CMP 9/1

bmart

Control Rider
Um...there's more than one? Been going there for years and haven't seen any variation. Full course w/ sweeping 12 & 13.

bmart

Control Rider
Right. I know that they exist, I've just never seen anyone run anything other than the full course. Note that they do run the "new" turns 12 and 13, which is the more flowing version. Come and say hi this weekend. I have a lot of miles around that place and give you some insight.

djhurayt

OK got it. I have never been there for an actual event, so I didn't know. Thanks, and I will probably do just that (look you up) when I get there, coming over from G'ville. This is my first real track day. And old guy here, trying to get myself to slow down on the streets and start acting a little more grown up via go fast (as fast as I can (within still riding my own ride)) with out the worries of oncoming, LEOs, ditches/mailboxes/telephone poles (blown turn potential), etc.

I may try to bend your ear a little bit prior also. I have marked up the track map with notes regarding what turns look like slow in to increase exit speed, verses stuff it deep because the next straight/section is short/slow anyways.

MrFrzz

slow and wide
I'm heading over from that area as well. Live in greer. We've got a decent group that should be meeting there if not traveling together. Shoot me a PM if you wanna connect and put with us, or even travel with us. WellWbe leaving from the Duncan area around 2:30 or 3:00 ish

djhurayt

We will be going down Friday night, but will look for ya at the track. I will be in a white F150. Not sure what I am bringing as far as bikes but it will either be a 2008 Husky SMR450 or a 2011 HD XR1200X (former V&H series race bike). Some of the straights may be a little long for the Husky, don't know if I can peddle it fast enough. The HD is new to me and just don't have the feel for it yet, so different than the Husky, about 300 pounds different. Actually I will likely through both in the truck and decide once I get there.

MrFrzz

slow and wide
Sounds like a plan.
I run in novice and I'm a slow guy. ItllIbe my first trip there as well (3rd track day) I'm not gonna be setting the world on fire any time soon. I'm currently writing up some notes with visual cues and target markers so hopefully itlli help. Let me know and I can share those with you.

CK_Est_87

Control Rider at N2 Track Days
Control Rider
It’ll be a great weekend. Hook up with one of us and we will get you rolling!

bmart

Control Rider
CMP on paper isn't going to do you a lot of good. There are a lot of track specific notes you'll want to get from a track walk or walk through on the big map at the track.

Two obvious ones are:
1- that turns 5, 6, and 7 are really turns 5 and 7. Six is in there, but you never get even remotely close to that apex.

2- turn 10, which you don't apex at the apex due to a high spot on the pavement, and you don't exit where you think you should.

All tracks have a lot to teach. To go fast at CMP you'll need a light touch on the controls and good body position combined with looking WAY through the turns. Let's talk this weekend.

MrFrzz

slow and wide
You bet man. I'll definitely look for ya. It's funny you mention the loose touch on the controls. I've noted that iny pre-ride notes lol also noted that a big head turn is gonna be important.

That's one reason I was trying to find visual markers to keep looking for while watching vids. Had to get creative for a few. Lol

I normally wait to be last out in case I'm super slow and domt wanna hold anyone up, but I think this time I'm gonna try to get out first behind a CR so I can see the lines a bit.

djhurayt

If bike track days are anything like car track day, you quickly realize how un-fast your really are.

One of my bike has a sticker on it that says:
I'm so far behind, I think I'm in the lead

See ya'll Saturday

MrFrzz

slow and wide
Trust me, I'm well aware of how not fast I am. Lol as long g as I'm smooth and preducprediand I'm making progress then I'm happy with my performance. Lol

Always something to work on.

I made my tagline "slow and wide" for a very good reason :p

See ya there!!!

bmart

Control Rider
Folks who get to the track seem to have similar first track day stories.

I was the fastest guy on our street rides. My first track day I got passed by a guy who looked like Santa, on a metal flake BMW, with the side bags attached, like I was stopped. In one move I became the big fish in the little pond to the little fish in the big pond. It has been steady learning since.

D52

Slight change in subject, anyone know if there's going to be a bbq on Saturday like last year?

bmart

Control Rider
Bantam Chef downtown usually has a buffet on Sunday. You could get some yummy food there to slow you down for the afternoon.

D52

Doubtful... The awesome guy that did that for us last year is not attending...

That's unfortunate. That was some good food. I made a last-minute decision to attend CMP last year, so I figured I'd throw something together before I drove down if it was happening again this year.

Bantam Chef downtown usually has a buffet on Sunday. You could get some yummy food there to slow you down for the afternoon.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

bmart

Control Rider
Generally they're open 24 hours, but you'll want to call them direct to find out for sure.