New to N2

BGroupRacing

Hi all,

I rode with NESBA back in 2008 & 2009 in the midwest before an accident made me re-think things with a young family at home. In 2018 I started doing track days again, but found that NESBA was not around anymore... so I started riding with MotoVid, a smaller local track organization. I have also done days with California Superbike School, Sportbike Track Time & ZARS. Even with over 50 track days, I'm still a slow old guy (mid to fast intermediate pace at my local tracks).

This year, I decided to do a lot of travel with the bike... which brings me to N2. I plan on doing 2 days at Nelson's Ledges end of July and am considering 2 days at barber at the end of November.

With that I have 2 quick questions...
  • I have no problem signing up and doing a day with Novice (assuming there isn't a lot of follow the leader), that said, if I sign up for Novice for 2 days (as that is what the site allows) how likely is it that I will be stuck there because intermediate is full?
  • Is there a discount on track days with a membership... is it a big enough discount to be worth while if I'm only signing up for 2 days? 4 days?
Thanks,
Steve aka BGroupRacing

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
There's a basic membership, which I think is around $65/year. The elite membership is couple hundred, may not be worth it if you only do a couple of days. But, it does allow you to cancel up to 8am the day of the event and get the credits put back in your account. You can also sign up last minute (assuming it's not sold out) without the additional late fee. The events are less expensive for elite versus basic member.

I think you can sign up without any membership, but I'm not positive, and don't know what those prices are above the basic membership price.

Hopefully someone else, like one of those director-types, can further enlighten!

So, depends on number of days, and if you want to cancel last minute without penalty, when deciding basic vs elite.

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome! We want riders in the right groups for their skill leve to keep everyone safe and to allow them maximum enjoyment! You do have to sign up initially in a lower group. Riders who are fast on the street frequently grossly overestimate their skills on the track (I sure did!) and this keeps the larger group safe while they are evaluated. If there is room in the next group up and you qualify, I can't imagine a reason to hold you back. Make note that the rules change from group to group, and moving up is a heavily influenced by riding safely within the rules of the group that you're in. On rare occassions, the next group up is full. You will still be moved up in the system, but will have to wait for an opening before riding in that next group. Be safe and respectful on track and have fun. You're going to love riding with N2! Be sure to come over and say hi if you get to the SouthEast. I'd enjoy riding with you!

BGroupRacing

Welcome! We want riders in the right groups for their skill leve to keep everyone safe and to allow them maximum enjoyment! You do have to sign up initially in a lower group. Riders who are fast on the street frequently grossly overestimate their skills on the track (I sure did!) and this keeps the larger group safe while they are evaluated. If there is room in the next group up and you qualify, I can't imagine a reason to hold you back. Make note that the rules change from group to group, and moving up is a heavily influenced by riding safely within the rules of the group that you're in. On rare occassions, the next group up is full. You will still be moved up in the system, but will have to wait for an opening before riding in that next group. Be safe and respectful on track and have fun. You're going to love riding with N2! Be sure to come over and say hi if you get to the SouthEast. I'd enjoy riding with you!

Thanks Brad, I was a bit worried about the possible issue with not being able to move up due to the group being full. I understand what your saying about street riders... but with 50 track days in the last 3 years... I have a good understanding of where I usually fit. All of my bikes are fully wired & switched to track safe coolant so that shouldn't be an issue. However at this time, it sounds like I should only sign up for one day at ledges rather than a weekend to avoid the possibility of being in novice to 2 days. Then if I decide to do barber, I should be set up in the right group.

BGroupRacing

There's a basic membership, which I think is around $65/year. The elite membership is couple hundred, may not be worth it if you only do a couple of days. But, it does allow you to cancel up to 8am the day of the event and get the credits put back in your account. You can also sign up last minute (assuming it's not sold out) without the additional late fee. The events are less expensive for elite versus basic member.

I think you can sign up without any membership, but I'm not positive, and don't know what those prices are above the basic membership price.

Hopefully someone else, like one of those director-types, can further enlighten!

So, depends on number of days, and if you want to cancel last minute without penalty, when deciding basic vs elite.
Thanks!

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks Brad, I was a bit worried about the possible issue with not being able to move up due to the group being full. I understand what your saying about street riders... but with 50 track days in the last 3 years... I have a good understanding of where I usually fit. All of my bikes are fully wired & switched to track safe coolant so that shouldn't be an issue. However at this time, it sounds like I should only sign up for one day at ledges rather than a weekend to avoid the possibility of being in novice to 2 days. Then if I decide to do barber, I should be set up in the right group.

It sure sounds like you'd be comfy in I. It may be worth a note to the powers that be. They may just chime in here and they may have insight to your options that I (as a lowly CR) may not. lol We do make exceptions for expert racers, as we obviously don't want them in N. Hope to see you out there. Consider Road Atlanta?

BGroupRacing

I had a friend back in the day who used to tell me how awesome Road Atlanta was. Its on the list... just not this year. Coming from Northern Wisconsin its a hike down there. I just got back from 4 days at Jennings GP and Roebling last month... Have a day in barber in 2 weeks and then likely doing barber in November... I think my trips down south are used up this year :)

mpusch

Micah
I had a friend back in the day who used to tell me how awesome Road Atlanta was. Its on the list... just not this year. Coming from Northern Wisconsin its a hike down there. I just got back from 4 days at Jennings GP and Roebling last month... Have a day in barber in 2 weeks and then likely doing barber in November... I think my trips down south are used up this year :)

If you're looking at Nelson...have you made it out to Pittrace yet?

BGroupRacing

If you're looking at Nelson...have you made it out to Pittrace yet?
Not yet... I just found out that both Pittrace and Nelson are right by my wife's family. The dates for Nelson worked out better for a visit than Pittrace, but it is likely I'll make it out there in the next year or two.

Being from green bay my primary tracks are...
  • Road America (1.5 hours away)
  • Blackhawk Farms Raceway (3.5 hours away)
I have also done days at these...
  • Autobahn North, South and Full (4.5 hours away)
  • Barber Motorsports Park (14 hours away)
  • Grattan (6.5 hours away)
  • NCM Motorsports Park West Track (9.5 hours away)
  • Streets of Willow Springs (Fly and rent bike)
  • Jennings GP (17.5 hours away)
  • Roebling Road Raceway (17.5 hours away)
This year I'll be adding
  • Putnam Park (7.5 hours away)
  • Nelson's Ledges (9.5 hours away)
And Still thinking about trying to make Brainard in MN for a weekend.

Road A = Roller Coaster
Road A is Road America to me :)

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
Loved Road America. I need to get back there. My bike blew up there on the first morning and shared a bike with a friend and still had a good time

2blueyam

Having ridden with MotoVid Green and N2 Intermediate, if you are Green group with MotoVid, I would think you should be a good fit for N2 intermediate. Maybe the powers that be at N2 can help you with that.

If you are Orange group it would probably be fine to go ahead and sign up for Novice both days. You might very well get a bump, but won’t be that out of place in N2 novice.

BGroupRacing

Having ridden with MotoVid Green and N2 Intermediate, if you are Green group with MotoVid, I would think you should be a good fit for N2 intermediate. Maybe the powers that be at N2 can help you with that.

If you are Orange group it would probably be fine to go ahead and sign up for Novice both days. You might very well get a bump, but won’t be that out of place in N2 novice.

I have talked with the administration and will be riding Intermediate. I am a midpack "Green" rider with motovid.

BGroupRacing

Loved Road America. I need to get back there. My bike blew up there on the first morning and shared a bike with a friend and still had a good time
I love Road America... You should come up and ride with us... There are 9 motorcycle track days there this year... 3 more than usual and I'll be at 5 of them. Just got a ducati v4 and can't wait to see what it feels like on a cheater, I mean liter bike.

If you are interested in making the trip this year, let me know, I'll get you some info on dates and orgs.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I love Road America... You should come up and ride with us... There are 9 motorcycle track days there this year... 3 more than usual and I'll be at 5 of them. Just got a ducati v4 and can't wait to see what it feels like on a cheater, I mean liter bike.

If you are interested in making the trip this year, let me know, I'll get you some info on dates and orgs.

Thanks. I'll look you up when I can get there.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Skip Nelson's and go to PIRC, the 2 are not comparable, pit is one of the best, if not the best track layout east of the Mississippi.

mpusch

Micah
Not yet... I just found out that both Pittrace and Nelson are right by my wife's family. The dates for Nelson worked out better for a visit than Pittrace, but it is likely I'll make it out there in the next year or two.
Skip Nelson's and go to PIRC, the 2 are not comparable, pit is one of the best, if not the best track layout east of the Mississippi.

Totally understand trip timing and such, but PIRC is really fantastic.

I've made the 14 hour drive to Barber for the last three years, and as awesome as it is (and it really is great!) I think PIRC is still better.

BGroupRacing

I've made the 14 hour drive to Barber for the last three years, and as awesome as it is (and it really is great!) I think PIRC is still better.

The drive to Jennings, Barber, Roebling, NCM and even Putnam this year is to get to warmer climates to extend the season to 10 months(February - November) from the 5 month (May - September) season we have in Wisconsin. I enjoy new tracks, but with the time & expense of travel, I would prefer just ride Road America, Blackhawk Farms or Autobahn when they are available.

I appreciate the input. I work 55+ hours a week & have a family that needs my time. Somehow I have planned 27 trackdays across 10 months despite that schedule... to do it I had to work to line everything up with family vacations, around birthdays, around school & work. pittrace is on my list of tracks to visit, but it didn't work out this year.

mpusch

Micah
The drive to Jennings, Barber, Roebling, NCM and even Putnam this year is to get to warmer climates to extend the season to 10 months(February - November) from the 5 month (May - September) season we have in Wisconsin. I enjoy new tracks, but with the time & expense of travel, I would prefer just ride Road America, Blackhawk Farms or Autobahn when they are available.

I appreciate the input. I work 55+ hours a week & have a family that needs my time. Somehow I have planned 27 trackdays across 10 months despite that schedule... to do it I had to work to line everything up with family vacations, around birthdays, around school & work. pittrace is on my list of tracks to visit, but it didn't work out this year.

Totally get it!

27 track days! My goodness, that's impressive. Nice work :D