New member from Orlando, FL - Questions

JeremyGSU

Hello everyone,

First off my name is Jeremy and I am a new member to Nesba and I had a few questions about track days. I only started riding last May but I already have the track bug! I was hoping I could fend it off for awhile! I'm trying to scrounge up enough money to do Road Atlanta in May. I saw on the website that they recommend back protectors. Are they talking about an extra one like a Icon Vest or a Alpinestars Bionic under your suit? Or are they just talking about a back insert? I have a Frank Thomas Xti one piece with a Dainese Wave back insert that I was able to purchase. Will this suffice? I also have an Icon back protector vest at home but I'm not sure it would fit under my suit. I guess I could give it a shot if that's what they are referring to.

Also, how does passing work in the novice group? I've done nearly 40 track events in a car with Chinmotorsports but never on a bike. With a car you always give a pointby and I see there is no passing in corners in novice which is fine by me but what happens when you get to a straight away? If you're stuck behind someone for awhile or they are stuck behind me without mirrors how do they know they should pass? What if I am able to pass someone but he always out powers me on the straights? I'm just curious on how it works compared to the car world, I'm not saying I'm going to pass anyone. For all I know I may be the slowest guy out there. lol

I love tracking cars so I think tracking on a bike will be an awesome experience! Well, it's nice to be here! :D

Oh...also, I'm going to be tracking my street '04 F4i. I currently have Michelin Pilot Roads but I was planning on stepping up to Pilot Powers or 2CT's. Would anyone recommend one over the other? One guy I spoke to told me the regular PP's were better than the 2ct's on track.

Jeremy

Thanks for any replies!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
welcome....

back protector in your suit is fine...though i just bought a separate one for good measure...

passing in novice is restricted to 1) certain areas of the track or 2) where your bike is straight up and down

i am also tracking a f4i....that thing is a tank and stoodup to a 'few' mis haps last season...

JeremyGSU

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should clarify on the passing. I understand it is on straightaways only, I meant how does it work. Do you just pass when you can pass? Or are there rules about passing someone on a straightaway? I'm sure this will all be explained in the class I just curious ahead of time.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
well, i try not to stuff anyone in the corners....cuz i would probably crash, as smooth off the brakes onto the throttle i am not.....but during the riders meet, the CR's for that course will tell you where ya can pass....some say anywhere where your bike is perfectly vertical...others say 'between here and here...but not here'

as far as how the pass goes...give them some room...dont pass a CR unless she waves ya by....and pray that the bike you are thinking about passing is not a 1000

Drewbie

Welcome Jeremy.. I grew up in Oviedo and went to high school in Orlando. Cool to see members down that far.

Best advice is to read the riders manual. It will certainly answer a lot of your questions.

Jon has given some great advice. Adding to what he said, depending on weather conditions, the track, number of riders or if it is the first event of the year we will point out when and where you may pass in the B group. Typically we will become more lenient on those rules as the day goes by.

If anything, remember not to pass the guy/gal in the orange shirt unless you see a big arm windmill meaning they are waving you by. All this will be explained in the riders meeting the morning of the event as well.

Hope to see you out there!

Drew

Steve

Welcome to NESBA!

No, you don't have to wait for a "point by", just follow the advice given above. Heck, this is the first time I heard the term.