Code, School v Camp

Folly1

I have done 2 CCSB camps and want to go back for more L3-4. I am tempted to do just the school and ride my own bike to save the $.

If you have done both school and camp I would appreciate your opinion on the relative merits of each.

If you have done L4 in the school, I would be grateful for you input.

Thanks,

Ben.

betarace

I just did level 3 at Laguna, very well worth it, learned a lot more than L2 (it's mostly bike/rider interface). That being said L4 is nothing new. With the CSS folks you assemble a "greatest hits" of lessions from Levels 1..3 for a custom day. You get 2 more sessions than the usual Level 1..3 folks.

enjoy

RyanITV

Admin
I've done something stupid like 11 days with them in less than 18 months; great way to go ride foreign tracks without dragging a bike across the country. I also did the whole gamut (Lvls 1-4) before my first track day, to at least get a solid grasp on theory...

The camp (IMHO) isn't worth the extra $$$ if you can get your own bike there. That's speaking from experience - I've done 3 camps. An extra session or two isn't worth the extra $550/day, and at this point, I prefer seat time on my own bikes.

The Level 4 stuff is also subject to the laws of diminishing returns - you hit a point where you'd rather just ride and get a few tips than be subject to a rigid, dogmatic "drill" approach. If my entry speed into T1 is too slow, the hip-flick or quick turn isn't going to do anything to help that - I just need to scrub off less speed by braking less.

Hope this helps - I'd be glad to answer any other questions you might have.

Ryan

Folly1

Thanks guys.

I am going with the school.

As an aside, I noted that both of you have ducaties. I am riding a 179s on the track. Love it.

Ben.

betarace

I think there is merit taking your own bike to L3 and L4, L3 is all about body/machine interface and if you are on your own bike you can really learn a lot. The wide tank on the ZX6R is totally different than my 999 and I will do L4 on the 999.

Just make sure your tires are fresh and you have plenty of gas, would prep as per a NESBA day and you will be fine.

Enjoy it!

fossilfuel

I have done 4 level IV Keith Code schools and find them very worth while...As a matter of fact I did a two day level IV then three weeks later got bumped to "A" and brought my lap times down to 1:42's....
The trick to getting optimum results from Keith Code Level IV is having your Sh..t together before you get there. Know what you are going to work on and be able to communicate to the instructor so he or she (Christi) can help...I have seen numerous students that get in level IV and cannot communicate and you can see the frustration on the instructors face.
Bone up on Keith's books because that is the terminology the instuctors are taught and that is how they talk to you. Good luck.
D