New to Track Question

Axis

I attended YCS at NC Bike and stayed on saturday to ride with N2. It was my first time at a track and I had a great time. Learned a lot. I was hoping to attend a ATP day with N2 in July but was considering Pitt in June. Being this would be my first time at Pitt and only second time at a track, is there options to get advice from anyone or just show up and ask questions? Thank you for any advice.

Laszlo

Great Q and following (new to N2TD so don’t know a response;-( This is Laz by the way, I was at YCS as well; I’m going to Pitt in June for a day, see you there possible then.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Two questions.....1) Why wait till June? :sneaky: 2) You know that ATP is an add on all day class to a normal track day? You need to register for both the track day and ATP. It is like YCRS but in one day. You could just ride the track day as normal, and get some coaching from the CRs as normal at the end of sessions. Or are you after the extra instruction that the ATP classes offer?

It is not as if because you are new to the track you must do ATP.....Though I am not discouraging you in anyway from doing the ATP, as it is a great program, just making sure you know what is going on.

bmart

Control Rider
Hey Axis. Welcome! Are you talking about riding advice, or advice about Pitt specifically? I haven't been to Pitt since it was only 1/2 done. Coaches will all be able to answer any questions that you have about riding and will work with riders all day. You may consider pitting next to one so that you can p[ick their brains during the day, but also see what they do during a track day. Gear, bike check, food, help other riders, etc. Bring them a cold water. :)

Axis

Hey Axis. Welcome! Are you talking about riding advice, or advice about Pitt specifically? I haven't been to Pitt since it was only 1/2 done. Coaches will all be able to answer any questions that you have about riding and will work with riders all day. You may consider pitting next to one so that you can p[ick their brains during the day, but also see what they do during a track day. Gear, bike check, food, help other riders, etc. Bring them a cold water. :)
Just looking to learn as a new track rider. One would be to learn the track, tips, lines etc. The second would be advice on riding technique. As a new rider, its the old "I don't know what I don't know"...lol. In the end trying to be a safer, better rider. Thanks. Quick question, are control riders the same as coaches?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, Control Riders = Coaches. The ones in the orange vests that say "follow me" on the back. :)

You've got the right attitude for learning!

You can ask any one of us for advice during the day, we love helping new riders and seeing them improve! As you noticed when you rode with N2, the CRs/Coaches go out first, with riders behind, following. This is to help with learning the line, which is defined as the most efficient way around the track. We normally put out the double apex cones like YCRS does. Most of our CRs have taken YCRS, and we talk to their principles. We are out riding with the groups all day, grab one of us if you have questions, or want us to follow you to give advice.

The ATP program is a full day, an add-on cost to the trackday, as tad noted. It's more intense, with a low instructor to student ratio, and you are with the instructor all day, doing lead/follow, discussing riding points, and I think they do video, but I'm not positive. It's like YCRS light.

bmart

Control Rider
Pull up some YouTube videos and watch. That'll get your head in the right place to know what to expect from the layout. I recommend ones with cameras on the front instead of helmet cams to remove that rider variable.

Collect info in bite sized chunks and don't overwhelm yourself with info and advice. Take notes to refer to. Look far ahead (there's nothing you can do about what is right in front of your bike at track speeds). Stay loose on the bike. Have fun!

tdelegram

Control Rider
I just checked my calendar, I should be at Pitt in July, find me in the paddock, 112 r1 and r7 and I can help you with what you need.

tad158

Here is a good explanation of the line at Pitt sector by sector:

Here is an example of a lets say slower pace :) from when I was in intermediate and Anthony was coaching me on my lines.

Axis

Followup question for track day. My bike has Pirelli Rosso Corsa II on them. I have been told to talk to "the tire guys" at the track to give recommendations of what tire pressure to run. Who are the tire guys? If Dunlap is there but not Pirelli, do I ask Dunlap? thanks for any advice.

tad158

Pretty much with a street tire, 30/30 cold is going to be close. Pressures matter less for Novice Group, because the pace is much lower, so you just need to be in the ball park. However you don't want to use what is on the sticker on the bike, which is usually meant for 2-UP riding and lots of highway miles, not the same as a track day.

According to this article:https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/reviews/pirelli-diablo-rosso-corsa-ii-tire-review/#:~:text=In the meantime, for Pirelli,there for wear and grip.
"If you are going out on the track with a “cold” Diablo Rosso Corsa II tire, we recommend starting with pressures of 29 psi (front) / 25 psi (rear), and then checking the “hot” pressures after each session. "

Axis

Yup, Control Riders = Coaches. The ones in the orange vests that say "follow me" on the back. :)

You can ask any one of us for advice during the day, we love helping new riders and seeing them improve! As you noticed when you rode with N2, the CRs/Coaches go out first, with riders behind, following. This is to help with learning the line, which is defined as the most efficient way around the track. We normally put out the double apex cones like YCRS does. Most of our CRs have taken YCRS, and we talk to their principles. We are out riding with the groups all day, grab one of us if you have questions, or want us to follow you to give advice.

The ATP program is a full day, an add-on cost to the trackday, as tad noted. It's more intense, with a low instructor to student ratio, and you are with the instructor all day, doing lead/follow, discussing riding points, and I think they do video, but I'm not positive. It's like YCRS light.

Is ATP just for Novice riders?