Going to my first track day at Barber in 2 weeks. Any tips?

streetroc85350

After getting a lot of help from everyone on this site, I'm very excited to say that I will be doing my first track day at Barber in two weeks. I'll be renting a '13 ZX6R and I already have two piece leathers and boots. Apparently the Icon helmet that I've been using on the street is expired (didn't realize they were dated) but I'll be getting a new one this week along with some full gauntlet gloves. I also have an Icon back protector. Is there anything else that I need? Should I be doing anything else to prepare for this? Watching videos or studying maps to learn the course? Are there any other must have items that I should bring?

Also, I just signed up for the track day without buying a membership package but I see now that the packages include instructors? Do I need that? I've been riding for years but never on a track.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Is this your first ever track day? If so, make sure to let the CR's know at the novice riders meeting. They'll probably assign a CR to you for the first and maybe second sessions. Safety at the track is paramount and learning how to safely get on and off the track while others are at speed is a necessary skill. After that, don't be shy, ask questions of the CRs. Stop at the end of each session at the pit in area in the paddock and get feedback from the CRs. There's a lot to this sport beyond just twisting the throttle and hoping you don't see Jesus. Remember, this is about having fun so try to relax, there's always lots of folks in the paddock to talk to and learn from.

SlownSteady

I’m new as well, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it might help to have some perspective from someone who is just a little less new than you.

Helmet wise, look for a helmet that is track oriented with good visibility. I bought an AGV K3 thinking it would fit the bill, but it was made for a more upright position, meaning my vision gets cut off in a tuck and while trying to look through to my next marker.

I’ve started looking at track maps and videos before going to a new track. I let the Control Riders and coaches show me the line, but having a general idea of the layout has helped me feel more comfortable.

I think there is a waitlist, but the Advanced Training Program (ATP) might be worth looking into if you can swing it.

streetroc85350

Is this your first ever track day? If so, make sure to let the CR's know at the novice riders meeting. They'll probably assign a CR to you for the first and maybe second sessions. Safety at the track is paramount and learning how to safely get on and off the track while others are at speed is a necessary skill. After that, don't be shy, ask questions of the CRs. Stop at the end of each session at the pit in area in the paddock and get feedback from the CRs. There's a lot to this sport beyond just twisting the throttle and hoping you don't see Jesus. Remember, this is about having fun so try to relax, there's always lots of folks in the paddock to talk to and learn from.

Yeah it's my first track day. Are control riders the same thing as instructors?

tdelegram

Control Rider
Jack’s comments are on point, all of the cr’s are volunteers and donating their time and dollars (gas, tires, brakes...), we all are trying to help people. As a new track rider a couple things that might help:
  • We accelerate down a straight as hard as we can so we have as close to a consistent speed and know where to go to the brakes
  • your vision will allow you to go faster, if you know where and when to look you can go to gas sooner and brakes later
  • smooth is important, tires loaded smoothly will take a great deal of force compared to those that ate loaded abruptly
Go out and google YCRS, they have a bunch of videos on technique. I will be there on a red R1 #112 if you have questions stop by my paddock.

Tom

streetroc85350

I’m new as well, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it might help to have some perspective from someone who is just a little less new than you.

Helmet wise, look for a helmet that is track oriented with good visibility. I bought an AGV K3 thinking it would fit the bill, but it was made for a more upright position, meaning my vision gets cut off in a tuck and while trying to look through to my next marker.

I’ve started looking at track maps and videos before going to a new track. I let the Control Riders and coaches show me the line, but having a general idea of the layout has helped me feel more comfortable.

I think there is a waitlist, but the Advanced Training Program (ATP) might be worth looking into if you can swing it.

That's a good point. What helmet do y'all recommend? The only one that fit me at my local motorcycle shop was a cheap $110 one. Is that sufficient? And how bad is an old helmet? My Icon speed freak is in perfect condition except for a scratched visor. But the motorcycle shop said that it was made in 2009 so I should get a new one.

What is the advanced training program? I thought that was only for advanced riders?

SlownSteady

That's a good point. What helmet do y'all recommend? The only one that fit me at my local motorcycle shop was a cheap $110 one. Is that sufficient? And how bad is an old helmet? My Icon speed freak is in perfect condition except for a scratched visor. But the motorcycle shop said that it was made in 2009 so I should get a new one.

What is the advanced training program? I thought that was only for advanced riders?

The HJC RPHA is decent and doesn’t cost closer to $800 like some of the Arais, AGVs, or Shoeis. Not sure what kind of helmet it is, but if as long as its snell/dot/ece full face it should be sufficient.

Tom above mentioned the YCRS videos. I think the N2 ATP is essentially a condensed primer of YCRS material. It looks like they cover a lot of the same concepts.

streetroc85350

Jack’s comments are on point, all of the cr’s are volunteers and donating their time and dollars (gas, tires, brakes...), we all are trying to help people. As a new track rider a couple things that might help:
  • We accelerate down a straight as hard as we can so we have as close to a consistent speed and know where to go to the brakes
  • your vision will allow you to go faster, if you know where and when to look you can go to gas sooner and brakes later
  • smooth is important, tires loaded smoothly will take a great deal of force compared to those that ate loaded abruptly
Go out and google YCRS, they have a bunch of videos on technique. I will be there on a red R1 #112 if you have questions stop by my paddock.

Tom

Thanks for the tip I'll definitely stop by and say hi. Passing is only allowed on the straight for novice riders right?

Also, what do you mean by vision? As in quality of vision or knowing where to look? I'm a pilot and I have perfect 20/20 vision if that helps.

I'll have to check out those technique videos. I fly aerobatic airplanes in competitions and we try for the same kind of smoothness and consistency on the controls that you are describing. And at least on a bike I won't have to squeeze my muscles to keep from blacking out from the g-forces!

mpusch

Micah
Thanks for the tip I'll definitely stop by and say hi. Passing is only allowed on the straight for novice riders right?

Also, what do you mean by vision? As in quality of vision or knowing where to look? I'm a pilot and I have perfect 20/20 vision if that helps.

I'll have to check out those technique videos. I fly aerobatic airplanes in competitions and we try for the same kind of smoothness and consistency on the controls that you are describing. And at least on a bike I won't have to squeeze my muscles to keep from blacking out from the g-forces!

I believe the technical rule for passing in novice is close to "when the bike is straight up and down". Doesn't necessarily mean just the front straight, but it will depend on the track you're at. This will be explained very clearly in the rider's meeting.

Tom's referring to knowing where to look as opposed to how good your eyes are (though that's helpful too!). You go where you look. As a pilot you probably have a better understanding than most! If you are looking ahead to where you'll be in a few seconds it slows everything down in your mind and allows you to better control the bike.

The helmet discussion is important. When I first started I had no idea helmets expired either. The big racing organizations have a five year limit on helmets, and I think that's a good rule to follow in general. As mentioned above, make sure it's SNELL or ECE approved. DOT doesn't really mean anything on it's own to us who actually want to protect our brains. Even the Harley bucket style helmets are DOT approved.

This is a *personal* preference here because there's a fair amount of good helmets in the entry level range ($120-$300) that will work on track. I rode on track with a Scorpion 400 (has since been updated a couple times to the 410 and then 420). There's not much in the way of frills, but it's popular and rated well. Make sure it fits! This is probably the most important thing to get right. Most people in the US have intermediate-oval head shapes (which is how most helmets are sold here, but not all). You also want it to be snug (but not so tight that it'll hurt). It will break in a little bit, so I've been known to lounge around my house with my helmet on for a bit.

You may know this stuff already, but I figure it's better to over-answer. We were all starting out at one point!

Last edited:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President

Great helmet that won't break your bank account.

Email jimmy@sportbiketrackgear.com for best pricing, great service and fast delivery (NO I do NOT work for them).
Just recognizing a company that has been great to deal with over the years and VERY helpful.

I had to buy a new helmet because my other helmets were getting over 5 years old, and WERA doesn't allow old helmets.
Arai's are just too expensive anymore, and having a kid racing doubles my costs....so Jimmy recommended this one....I now have 2.
It also comes with a dark smoke shield as a value added rather than having to buy one separately.

mpusch

Micah
Great helmet that won't break your bank account.

Email jimmy@sportbiketrackgear.com for best pricing, great service and fast delivery (NO I do NOT work for them).
Just recognizing a company that has been great to deal with over the years and VERY helpful.

I had to buy a new helmet because my other helmets were getting over 5 years old, and WERA doesn't allow old helmets.
Arai's are just too expensive anymore, and having a kid racing doubles my costs....so Jimmy recommended this one....I now have 2.
It also comes with a dark smoke shield as a value added rather than having to buy one separately.

I just bought this as a spare for the GNF :D

Attachments

• scorpion_exor1_air_corpus_helmet_750x750.jpg
    scorpion_exor1_air_corpus_helmet_750x750.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2

streetroc85350

I picked up a Shoei RF 1200 helmet from my local motorcycle shop the other day. It fits great and definitely is the lightest and most comfortable helmet that I've ever had.

Looks like the weather forecast is calling for rain both days. How do track days work in bad weather?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
When participating in an outdoor Motorsport that is happening in the near future, using the “R” word is explicitly forbidden.

bmart

Control Rider
Verboden, indeed!

Now you'll have to pack your rain gear and rain tires to keep it at bay. Amateurs...lol