No track days in the winter?

faster77

Just curious why there aren't any winter track days. I live in Minneapolis, MN and would LOVE to see some winter track days in Alabama, GA, etc. Was thinking it would be KILLER to take a few days off and cruise down south in the winter and ride.

faster77

I agree there. I thought the weather was typically a little warmer during those months. Guess I have egg on my face!

ronhix

faster77;4245 wrote: I agree there. I thought the weather was typically a little warmer during those months. Guess I have egg on my face!
LOL, How about south Florida, or maybe southern Cali or southern Texas??? Maybe even Mexico??

You plan it and pick me up on your way down. :)

Seriously though, most of us move to dirtbikes during the winter months.

faster77

ronhix;4249 wrote: LOL, How about south Florida, or maybe southern Cali or southern Texas??? Maybe even Mexico??

You plan it and pick me up on your way down. :)

Seriously though, most of us move to dirtbikes during the winter months.
If there are tracks there, and they are open for track days, we will go during the winter -- you can count on it!

rk97

who among us can afford to do this year round? :p

I'm not sure which will end up being harder: last winter, when I was itching to get on the track for the FIRST time, or this winter, now that I know what i'll be missing all those months!!!

at least this winter I can book track time in january rather than spending money on boots and leathers :D

faster77

well, in Minneapolis it's even tougher. our season is shorter than most..... MotoGP is in the 360 a lot -- let me tell you that! looks like there's at least one track in Florida that's running in December.... woot woot!!!!!

murf

I remember that NESBA hosted a Jan 31 / Feb 1 weekend at Jennings a few years ago (2004?)...

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Even though the temperature may say it's warmer somewhere, that's not the whole picture. Being a North Dakota native, trust me I feel your pain, Brother. The season up there is too short. You 2 seasons. "Winter" and "Not-Winter".

However, NESBA added Brainerd to the schedule, and I WANT to ride there, but
now living in Maryland makes it a heck of a drive to take advantage of it this year.

Back to weather comparisons...

Example. Xmas Eve 2000 was my Dad's last 58th birthday. I got tickets to the Ravens/Jets game for his Bday in Baltimore. At kickoff it was in the 30's. Sounds nice compared to Minnesota, right? The humidit in the air made that game one of the most bone chilling experience in my life. When the sun went down in the 2nd half my fingers turned numb.

A month later to the day he died of a heart attack. I was in Bismarck, ND for burial at the ND Veteran's Cemetary. I believe the temp that day was -25F. I felt more comfortable in Bismarck than I did at that game in Balitmore.

So Hix is right..you'd have very little grip at Barber in January. It's humid there. And you'd be freeeeeezing your butt off due to the humid, bone-chilling cold.

stephenjpauls

I'm sure its cold, The only thing I was trying to point out is that there is a track day the last week of October at Road America... Which I hope to go to, as long as its not snowing.

faster77

i understand completely. just curious why no track days in some of the "warmer" climates and now i understand.

oh yeah... i live in Minneapolis and am looking to move to Chattanooga, TN. Can't wait! anything below 60 is cold for me. yeah, TN aint costa rica, but it's a HECK of a lot warmer. plus i'm close to quite a few tracks!!!!!!!! (6 hours and down is close for me).