Bike suggestion for next WERA season

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
Folks,
For those veterans out there I am open to suggestions on which road to go for next season with bike selection. FYI last season was my first season with WERA where I ran mid pack in the three race weekends I did.

I am currently on a Superstock 2003 ZX6R with a fresh Ohlins 20mm front end and Ohlins triple adj shock. Bike has all the legal bolt ons, upgraded rotors, 09 zx6r brakes, ect. Last season I ran a stock suspension with a simple Race Tech kit in the front forks.

A few guys said to use the ZX6R since it is paid for I am still fresh to racing and get more seat time. The bike does well, but I know with the bike being 10yrs old it is behind the curve as far as chassis and tech goes.
dsc02856pae.jpg

I have a 2007 CBR 600RR that I have not ridden in a few yrs since I laid it down on the street. It is paid for and is parked in the back of the garage with no fairings. It was my commuter with almost 26k miles and a few folks said I should sell the ZX6R, put a suspension on the CBR and race it since it has a better chassis.
img0285nh.jpg

A few other folks said to sell both and get on a GSXR or R6 which is more competitive out of the box. There is a nice R6 being sold locally in NoVa from this site that I was looking at, but not 100% yet.

For those who have been down this road, any advice would be appreciated and taken into consideration.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
You have a couple of options:
Setup the CBR to race this season and if you’re not satisfied, sell both for a more current bike.
OR
Keep the Kawi, get more experience this season sell both bikes next season for a more current bike.
OR
Sell both get a more current bike, you can spend the season getting used to it.
Decisions, decisions not always easy but I know you'll work it out...:cool:

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
Thanks guys...talked to a fellow racer and he convinced me to race the Kawi another season spending $$ on track time racing and tires. With any extra cash I will build the Honda on the cheap and use it as a backup bike if something happens to the Kawi. I knew it was the right answer, just needed to hear it from other folks.

Hope to get a chance to ride with you this season Vinny

some guy #2

Always good to have a back up bike :)

I'd ride both at a TD and see if one is "better" than the other one and go from there. I'd also scour ebay/forums/CL for any good deals on CBR parts.