Grand Design Momentum G 21G toy hauler for bikes?

bossman2022

I am considering getting a small toy hauler to pull behind my F150, and the 21G from Grand Design fits the bill and is right on the cusp of what I would want to pull with my F150:

The goal is to be able to transport 3 sport bikes with Pit Bull retainers. The protruding sink sticking out is a bit of a problem but I think two bikes in the rear side by side and then one further up in the middle might work? Has anyone ever hauled bikes in one of these? Trying to avoid having to upgrade my truck, as going to an F250 I could get a larger unit and perhaps one like the 31G that has a separated 13' garage. I think I could get three bikes into that space, but that is not clear either. There is more total length in the smaller 21G as it's 14' but not that much. Since I would be sleeping in the unit not having to smell the gas fumes from transporting the bikes would be nice :). But not essential and I really don't want to upgrade the truck.

So hopefully someone has some experience with these haulers and whether I could actually get three bikes into any of them?

tdelegram

Control Rider
Most toy haulers are built to be as light as possible and designed to be used 1-3 times annually, if you're looking for something more durable look at the older worknplays, seems like pre2018 are still the old design build with 3/4 inch ply walls, floor and roof. They are heavy but very durable unlike the modern toyhaulers. Several folks here that have them or have had them. I loved my old 18ec and it now resides with another coach.

bossman2022

Good point to consider. It is one reason I was looking at the Grand Design as they seem to be pretty solidly built but it means it is a bit heavier so puts it right on the cusp of what I would want to actually tow with my F150 when loaded up.

Interior layout looks similar to the Grand Design except the GD has no wheel wells for more interior space. Are you able to get three bikes into the smaller work n plays? If so then I reckon it would fit in the GD also.

I can't seem to find too many used units anywhere but I will keep looking.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I had 4 plates and room in my 18ec, they have larger models but they will max out or exceed your f150.

damiankelly

This-
Keep the 150 until you want to buy something else. It will tow an aluminum ATC TH
this will not lose value or fall apart like a toy hauler..
GD is a great Brand But…

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You need to look at the GVWR of any toy hauler/trailer. Empty weight numbers for a RV are useless as it tells you nothing, unless you intend to load up for the track weekend with no bikes, gear, tools, spares, gas, water, food, or literally anything. Some of the empty weights on RV's don't even include the weight of propane in the tanks or the batteries in them.

Nobody has pulled a trailer/TH and said "You know, this truck is just TOO stable, stops TOO good, and handles TOO well". My Ram 2500 is overkill for my Work n Play, that has a GVWR of just over 10k. Truck is rated for almost 17k. What I have is a towing experience that's 1 finger on the steering wheel driving at 80MPH in over drive. It's not any fun white knuckle driving a rig and you're mentally worn out before you even get set up at the track.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Nobody has pulled a trailer/TH and said "You know, this truck is just TOO stable, stops TOO good, and handles TOO well". That's how I feel pulling my 24 foot trailer. I can actually say I don't know it's back there.

bossman2022

Yep, ended up getting a 2500HD truck as I have towed a heavy trailer with a half ton before, and it ain't fun.

So next thing is to get a trailer. Likely gonna get a 31G grand design. Now I need to figure out how to attach the Pit Bull Trailer Restraint system into the trailer. How do you go about installing those into the floor of the trailer? Is it easy to do or should I have an RV dealer do it perhaps once I sort out the layout?

MK3Brent

Treebeard
How do you go about installing those into the floor of the trailer?
Pretty easy if you're careful and can plan ahead right.
The kit comes with everything you need, and the instructions are clear as well.
One thing that trips people up is over torqueing the bolts. If you do that, the locks can get all crooked and be a pain in the butt.
Over all, pretty simple.

Motofun352

Control Rider
It really depends on just what is suspended underneath the floor location where you want to place the plates. My toyhauler was very restricted with various fuel tanks that I didn't want to drop. I found a heavy duty C section cross beam that was ideally situated. I drilled and tapped the flange of the beam to accept the TRS bolts working entirely from above.