Drone questions

fleemos

Hello all! I'm fairly new to track days and will be doing my second weekend at Road Atlanta this weekend. I have a friend with a drone that is interested in coming out and getting some video. His drone is pretty quick and he estimates 80mph is possible. I have a few questions:

Are spectators allowed to fly drones?
With the speeds his drone is capable of, how close can he get to the action for a possible shot following someone(he'd keep the drone off to the side over the grass for safety reasons)?
Are spectators allowed on the bridge just after turn 10 to do photography?

Thanks

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I would say no on the drone, many tracks don't allow them, but I'm not familiar with RA's policies. A director will hopefully chime in, but from a safety perspective, I would say no.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Many tracks do not allow drones regardless of a particular clubs rule. I don't think we have addressed a particular rule in the rule book stating that they are prohibited, but I would say no drones even if a track does not have a policy against them. I will deffer to the Partners to correct me if I'm stating this in error.

I agree...serious safety issue, with considerable lethality if things get crazy...interference with Wi-Fi systems..track transponders...etc.

fleemos

Yeah I figured it might be a safety problem as it's to enforce rule so people don't fly it in restricted areas. Thanks for the prompt responses.