minimalist track day setup

Aaron Meade

I'm converting a trailer previously used to tow a small sailboat into my bike trailer. I'll be towing it with a mid-size sedan. I've got a pretty good trailer design in mind, and will be getting it done over the next few weeks. I will have a little bit of room on the deck for gas cans, and perhaps a small tool box. It will have a light (but not too light to track well) tongue weight. I plan to travel very light for cost savings, and wear and tear on my car. I'm a bike and backpacker, so I have lightweight setups for camping and cooking.

What's the least that you would recommend brining to the track, assuming that you have to rely on your own equipment and not the generosity of other riders? I want to be self sufficient, but light. I have a pretty good idea of what to bring, but I'll probably miss something.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Chair
Cooler-food/drinks
Camp stove(if camping)
Tent/canopy
Gas
Tools
Clothes
Maybe spare parts
Bike key

If using electric then a fan and tire warmers
that’s my minimalist list

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
This will be a fun topic. I think minimum requirements will change based on how long you have been in the sport.

if you are not running tire warmers I think at the very least you're going to need the following:

Tire pressure gauge ***see note***
Foot pump
Gas
Allen or hex drivers 3mm-10mm
Sockets 8mm -14 mm (throw one in large enough for the rear axel too)

That will be the most basic set up. You can adjust chain slack and maybe replace the front brakes with that set up. Stands are great if you want to replace tires at the track.

A note on tire pressure gauges. some of the cheap tire pressure gauges in the $15 range can be off by as much as 5 PSI. That would certainly be enough of an error to cause a crash. And they might not always be inaccurate, they might read incorrectly after they have sat out in the sun all day. Invest in a good tire pressure gauge. Do not trust the gauge on the tire pump.

Moving beyond that there are some things that are really important for creature comforts. A pop-up canopy will help keep you out of the direct sunlight. A fan with an extension cord can help keep you cool. On super hot days you are going to need at least a case of water for two people and you are also going to need electrolyte replacement. Bring camping chairs and if possible bring an extra cause you'll make friends at the track if I recall correctly you are new to the track, some tracks have places to get lunch right there but you will be so busy that you might want to think about packing and bringing lunch with you. Your best bet is to keep lunch light. One time I ate a pound of pulled pork and i almost vomited each time I applied the brakes haha.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I used to run with a 95 Saturn (now have Mazdaspeed3 hatchback so a little more room) and open 3 rail dirt bike trailer. I bring all the things Eric wrote minus fan\tire warmers\stove. In place of that I bring a floor jack, cordless drill, and battery charger. Takes some organization but I can load it and still see out the back window. Tricky when I bring a spare rear wheel\tire but still doable. Also can do it traveling with 2 people. My friend had a Honda so he didn't need anything but his gear and clothes LOL Now he's got a R6 so all my spare parts are good for him too.

Aaron Meade

This will be a fun topic. I think minimum requirements will change based on how long you have been in the sport.

if you are not running tire warmers I think at the very least you're going to need the following:

Tire pressure gauge ***see note***
Foot pump
Gas
Allen or hex drivers 3mm-10mm
Sockets 8mm -14 mm (throw one in large enough for the rear axel too)

That will be the most basic set up. You can adjust chain slack and maybe replace the front brakes with that set up. Stands are great if you want to replace tires at the track.

A note on tire pressure gauges. some of the cheap tire pressure gauges in the $15 range can be off by as much as 5 PSI. That would certainly be enough of an error to cause a crash. And they might not always be inaccurate, they might read incorrectly after they have sat out in the sun all day. Invest in a good tire pressure gauge. Do not trust the gauge on the tire pump.

Moving beyond that there are some things that are really important for creature comforts. A pop-up canopy will help keep you out of the direct sunlight. A fan with an extension cord can help keep you cool. On super hot days you are going to need at least a case of water for two people and you are also going to need electrolyte replacement. Bring camping chairs and if possible bring an extra cause you'll make friends...

Excellent thanks! How much gas should I plan to carry in? I believe I have the rest covered, though I’ll need to buy some pit stands.

I may or may not buy a canopy and chair(s). My camping setup is a hammock with rain/shade fly setup on a portable frame if car camping where there are no trees. It is very comfortable, but it’s just for me without company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
Excellent thanks! How much gas should I plan to carry in? I believe I have the rest covered, though I’ll need to buy some pit stands.

I may or may not buy a canopy and chair(s). My camping setup is a hammock with rain/shade fly setup on a portable frame if car camping where there are no trees. It is very comfortable, but it’s just for me without company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minimum 5 gallons of gas per 600cc bike per day. I think some of the faster guys on 1000 bikes use 10 gallons a day. You'll probably have leftover gas with 5 gallons in the beginning but it's better than running out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
Every track I've been to also sells gas. It's 2x as expensive but if you're out it's certainly convenient.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Bring 5gal you can always go out and get more or just by a couple of gallons at most tracks.

traveling to the track with a full tank also helps

Aaron Meade

It will be interesting to see the elaborate setups and super fa$t bikes I am sure some people will show up with.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Also, if you don't bring a canopy, I'm sure whomever you're pitting near will invite you to share their shade. I've always got room and an extra chair!
Bring sunscreen!

You said you camp, so you'll probably do this, but many of us camp at the track for a 2-day event, so to that tent, add a sleeping bag, pillow, mattress.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I would add a generator to the list too. Not all of the tracks have electricity. Oh, I am one of those with a large fancy rig and I started where you’re at so as you start to build your kit consider where you’ll be in 2 years and long term that may save you some $’s.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
But not just any generator...a quiet one. But, if you're new and not running tire warmers and can do without a fan, I don't see a need. I didn't get a genny until I started running warmers, which wasn't until I was a year or so into the Intermediate group.

bmart

Control Rider
Go light, not small. A trailer that you have to walk around things on just sucks. I have three old Subaru 4-cyl Legacies and all get used for towing an aluminum trailer with a 120" x 64" bed. Plenty of room on the trailer for two bikes, two sets of Pit Bull stands, two canopies, spare wheels, etc. The rest goes in the wagon. The rest is: four containers of spares, warmers, etc., gas containers, gear bag, backpacks for hotel, chairs, cooler, cords, spare front wheel/tire. 19-20 MPG towing. Not bad!20191019_101422sm.jpg 20190405_161943sm.jpg 20170325_134226sm.jpg

Aaron Meade

Thanks for all the replies. I think I should be able to cobble together a pretty adequate setup to get started with. I'm riding a street bike, so no need of tire warmers. I can live without power otherwise, so no generator. I guess I'll probably evolve my gear as time goes on if I get deeper into it. At this point I'm just hoping I can actually make it happen. I wouldn't even be able to consider it pre-divorce. Now I don't need permission, but I do need money. You know what they say... marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand. I always thought that was a joke, but yeah.... it's pretty accurate.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Agree with what a lot of the others have said. Start off minimal and let your program grow from there. You will find out what you need as you do more days! Starting off, I'd say all you really need is a basic tool set, canopy, lawn chair, a full tank and a 5 gallon gas can as well. Assuming you have the time to have your bike prepped prior to loading (lights taped up/numbers put on your wind screen using painters tape or whatever), you'll be set! Don't need a generator, don't need stands, don't need any of that just starting out. Start small and take it from there.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Agree with what a lot of the others have said. Start off minimal and let your program grow from there. You will find out what you need as you do more days! Starting off, I'd say all you really need is a basic tool set, canopy, lawn chair, a full tank and a 5 gallon gas can as well. Assuming you have the time to have your bike prepped prior to loading (lights taped up/numbers put on your wind screen using painters tape or whatever), you'll be set! Don't need a generator, don't need stands, don't need any of that just starting out. Start small and take it from there.
50 foot toy hauler?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
36 foot and two axles for those of us a with more meager requirements then Tom.