Had an oopsee and looking for feedback.

Laszlo

Howdy all!

I wanted to get some thoughts and feedback on the following. Which I will start with, I am okay thankfully. I have learned it is a good way to start conversations :)

On Tuesday, in a parking lot of all places going maybe 15 mph headed to a work meeting from my office to across campus (wearing my helmet, riding jacket and gloves), I high sided, didn’t catch the bike (so much for dirt riding experience being helpful at least for me on pavement), and despite thinking that I cleverly landed, ended up breaking both my bones in my forearm likely b/c I put my hand out. Treatment went well, I now have two titanium plates and some screws, and two months to spend recovering and learning in a different way to prepare for the upcoming season. I used to fence and coach fencing for a couple of decades, and so I’m familiar with my own and athlete rehab mentally and physically to thread the needle of not overdoing it and getting back into good shape.

I’m looking for feedback on possible causes so I can try to avoid this in the future. As best as I can tell, in some way like many events, there was no singular cause responsible for this. Instead, I think it was a confluence of the following events (perhaps mostly b/c of me):
  • cold tires, was about 40° max, from about 30.
  • Me adding slightly too much throttle while still being in the turn. If I had to gauge how much throttle there was, I was probably going from 5% to about 30%.
  • Link to short vid of what is a routine and completely unassuming small right hand turn in a parking lot. I high sided going right under the tree at the end of the video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAXsfQKP7aBSXX917.
  • Doing so in an area of the parking lot that was not in the middle and so there was probably some loose granular matter?, as well as a slight incline and so the tire was more on its side.
  • There was no black ice, and it was fully sunny. This was at about 0945 in the morning, after the bike had been sitting for two hours from my 30 mile commute which usually gets me into the office at 0730. This is on a triumph speed triple 1200 RS, running Dunlop mutant tires with about 2700 miles on them, and a good amount of tread remaining. The tires have handled well in wet, as well as cold temperatures.
So what I’m looking for feedback on is, could it have been anything else in your perspectives? Me too much and/or quick throttle?

I’m looking really to try to see what if any of this is avoidable, and the first thing I need to do to assess that is to try to better understand what happened. I have no ego or Id in this game, so I’m not looking for a light touch. At 47, in pretty good shape, and hope to keep riding for another 40 :) so so looking for feedback on what I may be missing from my own perspective. I tried to get footage from public safety, but they delete everything 24 hours later, so I made my request too late given that this is not important enough of an incident to keep the recording.

Be well,
Laz

p.s: champ school grad school at the end of April in North Carolina, will certainly be a different level of event than what I had anticipated, but I know very useful, just a tad different than what I was expecting it to be :) look forward to seeing any of you there.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Sorry to hear about that, Laz!
Cold tires probably amplified everything you experienced here. After viewing your video of the location, I could see how changing directions around the building could cause some acceleration to the rear tire.

I’m recovering still from a few breaks in my hand from a crash in September, so I feel for you and the process you’re going through. Do all the PT they prescribe for you, and take it easy. I hope you get to take the class in April without too much pain.

Laszlo

Sorry to hear about that, Laz!
Cold tires probably amplified everything you experienced here. After viewing your video of the location, I could see how changing directions around the building could cause some acceleration to the rear tire.

I’m recovering still from a few breaks in my hand from a crash in September, so I feel for you and the process you’re going through. Do all the PT they prescribe for you, and take it easy. I hope you get to take the class in April without too much pain.
Thanks Brent! I will definitely adhere to PT and listen to my body. Yeah, I'm thinking that under the circumstances and with your thinking it was possibly change of direction-- either my throttle was too high or too quick given all additional other circumstances. Appreciate the feedback, I hope your recovery goes well! Look forward to seeing you and sharing a beer!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Cold tire crash through and through. It's no joke. I know you mentioned your YCRS experience, but there's a reason they harp on it so much. Nobody in the world, not even MotoGP riders, can save a cold tire crash. Zero warning and it's an instant loss of traction.

Laszlo

Cold tire crash through and through. It's no joke. I know you mentioned your YCRS experience, but there's a reason they harp on it so much. Nobody in the world, not even MotoGP riders, can save a cold tire crash. Zero warning and it's an instant loss of traction.
Well, maybe that tattoo that I'm gonna put over the scar, will simply say: cold tire! I'm 50% kidding.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I had a friend almost high side a bike he bought. It was high 30's, low 40's maybe. Just wanted to ride it around in the parking lot before taking it home.

Pirelli slick tire with only 20-25PSI in it or so. Didn't even let the clutch all the way out on his R6 with minimal throttle (maybe 3,000RPM or so) and it broke loose. He spun it and broke it loose about a foot or two....real damn close to high siding. And he didn't even have the clutch out yet...in 1st gear.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
beginners_guide_to_moto_ice_racing_07.jpeg

And I was like BRAAAPPP!

@Laszlo

Glad you’re not worse off with the injury.

I think the “cold tires” tattoo over the scar is a totally cool idea (I’m not a tattoo guy but I’d get that tattoo).

Cold tire and maybe too a little abrupt on the throttle but I wouldn’t incriminate yourself. The fact that you’re diagnosing it means you’re a learning rider and doing it publicly means you‘re a bad ass learning rider.

Looking forward to seeing you at ChampSchool an April. You’ll be all healthy by then and back to full confidence so I predict you’ll have an evolutionary surge in your riding skills coming out of it. Some people just sorta float through ChampSchool but you’re going to eat it up.

Laszlo

@Laszlo

Looking forward to seeing you at ChampSchool an April. You’ll be all healthy by then and back to full confidence so I predict you’ll have an evolutionary surge in your riding skills coming out of it. Some people just sorta float through ChampSchool but you’re going to eat it up.
Thanks so much! More I replay it the more I think that is accurate. As a friend of mine put it: sometimes you pay tuition and sometimes you pay life’s tuition :) I look forward to seeing you in North Carolina and working with you. Until then, I’ll keep up with rehab, and doing a slightly different type of prep than I was contemplating. Be well!

Laszlo

I think it was a confluence of the following events (perhaps mostly b/c of me):
  • cold tires, was about 40° max, from about 30.
  • Me adding slightly too much throttle while still being in the turn. If I had to gauge how much throttle there was, I was probably going from 5% to about 30%.
  • Link to short vid of what is a routine and completely unassuming small right hand turn in a parking lot. I high sided going right under the tree at the end of the video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAXsfQKP7aBSXX917.
  • Doing so in an area of the parking lot that was not in the middle and so there was probably some loose granular matter?, as well as a slight incline and so the tire was more on its side.
  • There was no black ice, and it was fully sunny. This was at about 0945 in the morning, after the bike had been sitting for two hours from my 30 mile commute which usually gets me into the office at 0730. This is on a triumph speed triple 1200 RS, running Dunlop mutant tires with about 2700 miles on them, and a good amount of tread remaining. The tires have handled well in wet, as well as cold temperatures.
I think after benefitting from everyone’s thoughts, and more nights of sleeping on it, I believe the last item I would add to this list is an implicit reliance on traction control.