Crashed Helmet @ Tech Inspection

shad0ws

If I have a helmet with visible scuffs and paint chips from a wreck but Shoei test it and says the helmet is still good will it still pass tech? Or should I not even bother sending it off and just get a new one?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

z064life

If it is chipped get a new one. Scuff you can get by with anything more not so much.

They are made to take 1 impact only :fact

Blueberry

I have a Shoei helmet with a few scrapes on the top from an incident that passed several different track day and race orgs inspection. I also had Shoei inspect/X-ray it before I used it and kept the letter for proof if needed. Never needed.

As was stated, they are designed for one impact only so it's critical to get Shoei to confirm it hasn't been through that one impact yet. Once it has it won't do its job right the next time. If you don't 100% trust Shoei's testing, get a new one.

shad0ws

I trust shoei, just don't want to waste my time and money sending it off if they are just going to fail me at tech. Thanks for the info.

Blueberry

It may be worth posting a pic and getting the CR/staff eyes on the helmet as my opinion/experience won't get ya very far when it counts! Lol

shad0ws

daddyfriedrich;292307 wrote: How much does testing cost, where can I get one tested, and can they test any brand?
Shoei does it for free for any of their helmets. They have info on their website about it.

Ruhe52

From the riders manual

Helmet, undamaged, full-face DOT, SNELL, or European standard approved, with eye protection. No flip-up helmets allowed.

If scuff is into paint or beyond I would not expect it to pass tech.

Ruhe52

o Helmet, undamaged, full-face DOT, SNELL, or European standard approved, with eye protection. No flip-up helmets allowed.
Above is from Riders Manual

If scuff is into the paint or beyond I would not expect it to pass tach.

TLRSKUNK

Problem I see with that statement a re-paint could fill in a lot of damage.

send it in and if it passes keep the paper to show the staff. but I'd bring a spare in case one is on a power trip about it.

TLRSKUNK;292455 wrote: Problem I see with that statement a re-paint could fill in a lot of damage.

send it in and if it passes keep the paper to show the staff. but I'd bring a spare in case one is on a power trip about it.
A power trip about rider safety???? Really?

TLRSKUNK

griffonrider;292470 wrote: A power trip about rider safety???? Really?
If he has a letter from the manufacture stating it's safe and an inspector still tells him he can't use it what would you call it? :rolleyes:

personally if I crash in a helmet it gets replaced. even if the manufacture cleared it i would still replace it. not worth the risk.

Dunham

TLRSKUNK;292471 wrote: If he has a letter from the manufacture stating it's safe and an inspector still tells him he can't use it what would you call it? :rolleyes:

personally if I crash in a helmet it gets replaced. even if the manufacture cleared it i would still replace it. not worth the risk.
How does tech know when the helmet was crashed compared to when Shoei inspected it? It could have been crashed again since the letter was issued.

Send it for inspection and if it passes use it for the street.

TLRSKUNK

Dunham;292476 wrote: How does tech know when the helmet was crashed compared to when Shoei inspected it? It could have been crashed again since the letter was issued.

Send it for inspection and if it passes use it for the street.
If the rider shows proof that the helmet was tested safe after the crash why is it the inspectors job to make sure he isn't lying?
If the rider says it crashed and received this damage so I sent it in to have it test and Shoei says it is still good. and has the paper to back it up. why is it on the tech inspector to be a dick.
If the rider trusts his helmet after Shoei ok'ed it after a crash he isn't going to hurt any one else if it fails in another crash. (spare me the well he will cause emotional pain and suffering if someone watches him crash. we are all adults and need to take responsibility for our own actions.)

(not saying it's a smart move for the rider but playing devil's advocate)

PJZOCC624

TLRSKUNK;292479 wrote: why is it on the tech inspector to be a dick.
If the rider trusts his helmet after Shoei ok'ed it after a crash he isn't going to hurt any one else if it fails in another crash. (spare me the well he will cause emotional pain and suffering if someone watches him crash. we are all adults and need to take responsibility for our own actions.)

(not saying it's a smart move for the rider but playing devil's advocate)
Spare me the "we are all adults..." yadda yadda crap.

Ever seen someone roll through tech with brake pads worn to the metal?
Ever seen someone roll through tech with cords showing on their tires?
Ever seen someone roll through tech with an oil filter leaking because the rider didn't torque it tight?
Ever seen someone roll through tech with pinched brake lines?

Because there are some STUPID f'ing people out there that need to be protected from THEMSELVES because they think "Hey! I'm an adult! If I fall and hurt myself, it's on ME! Ain't nobody gonna tell me how to ride!" - problem with that is they usually end up hurting someone else. So the rest of us need to be protected from the stupid out there.

So, yeah, if someone rolled through tech with a helmet that's got gashes or scratches, letter or no letter, chances are the dick on the power trip, in the interest of SAFETY, may fail the helmet at tech.

Ruhe52

This dick will. No power trip needed. Deal with it. The question was asked and an answer was given. The question was not give me an answer I will only like.
To Duham's point how do I know that lid has no been crashed since a letter was issued.

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

meowculpa

PJZOCC624;292484 wrote: Spare me the "we are all adults..." yadda yadda crap.

Ever seen someone roll through tech with brake pads worn to the metal?
Ever seen someone roll through tech with cords showing on their tires?
Ever seen someone roll through tech with an oil filter leaking because the rider didn't torque it tight?
Ever seen someone roll through tech with pinched brake lines?

Because there are some STUPID f'ing people out there that need to be protected from THEMSELVES because they think "Hey! I'm an adult! If I fall and hurt myself, it's on ME! Ain't nobody gonna tell me how to ride!" - problem with that is they usually end up hurting someone else. So the rest of us need to be protected from the stupid out there.

So, yeah, if someone rolled through tech with a helmet that's got gashes or scratches, letter or no letter, chances are the dick on the power trip, in the interest of SAFETY, may fail the helmet at tech.
A lot of assumption here.

if there are problems with bike prep, it is a hazard to other riders on the track and as such is dangerous and needs to be censored. And yes, this includes safety wiring a go-pro camera.

However, the OP is acknowledging a crash with damage to the helmet. he then decides to pursue a scientific evaluation by the makers of the helmet and upon being certified safe, is looking to use it ( and furnish a paper to the effect , proving that it was tested) . If anything, this helmet has been scrutinized in excess of the common QC for the assembly produced helmet. Personally, I don't see a reason for him not to use it and for tech to doubt his intentions .. His intentions are clear . He doesn't want to use a substandard helmet on the track.

By accusing that the helmet has since had another crash after the letter from the manufacturer is plain cynical. It is not a fair judgement of his character, in my book. Besides, wearing a damaged helmet jeopardizes the rider and not anyone else, unlike a poorly prepped bike. How often do we see ripped off leathers / gloves with duct tape that passes tech. Dual standards? No one seems to mind that the seams are blown etc. (it is a monumental task for CRs and the rider safety should essentially fall on individuals )

My personal preference is a new helmet but not everyone can afford a quality helmet. I do have to side with TLRSkunk here. I hope the rule gets reviewed. Dogma, after all, is the sacrifice of wisdom to consistency.

just my 2c.
carry on.

PJZOCC624

My issue is with him calling out a CR as a "dick" on a "power trip" for failing someone at tech. I could give a flip if he - or anyone - wants to use a substandard or suspect helmet. The implication that a CR would fail someone for any reason OTHER than safety is a big fat pile of ass cheese.

PJZOCC624;292507 wrote: My issue is with him calling out a CR as a "dick" on a "power trip" for failing someone at tech. I could give a flip if he - or anyone - wants to use a substandard or suspect helmet. The implication that a CR would fail someone for any reason OTHER than safety is a big fat pile of ass cheese.
:agree: