Need help deciding on boots

Jgelack

Hi guys, I really hope you don't mind all the gear related questions! I've just been trying to upgrade some of my street gear for gear that's more track focused! This way I'll be all ready for the start of next season. Because I'm really not sure what's good and what's not, I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction. I already have my suit, and just ordered gloves, so now I'm starting to think about boots, and could use your advice. The boots I'm considering are the new Sidi Rex and Mag 1 boots and the AStars Supertech R's. My first boots were Sidi Vertigos, and they took a LONG time to break in and get comfortable. My feet would ache in them after only a short while, eventually they did loosened up and were fine. I recently retired them after 5 years and picked up the new Sidi Roarr boots, which surprisingly were MUCH more comfortable right out of the box! Ive never had my foot an AStars boot, but the Supertech's do look intriguing. Obviously, protection is what's most important to me, with comfort being a close second. Price really isn't a factor. If anyone has any experience with any of these boots, I'd really appreciate your input and recommendations. Thanks again, John

tdelegram

Control Rider
Never had the Astars but hav heard good things about them. I have used the top of the line Sidi’s and have moved on to the dianese in the suit boot. I love the sidi’s off road, best dirt bike boot super comfy, and the street ones are also comfy. The downside for the sidi’s on the track go me is that the boot regularly would get caught on my heel guards and inhibit foot movement on the pegs, braking and shifting.

Jgelack

Never had the Astars but hav heard good things about them. I have used the top of the line Sidi’s and have moved on to the dianese in the suit boot. I love the sidi’s off road, best dirt bike boot super comfy, and the street ones are also comfy. The downside for the sidi’s on the track go me is that the boot regularly would get caught on my heel guards and inhibit foot movement on the pegs, braking and shifting.
Yeah, I've heard of a few people having that problem with the bracing on the Sidi Vortices getting hung up on their pegs. Looks like the Mag 1's and Supertechs wouldn't have that problem due to their internal bracing. I guess my only concern would be are they less protective.

Motofun352

Control Rider
The A-Stars are a bit wider than the Sidis. They also have a softer sole. I have both the Vortice and the Supertechs and I find myself always choosing the Supertechs. I like to be able to feel the end of the foot peg through the boot. Both are top shelf items in terms of safety.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've been using the Supertech Rs for about 10 years. Comfortable and protective. When the soles wear out, they can be shipped to Alpinestars and resoled for around $100. Doubt I'll ever switch to anything else. Try them on. I think they run about a size large. I'm a women's 9.5-10 (I forget what that is in mens) and I wear a 41 in the Supertechs.

Jgelack

Thanks for your responses! I think I'm going to try the Supertech R's. The only thing I wish my Sidi's had is just a little bit more width, especially in the toe area. As long as I'm not compromising on protection, it sounds like the Supertech's would be perfect! Thanks again!

bmart

Control Rider
A* all the way. Protect like a tank. Comfy like a slipper. Vented versions flow a ton of air. Resolable. Sidis make feet bleed...

I use SMX.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I'd lean towards the Supertech R's. Very comfortable and can wear them all day. I've had a few brands like Teknic, AGV and Gaerne they are good and I was happy with them. I even had a pair of the older Alpinestar SMX and I liked them but the Supertechs are my favorites by far.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Love Supertech Rs, as mentioned. My current dilemma is my new Dainese suit. It's designed to be worn over boots. Theirs, apparently. Won't go over my Supertechs. I can zip up the expansion panel, which is supposedly to allow them to be worn inside boots, but there's just too much material and they are a bit too big for that to work. I need new boots this year anyway, so I'm looking at the Dainese Axial D1s, which are designed with velcro to match to the suit's velcro. Either that, or I get the suit altered in the legs. Decisions, decisions! :rofl:

Jgelack

I just received my Supertechs yesterday! And like all of you have said, they are super comfortable, yet still feel VERY protective! The only problem is I specifically ordered the regular version, and they sent me the perforated model. I've never used or owned a perforated boot before. So I'm not sure whether or not I should keep it or send it back, and reorder the non perforated model. What do you guys think? Is a perforated boot any less durable/protective than a non perforated boot, due to all the holes? My suit and all my jackets are perforated, I LOVE the perforation, and wouldn't think of riding in anything else, especially in the heat. I'm just unsure about the boots. What are your thoughts? Thanks again!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
My Supertechs are perforated, no less protection and very welcomed in the summer heat. If you ride in the rain, your feet might get a bit wet, lol. I have an old pair of non-perfed for rainy track days. Looking at both, protection is the same.

I'd keep the perforated ones. I won't buy non-perfed track day boots.

bmart

Control Rider
On that note, unless you have (very hot to wear) waterproof boots (and a way to keep the rain from going in the top...) the vented ones aren't likely to make your feet any wetter!

Jgelack

Thanks guys, I'll keep the boots! I'm actually looking forward to feeling the difference using a perforated boot. I came home from work the other day and my new boots and gloves were both sitting there, it felt like Christmas came early lol! Thanks again!

Jgelack

So I had to order two different sizes of the Supertechs, seems I'm right in between sizes. One size is a "little" bit too big length wise, the other size seems perfect in length but feels tighter width wise. For those of you guys that have these boots, can you tell me if they will stretch out with use?

bmart

Control Rider
When people say leather stretches, what really happens is the stitching tears. But the larger size & wear appropriate socks. I wear only sock liners.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
When people say leather stretches, what really happens is the stitching tears. But the larger size & wear appropriate socks. I wear only sock liners.
Agreed. Plus, the Supertechs, as many boots, are made with a synthetic leather. I'm not sure how much that will "stretch". Also, did you try them on with your leather pants legs inside the boot? I assume so, but that'll take up room, too.

Jgelack

Agreed. Plus, the Supertechs, as many boots, are made with a synthetic leather. I'm not sure how much that will "stretch". Also, did you try them on with your leather pants legs inside the boot? I assume so, but that'll take up room, too.
Good point about them being made with synthetic leather, I forgot about that! I did try the larger size boots on with my leathers, and they did feel good! I was just concerned about the little bit of extra length. I just got the smaller boots last night, so I haven't had a chance to try them on with my suit yet, but I will make sure I do.