More Barber Dates

Since there is a special thread for more VIR dates, I would like to be the first to bitch and whine for more Barber dates.:D I love the fact that there are 6 Road Atlanta dates and believe me, April can not get here fast enough to suit me. I can't make the March Barber events and November is just too damn long to wait. I DO NOT want to ride with any other track day org!!!!! Anyone else feel the same?

Tuono1000R

I will 2nd that motion. The two weekends we have on the schedule are high risk for crap weather too.

I recognize the challenge that NESBA has in keeping the dates that we had last year and/or retaining the # of events. It takes $$$. With the really rainy season and poor attendance last year, I understand it will be difficult NOT to do less.

However, STT has six weekends at Barber. X-Act Motorsports is not really a full player in the trackday orgs and he has just as may weekends at Barber.

I WANT TO RIDE WITH NESBA. But, that option appears to be floating away.

Nesba

We had an August date that was poorly attended so we removed it from the schedule.

If members don't go we won't book.

leanangler

Control Rider
I hear you Bob, and as you well know, the reverse could be said "if you don't book, then members don't have the opportunity to go".

Nesba

Ok maybe i wasnt clear. Historically the August event we had for the past 6+ years was a lower attended event. Instead of keeping lower attended events we remove them from the schedule.

IF we(NESBA) have an opportunity to book events say in April, May, June, Sept, Oct at Barber we would book them.

JBZ1k

Barber or anywhere else for that matter in August can be pure hell with the humidity and temps. My feelings are not hurt about not having a Barber date then.

Lonewrench

I am buying the Barber facility, OK I'm not......... That being said I will confess I have sat along with Jerry on my lovely ass for the past two years at Barber during the August event. I do completely understand not booking that particular event. Bottom line it was no so busy.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
:agree: It is a quite lovely ass Chuck. :D

My last August @ Barber was in 2006, and I must confess that event was fun..but Hell's not hotter than Alabama in August. Plus, with people with kids getting their Summer vacation last Hurrah's in before the kids go back, it probably causes attendance at those events to dwindle.

If NESBA cannot run weekends in the red..that's not a sustainable business model.

sheepofblue

Lonewrench;300145 wrote: I am buying the Barber facility, OK I'm not......... That being said I will confess I have sat along with Jerry on my lovely ass for the past two years at Barber during the August event. I do completely understand not booking that particular event. Bottom line it was no so busy.
I was there and stunned by the lack of people. Not often you get almost to much open track at Barber :wow: Most poeple think August in AL but that week is after the cool down and no less risky for heat than June. Of course it is also a WERA weekend at TGP which likely draws some "A" and "I" riders off, making it harder to fill.

JRA

JBZ1k;300143 wrote: Barber or anywhere else for that matter in August can be pure hell with the humidity and temps. My feelings are not hurt about not having a Barber date then.
Many feel the same way, although it's definitely not any hotter than VIR in August and that doesn't seem to deter people from going there. The numbers though have not been good enough to justify the cost the last few years. Probably the hottest trackday ever was in the summer at VIR a couple of years ago. Funny, I don't ever remember it being unbearable at Barber and I've probably been there fifty times.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
JRA;300159 wrote: Many feel the same way, although it's definitely not any hotter than VIR in August and that doesn't seem to deter people from going there. The numbers though have not been good enough to justify the cost the last few years. Probably the hottest trackday ever was in the summer at VIR a couple of years ago. Funny, I don't ever remember it being unbearable at Barber and I've probably been there fifty times.
VIR's also at the DMZ between the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast Regions..so you get a mixed flavor of members from both regions attending. So I'm going to have to guess that VIR's location gives it a distinct travel advantage for attendance regardless.

It's in my radius of tracks I can get to on one tank of fuel in my truck which makes it more reasonable from Baltimore, Hun. :D

Atlanta's 2 tanks
Barber's 3 tanks

Which I would do once a year if/when enough of us could get together for the trip to split the costs.

So that may also factor into attendance.

bmrboy

JRA;300159 wrote: Many feel the same way, although it's definitely not any hotter than VIR in August and that doesn't seem to deter people from going there. The numbers though have not been good enough to justify the cost the last few years. Probably the hottest trackday ever was in the summer at VIR a couple of years ago. Funny, I don't ever remember it being unbearable at Barber and I've probably been there fifty times.

I remember a few times at VIR I thought I was melting .... And who could forget South when the power went out !!!!!!!!!!
OMG !!!!! That was just BRUTAL ..:eek::eek::eek: at least 150 degrees ...:wow:

Nesba;300139 wrote: Ok maybe i wasnt clear. Historically the August event we had for the past 6+ years was a lower attended event. Instead of keeping lower attended events we remove them from the schedule.

IF we(NESBA) have an opportunity to book events say in April, May, June, Sept, Oct at Barber we would book them.
How do other track day orgs. get them and we (NESBA) can't???? I'm not trying to start a shit storm or anything here, I just don't understand. Barber is the closest track to my home and I like it a lot. I don't care what the weather is, I will be there anytime NESBA has an event(and that damn job of mine doesn't get in the way). I've said it before and I'll say it again---I DO NOT WANT TO RIDE WITH ANY OTHER TRACK DAY ORGANIZATION!!!!!! However, to get my fix, I will.

On a different note, there is another track opening in Bowling Green, KY that is even closer. Rumor has it that will open in Sept of this year. I hope like hell NESBA is looking into this as well. Bottom line here is I want to ride motorcycles on racetracks. I can only travel so far, just like everyone else. Until the Corvette track opens in KY, I consider Barber my "home track" and I will ride it whenever I can.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I understand both sides of the fence here. I understand people like myself that want more track dates. I also can relate to the business side.

The only thing I can't stop wondering about is what NESBA is going to try for 2015 when they see the declined attendance of track days. I can't prove it, and I could very well end up 100% wrong (I do all the time if you ask my wife), but my bet is that these 1 day events aren't going to draw nearly the size of crowds that a 2 day or the occasional 3 day weekends used to. My guess is that the people that live 2 hours or closer to the track aren't going to be deterred by it. I'm guessing it will affect people that drive 3 or 4 hours one way. Makes you think twice if it's worth driving more hours than you're riding. This is only going to get compounded by the fact that VIR North Mondays have doubled in price compared to 2013 (Comparing Elite to Elite prices)

I'm sincerely hoping that the attendance will be strong as ever (Well, as much as the track scene has the past 4 or 5 years with the economy) and I get proven totally wrong.

JRA

Having a weekend over a one day event is always nice for me personally because I don't live closer than four hours to any track. I've been here over ten years now and I've made the trip to VIR many times for a sole VIR North Monday (both with NESBA and Cornerspeed). I think having a two day or three day event would be nice, but the truth is there are a lot of riders who show up for VIR North Monday that aren't there for South if we have that over the weekend.

Has anybody ever noticed the number of people showing up in the paddock at North at 6:30 on Monday morning, or even rolling in Sunday night? I'm not trying to diminish what you guys are saying, and we'll add some South stuff if it makes sense, but a one day at North is still going to draw a lot of people. We have a ton of riders who are local to the area. I could be wrong but having been in charge of handing out the wristbands for years I have a pretty good feel for this.

Mike, regarding Barber, when I first started CRing we had about six weekends a year at Barber. As the novelty wore off of the track we scaled back on events as attendance scaled back. We draw strong numbers in the spring and fall (and whoever said the weather is iffy then isn't familiar with central alabama weather), because it's still a destination racetrack for a lot of people. We have riders from all over the country at those events, but when the summer rolls around and there are other opportunities for people to ride in warm weather closer to home, they don't want to make that trip. Other organizations maybe have a stronger following in the Alabama area than we do, and can squeak by in the lean months by relying on those people. The truth is that the Barber trackday market is saturated IMO. You can go and ride motorcycles there twice a month, or more, if you want to. Barber is big bucks to rent, and we have to have a nearly full event just to cover the costs. That's no joke, for years we've held the line on pricing to attract people in the summer and it hasn't panned out.

That's just more evidence that, for now at least, the majority of people riding trackdays are doing it when their wants, and schedule coincide with an organization that is riding the track they are interested in, and price is secondary, because most people who are still riding trackdays are in good financial shape. The economy has forced most of the riders out of this sport. I'm taking a shot in the dark, but I'd say there are about 75% fewer riders participating in trackdays now than there were six or seven years ago. If you don't see yourself as I've just described that still doesn't make it any less true, because we are still talking about a lot of people.

I think people just don't understand how the economy has affected the track day scene. There is a pie of riders that is either stagnant, or possibly still shrinking. We'd like to have the majority of that pie loyal to NESBA and ride only with us, but truthfully the majority just want to ride when it's convenient for them.

If the economy starts booming again you'll see the trackday scene start picking back up. If you start hearing news reports that the motorcycle market is booming again you'll know that things are going to improve from the top to the bottom. Look at Moto GP, WSBK, AMA, the club scene, the trackday scene. Heck, Suzuki didn't even import motorcycles into the US for an entire year. This situation wasn't just a blip, it was a serious hit and there are still ripples. Unfortunately we are still bobbing up and down because of it.

JRA

I've said it before and I'll say it again---I DO NOT WANT TO RIDE WITH ANY OTHER TRACK DAY ORGANIZATION!!!!!! However, to get my fix, I will.
I've seen that you have said this previously, so I have a question. Does this mean you won't ride with NESBA if we have an event that fits your schedule at a track that you like?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You're absolutely right John. I never even thought of that. Now that I think about it, there seems to be almost two separate crowds - The crowds that ran South on Sat/Sun, and the North crowd. Very few people ran both. Probably due to work scheduling. Even with that, I still can't remember that many South days where the crowd was lacking. Never seemed sold out, but always a solid attendance. Just seems odd to not have that many South days on the schedule.

Still sucks that North is on a Monday, requiring me to take leave to attend. Oh well. Can't have it all I suppose. :D

Ruhe52

Used to be the only way you got a North day was Monday. First few years with NESBA we never had a Sat or Sun at North so I see that as a positive trend this org did for us and now as far as North is concerned we are just back to normal.