Coolant and other related stuff that I come up with.

Racerboy

Know the Toe
Of course normal type coolant is slippery, hence as to the change I did to my race bikes 16 yrs ago. This is a 1st for me, the coolant I use is approved by CCS and other club orgs, Cornerspeed, STT, TPM etc. I wonder why N2 elects to say no to a non slippery coolant based chemicals period for the race group. My race bikes are spec, wired and race panned compliant , the other groups ought to be running straight water or wetter, the assumption being, more prone to crashes than veteran racers one would think. If this is the policy of N2 to require racers to dump their race approved coolant, not a case by case basis, and the time consuming pain in the ass of pumping and dumping compliant coolant, I guess I'll not be riding with you all.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'm not sure of the reasoning, just stating what's in the riders manual and what has been recently discussed on the forum. Propylene glycol, while not as slippery as ethylene glycol, is still more slippery than water + water wetter. FWIW, I don't think WERA allows pg either. Sorry I don't know more behind the reasoning, and sorry you won't ride with us as a result.

Last edited:

Racerboy

Know the Toe
Just wondering. It not a big deal, just another pain in prep. but your manual does not say for the other groups to change out why is that? As I said earlier, if there is any riding group other than the racers who should change out their coolant ought to be the other riding groups: beginners and street enthusiast who are riding bikes that are not even fully race prepped! Its all backwards.

Last edited:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I agree with that, I'd like to see other groups swap coolant and wire the oil plug. Can't tell you how many times over the years we've had the track oiled due to a lose oil plug. It's a balance. We want to get riders off the street and onto the track. If we make the prep too vigorous in the Novice group, it'll discourage folks. However, we do encourage it in all groups and some of the guys have held safety wire how-tos and have offered to drill for folks.
When I was in intermediate, I'd already done the oil plug. After an event, Lenny came over with a drill and did my calipers, much appreciated. I suck at drilling!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Just wondering. It not a big deal, just another pain in prep. but your manual does not say for the other groups to change out why is that? As I said earlier, if there is any riding group other than the racers who should change out their coolant ought to be the other riding groups: beginners and street enthusiast who are riding bikes that are not even fully race prepped! Its all backwards.

As far as being backwards, yes and no. As a track day org, you cannot expect your Novice and Intermediate riders to have motorcycles legal for club level/AMA racing. Simple math says you'd be eliminating 66.6% of your customers. From the past several years of riding, in my experience, I'd say that overall, racers (Actual club racers, not long time advanced group track day junkies) make up the minority of the people at a track day. Novice/Intermediate almost always sell out before Advanced group does. Of course there are always exceptions to this, but generally speaking it's true.

I won't pretend to know how, or why the rules got to their current state. At least with WERA or CCS, everyone plays by the same rules. They don't segregate novices/experts, everyone 'enjoys' the same safety wiring/bike tech requirements. The only thing I can come up with as to why the rules are the way they are, is generally speaking, most Novice and Intermediate crashes aren't all that bad. How many crashes have you seen from Novice and Intermediate that are just low sides? They either tuck the front, or spin up the rear. You'll have the occasional high side, and every once in a while, bike collisions. But the majority are "easy" crashes that rarely result in any fluid spills on track.

As you well know, the faster you get, the less room for error you get. Yes, advanced group guys generally don't crash as much as the novice and intermediate folk. But when they do, it tends to be a bit more brutal.

I'd say that N2 (and any track day org for that matter) wants to ensure the day has as little down time as possible. If you can eliminate the possibility of reducing down time at the track without hindering track attendance, wouldn't you do so?

To spin the question around, why does CCS/WERA even bother with coolant regulations? What about safety wiring? Why safety wire anything in the first place? A mechanically sound, properly torqued oil drain plug will never come out on its own. Same goes for any fastener that's torqued to spec per the service manual. A bolt doesn't care if you can run 13's at Summit or 55's. They enforce those rules because generally, the more involved you get with the sport, the more you begin to work on your own bike. And by creating the tech rules of safety wiring plugs/bolts and running non-slippery coolant, you reduce the risk of not only rider's forgetting to properly torque bolts on their bike, but also rider injuries, crashes, and down time on the track.

Novel reply aside, your question is extremely fair, and I don't have an answer for that. I think you raise a good point and it should be looked at. On the other hand, it's not that big of a deal to just run water wetter to ensure you're not "that guy" that shuts down the track for 2 hours while the crew cleans it up.

Racerboy

Know the Toe
John,
Well said, your right about all your points, your last statement though, begs to mind, "that guy" is more likely the beginner group, you never know! I will comply and dump my stuff unless you all rule in my favor!! Scott

Racerboy

Know the Toe
Yes I will, besides, I need to change out the coolant anyway, it was last yrs coolant, it served me well. I plan on coming out in July. Im gonna run NC bike too. But!! my dirt bikes will keep their respective race coolant!!! I'll be on the dirt anyway!!

HavocCat

Chris
0pTsJwb.jpg

C8H1Ef6.jpg

M1S0BXC.jpg

It's done!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Fairly certain that bike wouldn't come off that trailer in a hurricane....

(You know you don't need anything but the Pitbull TRS, right? ;) )

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
That's funny, I didn't notice the trs the first time I looked. Are you planning to do some hot laps with the bike on the trailer? :p or are you planning to break land speed record on the way to the track?

HavocCat

Chris
If you guys were to see the roads where I'm from, you would understand. :D

The first hour of my drive was Baja on asphalt.

HavocCat

Chris
qsUBi8c.jpg

Been doing some painting and wrenching and what have you. Went ahead and skipped the HVLP gun this time and went for the spray bomb can special.
Also thought you may all want to know I hauled the bike home with just the pitbull trs and no straps without incident. :p So there.