next to the track and depending on the day (wind, crowd etc..) sometimes you have to listen carefully to hear if anyone is on the track at all.

Maybe we need a "smoking" section, a place where we put all inconsiderate people with the loud ass generators. :D

fitz

Southerly

rk97;238743 wrote: all these people complaining about loud generators had better have stock pipes on their bike :rolleyes:
Of course I run a stock pipe, and I barely let the engine get above idle in the pit area, so I get to complain:). The second item isn't due to noise, but just not seeing any need to rev it up until I am on the track. A few people watching me on the track may be wondering if I ever rev it up there either.

As some others have said, it is the constant sound that is so wearing. Some tracks like Barber are almost impossible to position the generator away from other people due to the layout.

some guy #2

^Why are people bringing generators to Barber? That's being stupid IMO.

Honest to goodness I cannot think of a track where I cannot put my generator as far away as my cord will let me and have it near someone else's pit. At least in the Midwest or Beaverun. If you bring your generator to Barber and it's not attached to your RV you are not thinking right.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider

No, not in the least in the same way a loud genny is. I take it you've never had anyone pit on top of you with a loud genny? I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but to me there is a significant difference between a hot track and the loud, constant drone of a loud genny nearby. Better make that a 100 foot cord, depending on the loudness. Seriously.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
People dont realize how loud some of these gennys are until one of them is turned off and everyone around is like, why do I just feel better all of a sudden? :)

JBowen33

^Why are people bringing generators to Barber? That's being stupid IMO.

Honest to goodness I cannot think of a track where I cannot put my generator as far away as my cord will let me and have it near someone else's pit. At least in the Midwest or Beaverun. If you bring your generator to Barber and it's not attached to your RV you are not thinking right.

Because most tracks do not put out consistent shore power to properly utilize/ power your tire warmers. I know for a fact my generator does and there’s a digital gauge on said generator to tell me that as I consistently check it through out the day.

Ron R

Because most tracks do not put out consistent shore power to properly utilize/ power your tire warmers. I know for a fact my generator does and there’s a digital gauge on said generator to tell me that as I consistently check it through out the day.
I’m not sure I’m understanding you. Are you saying that the voltage fluctuates or goes completely off. Off is a problem but some amount of voltage drift is really no big deal on resistance heating. I certainly wouldn’t want my A/C subjected to that.

JBowen33

I’m not sure I’m understanding you. Are you saying that the voltage fluctuates or goes completely off. Off is a problem but some amount of voltage drift is really no big deal on resistance heating. I certainly wouldn’t want my A/C subjected to that.

No think of it this way.

Tire warmers are simple it’s a heating element like a space heater. They can operate even tho they aren’t getting the required wattage, voltage etc... A lot of tracks shore power can’t handle 100 plus sets of tire warmers on their power grids. There for the tire warmers do not operate at optimal temperature which in turns leads to the obvious issues.

By running a generator your getting a consistent power source that can be monitored and it takes a lot of variables out of the big equation that equals tire performance on a race track.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I think the problem with reduced voltage would only be it might take a little longer to reach full temperature.

Myers

Control Rider
I wanna go to the RACE TRACK... but the bike pipes are too loud :(

Wait.. hold on... Lemme start my HELICOPTER and let it run all day long... cause thats not annoying..

WAIT... hold on.. Ill add a 50ft cable... cause the DB loss at 50 feet drops maybe 3db ... on my 130db genset...

common people.. this is an expensive hobby ... you trust the person on the track next to you at 5ft...90mph..leaning at 30 degrees in a corner... ... but we are confused on gensets?

I get the money, i get the cost... I tell ya, I run a honda 3000.. all night/day long.. i had the privileged of checking out someones HF predator and also pitted next to him at PIRC and was VERY impressed at the DB/low sound and the cost is down.

Go ahead, keep the person you are riding next to on the track awake all night... or irritated ... then go out on the track with them and ..well, trust what you will.

my 3 cents.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
The last time I had to use my generator at the track I pitted away from the group and made a makeshift enclosure with OSB pointing away to shield everyone. Unfortunately my gennies were purchased with work in mind, not track days.

damiankelly

If you are on a tight budget don’t buy a generator- focus on buying Track time- just plug in somewhere it’s cheaper and easier at first. Most tracks have power for you.
As someone else said buy a good one when you can...and it will last forever.