How to setup a BMW 1000RR for track???

Matt Gephart

Hey fellas. My freind just bought a new BMW 1000RR and is going to test his skills and bike on Road America in a couple of weeks. I took a look at the bike; very pretty, but I'm wondering if anybody has any experience getting it set for the track.

I'm sure he will figure it out, but anybody with experience could help us out a bunch.

-Alot of awkard angles on all lights to tape up, is there a better way to do it?
-Where is the fuse box and does unplugging the lights do anything to the bike?
-I think I read that the mirrors come off with two easy to find bolts, and same for the plate fender and blinkers, true??
-Will figure suspension settings, is there a good baseline for a 160lb rider?
-Any other tips and tricks, things to remove or anything?

Thanks for all of the help!

See you on the track - matt

BigBird

track body!! then set the sag up right and play with everything else at the track.

and make sure to have fun!

boxertwin

The Can-Bus wiring system used by BMW doesn't have any fuses.

Since the bike is designed to run on the track, I'd suspect there's a procedure for disconnecting the lights so the computer isn't flashing an error code constantly. He might want to check the manual.

Sklossmonster

The stock rebound valving is junk on both ends. Turn the rebound adjusters all the way in on both ends of the bike, it still won't be enough, but it will be on hell of a lot better than the pogo stick they put on the showroom floor.

beac83

I rode a stock S1000RR at Keith Code's CA Superbike School a few weeks back. I'm 185 lbs.

The suspension was not specifically set for me and it was decent. If he's a B or low-to-mid I guy, it should be good enough. Like Marshall said, tighten up the rebound damping, and set baseline sag. At 160lbs, the springs should be in range. Sing up with Turn One to get the baseline setup at the track.

They had the headlights and brake lights unplugged at CSS. It caused the cluster to throw an error alarm when the bikes were started. The alarm went away when you start moving, but the dash did continually report a headlight and brake light fault. I have no idea how to defeat this. Probably check the OEM maintenance manual for instructions.

They had added frame, front axle and swing-arm sliders to the bikes. You might want to think about that. Also, they said that Armor Bodies have track plastics available for this bike already.

As I posted after the school, the S1000RR is a very well-behaved bike on the track. I'm sure your buddy will enjoy himself this coming weekend.

Matt Gephart

You guys are awesome, thank you for all the help. I will help him get set up and he might go ask the experts when he is there.

Now we just have to hope that the rain gets pushed south for Saturday at Road America. I've crashed in the rain there before and don't have much interest in doing it again.

Thanks again -matt

Texter

Bike is ready for the track!

Body work is on the way but won't arrive until after the track day :(

Thanks for the help w the suspension!

Pics:
DSC01555.JPG

DSC01563.JPG

DSC01568-1.JPG

sbraxton747

Look under the passenger seat and you will find the fuses. There is a specific one for the front head lights. The rear light is LED and can be left on and taped over. I took everything off of mine and put an armor body on it. Good luck.

Stan Braxton
BMW S1000RR
#747 A

Texter

I assume the parking lights won't show either because the fuses didn't disable those when I pulled them a week ago. I just ended up pulling all the connectors anyway.

boxertwin

Texter;122469 wrote: I assume the parking lights won't show either because the fuses didn't disable those when I pulled them a week ago. I just ended up pulling all the connectors anyway.

Wow, I'm surprised it isn't a Can-bus system.