Finally Bit the Bullet

Pseudolus

I've been watching NESBA from the sidelines for more than a year and it's time to take the plunge! I'm very new to riding (one season, 2,000 miles under my belt on a Yamaha FZ6R; 800 miles this season on a BMW S1000RR) and I think I need to hit the track for the first time! I'm a father of two, have a great motorcycle mentor in my brother, and I worry so much on the street (animals, gravel, oncoming cars) that I'm leaning towards only riding track moving forward. That and I just bought a beast that I can't use at all unless I'm willing to pay for the tickets or constantly risk death (I'm unwilling to do either:D).

One question off the bat. I signed up for NJMP Lighting on 6-16. How do I know that I actually locked in my spot? I got the event e-mail but it references receiving a notice several days before the event so I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm how I know I'm locked in? I'm planning on also doing Thunder on 6-22 so hopefully I can meet a few NESBA members. I've really appreciated the vibe around this forum and the welcoming atmosphere.

A Pic of my monster that I plan on tracking is below. Any other advice on how I should prepare for my first track day (I'll also use the search so no worries) is much appreciated. I hope to learn a lot from you experienced folks and appreciate your advice in advance!

LesPow

Control Rider
Welcome to Nesba. You should be able to log into your acct and see your upcoming events, click on View my Events. Tab. The e-mail/notice you'll be receiving is the Liability release that you can print and bring to registration,(with I.D.) the day of event.
Do a search like you said for info on what to bring/prepare for your first TD, and lets have some fun!! Welcome to the addiction.

http://www.nesba.com/Info/Forms.htm

Pseudolus

denbsteph;243434 wrote: why wouldn't you want to TD the 600?
Thank you sir. I sold the 600. It was my "smart/rational" decision to enter the world of motorcycles and was heavily influenced by my brother. The FZ6r has a detuned R6 engine so it pretty much ensured I survived my first riding season.

I'm a man of extremes so naturally, my next decision was totally and utterly irrational and I went with the S1000. I've now gotten over the newness of it and realize I need to surround myself with people who can teach me how to use it in as safe an environment as possible. At first, I thought, no F'ing way I'm taking this thing to the track and risking crashing it. Then I realized that what I'm currently trying on the street is actually more risky....

Pseudolus

Rasta;243436 wrote: Welcome to Nesba. You should be able to log into your acct and see your upcoming events, click on View my Events.

http://www.nesba.com/Info/Forms.htm
Thank you brother! It looks like I'm confirmed for both but I see that that they didn't charge me for Lightning. It looks like they automatically put me in "intro" but for Thunderbolt, they put me in "Beginner." I'm hoping the intro doesn't limit me since I want to ride the whole day but I'll call NESBA tomorrow to make sure. I have an addictive personality (as I'm sure most on here do) so I'm DREADING the addiction! LOL

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Check out the intro thing. Intro is just the first two sessions of the day for free, and that's it. That's why you weren't charged. If you want to ride the whole day you'll need to be in the Beginner group and pay for the day. Email info@nesba.com to get it fixed.

The 600 was a smart choice to learn on. I agree with denbsteph, the S1000 is a helluva bike to learn to track ride on. I'd have preferred a 600, but a non-detuned one unlike your FZ6, more like the R6. :D But, true, the track's a relatively safer place to ride it compared to the street. Just focus on being smooth and learning the proper lines and body position. Forget about speed, it will be a by-product of proper technique and smoothness.

Read the links Rasta provided, especially the Riders' Manual.

Have fun!

Ruhe52

Judy forgot something and this is speaking from first hand knowledge of the beast you plan to track.

Walk out to the garage right now and pull Two if not three plug wires off the spark plugs then the BMW is set for learn mode.

After over 100 track days then jumping on the BMW has taught me how to clench my butt cheeks so hard it hurts my throat. Good luck welcome to the addiction.
Just show up with ego in non extreme mode. The BMW is a fantastic bike me an mine are still circling and sniffing each other like two new dogs in the pen.
Not 100% certain we will be life long friends but have not killed each other yet. Have fun!!!!

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;243450 wrote: Welcome! Just focus on being smooth and learning the proper lines and body position. Forget about speed, it will be a by-product of proper technique and smoothness.

Thanks HondaGal, I just e-mailed them so appreciate the guidance. Also appreciate the advice on being smooth. That's the part I'm most excited about. Learning how to read the track/turns. I can't wait!

Ruhe52;243461 wrote:

Walk out to the garage right now and pull Two if not three plug wires off the spark plugs then the BMW is set for learn mode.

After over 100 track days then jumping on the BMW has taught me how to clench my butt cheeks so hard it hurts my throat. fun!!!!
LMAO!!!! I get the same feeling right around 9-10K RPMs. I'm just getting to the real power band of this machine and my mind is screaming "IT'S RIPPING YOU OFF THE BIKE". I think it's part age, part knowing my number one priority` (getting back home safely to kids).

Well I think you just helped me decide to definitely put it in Rain mode for the track. I drive it in Sport on the street so I was debating what to do but I will take your advice and tame the beast a bit. Cheers!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Pseudolus;243479 wrote: Well I think you just helped me decide to definitely put it in Rain mode for the track. I drive it in Sport on the street so I was debating what to do but I will take your advice and tame the beast a bit. Cheers!
Good idea! Once you get to the point you want a dedicated track bike (and you will!!! LMAO!) you'll probably want a 600, like many of us. I rode a variety of bikes on the track over the years, including a CBR929 that isn't even close in power to your Beemer. My track bike is a 600. I've learned more on it.

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;243480 wrote: you'll probably want a 600, like many of us. My track bike is a 600. I've learned more on it.
I've heard a lot of people say exactly this. What is it about 600's that make them preferred for the track? I've heard they're lighter/nimbler in the turns but is that it?

I believe you're right and I'll end up going the 600 route since I want to focus on track moving forward. At this point, I've done things a bit backwards (excluding the smart FZ6R purchase). I purchased the Beemer thinking I would only use it on the street, and realized it has no business there. So I'm left tracking a bike I never wanted to track and thinking about restricting street riding to cruisers......:eek:

Some things just have to be experienced to be learned!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Pseudolus;243483 wrote: I've heard a lot of people say exactly this. What is it about 600's that make them preferred for the track? I've heard they're lighter/nimbler in the turns but is that it?

I believe you're right and I'll end up going the 600 route since I want to focus on track moving forward. At this point, I've done things a bit backwards (excluding the smart FZ6R purchase). I purchased the Beemer thinking I would only use it on the street, and realized it has no business there. So I'm left tracking a bike I never wanted to track and thinking about restricting street riding to cruisers......:eek:

Some things just have to be experienced to be learned!
It has more to do with the power, actually. The power delivery isn't as strong/abrupt on the 600s compared to today's crop of liter bikes, so you can learn to get on the gas earlier out of turns with less risk of high-siding yourself to the moon. (And today's 600s are much more powerful than those of a decade ago).

Same reason it's smarter to learn street riding on a smaller bike - you can focus on the skills instead of figuring out how to tame the throttle.

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;243484 said:
It has more to do with the power, actually. The power delivery isn't as strong/abrupt on the 600s compared to today's crop of liter bikes, so you can learn to get on the gas earlier out of turns with less risk of high-siding yourself to the moon.
Got it! Thank you! Am I wrong to have a false sense of confidence in the Beemer's traction control to prevent high sides? I've been thinking that as long as I don't go past Sport mode and drive in good conditions (no rain, gravel etc...), it's dam near impossible to high side this thing? And truthfully, I haven't even had my traction control activation light even come on.

Which brings me to yet another question.:eek: What's the general feeling of the veterans about all of these technological safeguards and whether they hinder or help newbies learn how to ride? I love the feeling of always thinking the bike will correct my little mistakes but perhaps we need to experience the true results of those mistakes?

pefrey

I think the rain mode is a good idea. Also, you might want to ride it naked. What I mean is take off all the bodywork. Just a thought.

Most of all enjoy yourself and play nice with others. We are all trying to get home to something at the end of the day.

EDIT: IMO traction control will not prevent a highside from a spot of oil on the track (unlikely) or on the street (likely). I'm sure there's riders on here who can highside every bike imaginable given the challenge, including 5 hp pit bikes.

GriffinD

Congrats, that is a helluva bike. I've ridden them @ CSS a few times & absolutely loved it on the track.

I'll be seeing you @ NJMP :cheers:

Pseudolus

pefrey;243491 wrote: I think the rain mode is a good idea. Also, you might want to ride it naked. What I mean is take off all the bodywork. Just a thought.

Most of all enjoy yourself and play nice with others. We are all trying to get home to something at the end of the day.

EDIT: IMO traction control will not prevent a highside from a spot of oil on the track (unlikely) or on the street (likely). I'm sure there's riders on here who can highside every bike imaginable given the challenge, including 5 hp pit bikes.

Thank you sir. I suck with a wrench but I'll look into what it would take to remove the bodywork.

GriffinD;243493 wrote:
Congrats, that is a helluva bike. I've ridden them @ CSS a few times & absolutely loved it on the track.

I'll be seeing you @ NJMP :cheers:
Can't wait to meet you there and thanks! I just got in touch with Bob and he corrected the Intro issue so I'm all set for Lighting and then Thunder 6 days later!

Funny story (to me:D). I wanted this bike so bad but didn't want to commit to it since I had so little experience and it was expensive. So I signed up for CSS this August at VIR so I could sample the bike (and do my first track day). Then I got to thinking, "well shouldn't I be as prepared as possible for CSS and have real experience on the bike?" :idea: I think my wife barely bought the argument..... I can't wait to see how CSS approach these bikes (setup, rider mode etc...) for fairly new riders.

Thanks again to all of you for the input/advice! CHEERS

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I can't speak for all the new devices...traction control, etc. When I learned to ride, none of that stuff existed, so I learned to ride "old skool". LOL. I'd imagine they'd help, but are not a replacement for learning good, proper technique.

1up5down

Control Rider
Welcome to NESBA and riding on the track. You will hear and get a wealth of advice from various individuals.

Below is a great place to great quality advice from experts! Sign up, watch the videos, read the articles, ask questions, and or send Ken or Nick your vidoes and they call you to review and give you advice to help you ride faster safer!

This is great way to get your track riding started as several NESBA riders and coaches have incorporated these techniques into thier riding/teaching.

www.fastersafer.com

I look forward to seeing and meeting you on June 22nd @ Thunderbolt!

Allen

Brutus

Pseudolus, for starters, my advice is to get great tires (which can be expensive) and plastics for the bike. Then, whatever you do, take your time to learn -- do MANY track days and lessons. Increase your speeds slowly and you'll be fine. I started out on a CBR 1000 and have never regretted it. Now I ride a Supersport build 750. Perfect for me! Be safe!