Off season gear maintenance

bmart

Control Rider
My track season is over and I'm neck deep into cleaning gear, going through the bikes, etc. I thought I'd post what I do and hope that you do the same to help the larger group, particularly the new folks.

Remove back protector and pucks from suit and wash with gloves in the clothes washing machine. I use Persil in the pre-wash detergent spot, Castile soap in the regular detergent spot, white vinegar in the bleach spot. Use prewash, extra rinse, and cold water. Leather comes out like new. Do not dry! Condition it twice, fully, while it is still damp. I love Meguiar's 3 in 1 for this (and the car seats). Reinstall back protector and pucks when dry. Suit and gloves done until spring! (Not sure how this works with airbag suits!)

All of the regular stuff, shirts/vest, helmet liners, chest protector cover, armored shorts, helmet beanies, hats, (soft helmet bags) etc. all in the wash with the same detergent "stuff" as above on delicate with prewash and extra rinse.

Helmets get their EPS and dates checked, and the shell and shields get cleaned thoroughly (clean those vents with Q-tips!) and waxed.

Boot inserts come out to get the rocks/bugs/grit out just like after every track day. Clean the outsides as you like. Greased Lightning works pretty well.

All gear gets checked for damage, repairs needed/done, loose strings (can get caught in zippers) cut...note what you need for winter sales!

All of the equipment/spares gets similar checks and repairs. Bikes get all systems gone through, retorque important bolts, bodywork cleaned (stop laughing, Brent!).

Tuck it all away until spring and you'll be ready to roll!

20231101_222456sm.jpg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I always threw my Vanson in the washing machine. Dainese says not to, so I haven't, but am concerned about the sweat in the leather. I wouldn't throw an airbag suit in the washer.
But gloves, yeah!

bmart

Control Rider
Salt in sweat absolutely kills leathers and makes them come apart from brittleness. Unsightly and dangerous in a crash. If you're a big 'ole sweater, I'd clean it mid season also. Vinegar gets the job done, but you must recondition thoroughly.

I still have all of my Vansons, some 20+ years of use later, and they're all still in great shape.

Laszlo

Appreciate the write up! Do we have a wiki or someplace for such helpful posts? Am i dating myself with referring to a wiki?:)