Frame sliders made of aluminum vs. plastic

updated

The plastic frame sliders wear quickly in a slide.
Aluminum sliders don't wear as quick, but are there other benefits to plastic?

updated;9090 wrote: The plastic frame sliders wear quickly in a slide.
Aluminum sliders don't wear as quick, but are there other benefits to plastic?
Plastic is the way to go!:adore: metal is just an extension of your mounts, you don't want to use those trust me, seen too many in the shop with broken mounts from a crash.

TwoTyres

I had woodcraft aluminum sliders and it saved my bike in a high side at beaver in July. the puck ground down and the mount bolt bent, it could have snapped off the engine mount but i was lucky. I have now replaced them with the delrin sliders because they should absorb more energy than the solid aluminum.

beaverunSED019.jpg

Yank 521

Control Rider
i never used the metal, but very happy with my plastics. i tested them a few times and they held up pretty good.

PJZOCC624

updated;9090 wrote: The plastic frame sliders wear quickly in a slide.
Aluminum sliders don't wear as quick
I don't think the plastic sliders will spark when contacting pavement. (Actually, I'm pretty certain on this) Every so often, in the midst of the occasional rubber/asphalt disassociative event, fuel has been known to leak from the offending motorcycle.

ALUMINUM+ASPHALT=SPARKS
SPARKS+FUEL=BBQ

For me, the less things than can possibly make sparks in the event of a crash, the better. Plus, I believe the plastic type will absorb energy better. Just thoughts...

Quantum_Ape

I don't know if such a thing exists, but i think it would be beneficial to have frame sliders with built in dampening. A spring or absorber, soft material to crush, or the like to help absorb a rough impact. The only downside i have seen to frame sliders is damage to the frame from a good impact. I'd rather my body work take the damage in that case. :)

Meat

I am with you Ape. I have seen a bunch of damage done to the frame and some to the engine due to the frame slider attachment bending.....but not sure if that is a design issue in that the slider attachment is the weak link. :dunno:

I guess that aspect is limited by the fastener diameter, material and length to end of slider.

I am just going to try to avoid testing my sliders out......or that is the plan until I crash.:eek: