Noob here and not sure I should be here

joe schmoe

I am looking to do some track days to improve my riding skills. I haven't joined N2 with a membership yet.
I ride like I stole my 2018 BWM K1600GTL, but glancing through the intro's I see everyone has a true race bike or crotch rocket. Do people bring their K1600GTLs to these events?
Just looking for a venue to improve my skills. I ride the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway all the time as they are 30 minutes away from my house. So twists and speed don't bother me, but is N2 Track Days a good place to come to and get riding experience on a K1600GTL or is it for crotch rockets only?

Thanks!!

bmart

Control Rider
All bikes are welcome, but if you like it...and no one doesn't, you'll be on your way to a nice track bike to add to your stable. We do have some riders who bring other types of bikes and learn a lot!

Motofun352

Control Rider
The BMW 1600 is a great touring rig, it borders on being a great sport/tourer. Plenty of power and a decent suspension too. The biggest downside is the sheer weight. Every extra pound is a pound that has to be accelerated then slowed down and forced to turn. This makes a big difference in a start and stop sport like track riding. The other thing is it chock full of expensive doo dads should things go upside down. I would highly recommend trying to find a different mount. The "standard" answer is to look for a used medium weight bike like the SV650 that has already been track prepped. One can be bought for very reasonable prices considering all the track parts that are usually installed. Finally, a smaller, lighter bike with less power tends to accelerate the learning curve...no bombing the straights only to park it in the corners.

Check the for sale section here and at the WERA forum if looking for a bike...this is the right time of year! :)