Ducati 999 Running Temps

Ducati89

Hey guys,

I have a Ducati 999 biposto converted to an "R" from another owner. He installed high compression pistons to the thing, as if that was needed.

My question is what temperature are your Ducatis running at? I had an overheating issue the last track day. Since then I've removed the thermostat, flushed the coolant and replaced it with distilled water and water wetter.

When blasting around the neighborhood it still seems to get hot fast, albeit it's been 90+ degrees the last few days.

The bike only has 53xx miles on it.

Any suggestions or pointers are most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Blinky

If your balls are roasting then you have nothing to worry about. Mine runs around the 220 in the heat. I don't have water wetter in this bike but it might run a tad cooler if u are running wetter. But in the mean time, wear something comfy unless u don't want kids. I belive over heating is about 245 but will have to check the book on it.

nickmick

on my 749, the temp gauge won't even start to get angry until 230 or so? i forget, but on a hot day i'll be in the low 200's

Ducati89

I appreciate the numbers guys. Thank you. Blinky, I've plodded through "the manual" and couldn't find the temperature threshold. I am half Italian but ignorant in the language.

Just to throw some #s that I've experienced, I had it get to 228 in a matter of minutes on a 90 degree high humidity day. The last track day it boiled at 270 and I got right off of the track. I've cut some of the excess fairing away from the radiator and oil cooler and both fans do come on when they are supposed to.

Any other suggestions or pointers are welcome. The ducky is my track hoe. She doesn't see the street anymore.

nickmick

I would be worried at 270. that's pretty hot. is the fan kicking on?

i would definitely investigate. thermostat, water pump, hoses, etc.

fyi, i just ran Putnam a few weeks ago in upper 80's if not lower 90's temps, and my 749 stayed under 210.

betarace

usually 220-235 while moving and rarely higher. For reference a real R motor is more over square (Instead of the 100 x 63.5mm bore and stroke of the lesser 999s, the 999R has a larger bore 104mm and shorter stroke 58.8) and revs higher (11,500) over the standard.

The high compression pistons more than likely are driving the heat. You could move to a corse radiator from Ducati
999RS oversized radiator - part number 548.4.049.1B
999RS oversized oil cooler - part number 548.4.050.2B

but I would look at a switch for the fans (turn on immediately on pit in and leave running), ensuring the bike is mapped (i.e., not too lean, or slightly richer) and running higher octane gas.

Ducati89

Betarace, thanks for that knowledge. I think the motor was re-worked without thought on the cooling. The motor does rev to 11,500. I will investigate those parts coupled with a fan switch and pc3 setting.

Nick:

I removed the thermostat and looked at the hoses with no issue found. The cooling system was flushed without issue.

It must be said that before the Duck went to the track, it never rose above 225 on the street.

Thanks all for the input.

Jon

Blinky

Make sure u don't have any air bubbles in the radiator that's causing some problems.

Check water pump too.

I would go with the over sized radiator and change out the fans for better ones if you had engine work that would increase heat. I'm not sure but you could probably put another fan on too.

Ducati89

Hey Blinky,

I'm having trouble finidng that corse radiator. Both fans do work. I dont know if I can stick another in there. I have a track day tomorrow. If it overheats again it'll be inthe shop for work.

Thanks all for the info.

Jon

Blinky

Do you have aftermarket race fairings on it or OEM plastics. Do you have airvent holes in the race plastics if you have them?

Ducati89

Guys, I really appreciate the links. I found some of those last night and I booked marked them for further review later on. Thanks a million.

Blinky, I have race plastics and I modified the front upper and lower fairing to allow more air in and I modified the plastics by the knee area by drilling airvent holes to allow the hot air to be swept out.

I go to the track tomorrow and it should be a toasty day (96+ F - sunny with humidity). I'll post results.

Blinky

For sure let us know what goes down. Make sure you walk around and ck for other ducks. They might have more knowledge about other tips.

Be safe and good luck.