Bump requirements

breezie

just curious what are requirements for said bump? Are bumps based off what the instructor thinks of the rider or is it based of if the said rider making his apex’s carrying
Good corner speed entry and exits. Basically the fundamentals. It just seems that the fundamentals get thrown out the window and it boils down to the instructors attitude that day?

Kruizen

Control Rider
I’d say it comes down to a multitude of factors:

Following rules of the group
Working thru traffic
Apexes
Predictability
Race line
Judgement
Attitude
Trust
Consistency
Mistakes made(why/what)
And finally
pace

When I’m doing an eval, one of my first thoughts is would I want to be leaned over side by side with this person going thru a turn, and my answers to the criteria above typically answer that question for me.

others may have more to add.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Agree with Eric, to expand on a few things, we want you to be safe and comfortable in the next group as well as the group to not be impacted by your riding. So, seeing good lines and body position without excessive lean angle is important. We don’t want you at the limit and then you get bumped and chase someone over your limit and crash. I think the last thing Eric said is the most important for me especially for the A bump, would I be comfortable coming up on you at 98% and trusting you’ll do what Is expected.

A couple things to add to the list, do you only ride that track? There’s a lot of people that are fast on one track and lost on every other track, it’s not good if you can’t translate your pace from one track to another. Experience, if you’re the next Rossi running A pace your first day I will have other CRs working with you to put you into situations that make you uncomfortable to see how you react and test your judgement. Because of all this, N2 has the fastest, most predictable safe groups. We regularly get questioned about, “I am an Intermediate rider with xxx, do I have to start in novice?” With the exception of an expert race license, we all started in Novice and if you truly are running at the next level we will see you and bump you. The best advice I received early in the nesba days was “ride your ride and don’t chase the bump,” every bump I received was a surprise and also bitter sweat, I went from slaying my group to being a guppy and having to work my way up again. Last thing and I’ll get off my soap box, during tech last track day I had 7 people ask me for bumps (we hadn’t even been on track yet) I think 3 of them earned them and we bumped 8 others that were just riding. We are out there always evaluating so just ride your ride. The excuse this group is slowing me down makes me question if you’re ready because I was able to ride 3 seconds off my A pace in Intermediate and 7 seconds off in novice following the passing rules of each group respectively so if your group is really impacting your ride you need to work on getting through traffic or finding open track.

Backmarker

Control Rider
just curious what are requirements for said bump? Are bumps based off what the instructor thinks of the rider or is it based of if the said rider making his apex’s carrying
Good corner speed entry and exits. Basically the fundamentals. It just seems that the fundamentals get thrown out the window and it boils down to the instructors attitude that day?

I can tell you that every N2 CR takes their positions seriously.

We are here to help you learn to ride safe and then fast.

It’s not a matter of what I think of you personally, it’s a matter of how you perform on the track.

I have bumped riders without ever seeing them with their helmet off.
I didn’t know anything about them other than they rode really good, and I could trust that if I bumped them they were not going to go and crash out next session.

Bumps from Novice to Intermediate can come quite easily. Following the group rules, be smooth, consistent, and predictable. Don’t ride over your head and be patient/courteous with the others in the group.

A bump from Intermediate to Advance requires you to be very smooth, very consistent and absolutely predictable.
It will also take two coaches to agree that you are ready for the big step.

Good luck to you and come find me if you see I’m at the track same day as you. I’ll give you a tow.

breezie

Thanks for the input. I’ve been a member of n2 since 2013 and even back then I showed up
With an expert license and was told they would bump me from novice to intermediate. Yes I’m chasing a bump. Even had a buddy get denied a bump because in a group of 40 he missed two apex’s. Now not saying that the cr didn’t have other valid reasons. Just trying To figure it all out.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Biggest thing I can say is

QUIT CHASING THE BUMP

enjoy the passing opportunities, continue to use those opportunities to make yourself a better rider, by really setting up the passes within the rules of the group. If you demonstrate that you can pass at will,-without forcing it! The bump will come on its own.

go out and have fun Riding!!!!

Motofun352

Control Rider
As one of the older riders here (shud-up Lenny! :D)....all I can say is chasing the bump is counter productive. Be safe, have fun and work on your skills. I had to learn this the hard way. When I resigned myself to being in I group forever and focused on safe/fun/skills, etc I was surprised by the bump to A. I didn't ask for it, didn't even know I was being evaluated......Perhaps the CRs at the time just wanted fresh meat in A? :eek:. In any case, chasing the bump turned out to be frustrating, at least for me. Ask a CR for a lead/follow and critique rather than a bump...that way you'll know you have eyes on you.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
As one of the older riders here (shud-up Lenny! :D)....all I can say is chasing the bump is counter productive. Be safe, have fun and work on your skills. I had to learn this the hard way. When I resigned myself to being in I group forever and focused on safe/fun/skills, etc I was surprised by the bump to A. I didn't ask for it, didn't even know I was being evaluated......Perhaps the CRs at the time just wanted fresh meat in A? :eek:. In any case, chasing the bump turned out to be frustrating, at least for me. Ask a CR for a lead/follow and critique rather than a bump...that way you'll know you have eyes on you.

LOL! Hey Jack!:sneaky:;)! I have to agree with this statement the most! Chasing the bump is counterproductive. It makes the rider looking for the bump want to ride just a little bit better and thats where we will see missed apexes, running wide exiting turns etc,etc,etc.
I think its always a great idea to ask a CR for a lead/follow! This gives us a chance to evaluate a rider and WORK with them on a few thing if we see them.
Please remember that ALL of the CR's started out in "Novice" and we have worked our way through the ranks so we know how you feel :) We ALL want to see everyone who is riding well to go to the next group! Like I always say"ride your ride and if your riding really good the Bump will come find you"!:like:

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
I agree with everything above (with the exception of the $20.......those were 2008 prices). A fellow coach that I respect has 2 sayings I repeat whenever possible. "One of the best passes you will make today is the one you don't make" and when evaluating someone "Ride your ride. Don't go out and show me how fast you can crash". I worked with 2 riders at our last NJMP weekend and one rider was riding quick for his group. However, every time I looked back he was almost running off track or a few feet from the race line. He eventually ran off on a high speed section of the track. It could have been very bad. Speed is a product of good lines, good body position, and good decision making. If you add speed before you have all three, it typically ends badly. A bump from Novice to Intermediate comes to those who have good lines, good body position, and can make good decisions. The bump to Advanced comes from great lines, great body position, and great decisions.

mpusch

Micah
Thanks for the input. I’ve been a member of n2 since 2013 and even back then I showed up
With an expert license and was told they would bump me from novice to intermediate. Yes I’m chasing a bump. Even had a buddy get denied a bump because in a group of 40 he missed two apex’s. Now not saying that the cr didn’t have other valid reasons. Just trying To figure it all out.

Expert race license? That's unusual. Usually that gets you into A directly.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Expert race license? That's unusual. Usually that gets you into A directly.

2013 would have still been NESBA. I don't know if there was an automatic bump to A with any license back then. I think that was something we started doing as N2. Don't quote me on that......