Pit-Bull Trailer Restraint-Check your locking pins

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up because I couldn't find any information about this on the forum.

On 5/15/10 on my way NJMP, the locking pin that holds the axle pin to my rear axle failed, leaving the axle pin to move freely or fall out. I was extremely lucky and arrived at the track with the axle pin still in place. Had the axle pin fallen out, my bike would have surely fallen off my open trailer, resulting in major damage to my bike and whatever it would have hit. If I had continued driving, the axle pin would have eventually fallen out of place.

The axle pin locking pin was of the push-button type. I contacted Pit-Bull yesterday explaining the failure of the pin and they acknowledged the problem. Apparently there is a 1-2% failure rate for this type of locking pin and they anticipate it increasing over time. They are replacing them for free for whoever asks for them. They shipped them out to me the same day.

Please check your Pit-Bull Trailer Restraint System axle pin locking pins. If you have the push-button type, you may want to get them replaced for free from PitBull.

I don't know how the new pins look like, but I'm going to assume they look like this:

Or like this:

The ones that failed on me looked like this:

I hope this helps someone

ERB68

Thanks for the heads up.

I have the push button type. I also had a close call like yours. I thought I didn't get the pin in all the way when loading. (I drink beer when loading, could have been operator failure)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yes, contact PitBull and get 'em replaced ASAP. The new ones look like your top pic, like the clips that can go through trailer couplers. The second pic is the older ones, the ones they had prior to the push-button ones. They upgraded those for me for free, also, as I had that original type. No failure with those, but the safety clips sometimes got caught and bent. The new ones are just easier to use. Props to PitBull for such great customer service.

Here's George's post about it on the WERA bbs, with contact info: http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=241441

Thanks Judy! Yeah, George was awesome. He responded to my email in 18 minutes and shipped out my replacement pins the same day. He mentioned that he posted up on some forums a while back, but I didn't see anything on this forum or 600rr.net. I guess I learned about it the hard way haha.

I figured that since most of us here transport our bikes regularly, we should know about this issue.

Still counting my lucky stars that my bike didn't fall off the trailer. I was able to spin the axle pin with my fingers :eek:

ERB68;129497 wrote: I just called them and they are sending out replacements. WOOOT
Awesome!

BigBird

Thanks for the heads up! George will send the replacements over.

That could have been a disaster, but glad Pit Bull is always standing behind their product.

j_fuggin_t

pitbull takes care of this quick, he sent me 2 sets for each restraint i have, i had about a 1/4" left in my axle when it happened to me & the customer service i received was KILLER!! he apologized prob 18 times in the conversation & i had my new pins within 4 days

beac83

I got a second set of pins recently, and there was a notice about the change in design packed with them.

For now, I make sure my push-putton pins are always inserted from the top down, and I make sure the little ball has popped out, and the button has fully returned to the rest position. Last time I loaded the bike, I had to exercise the button to get the ball to seat.

I guess I should get some replacements.

Trent1098S

I've got both - for the Ducati, the old push button style. Probably hauled it 3000 road miles in the trailer with those. They're looking pretty ragged.

When I got the trailer restraint for the gixxer, I got the ones with the safety clip. Thought "oh cool, that's easier".. it never occured to me that they might have changed the design because of failures, not ease of use...

Will be calling for replacements before I haul the Duc again. Thanks a ton for the heads up man! The thought of having a bike go loose in the trailer with everything.. ugh. That's a worst nightmare dude.

sheepofblue

Next time someone is saying they are saving money by buying Chinese copies you might bring this up. Not only do they stand behind the product they actively distributed the info on a free (read costs them) upgrade. :rtfm:

beac83;129649 wrote: For now, I make sure my push-putton pins are always inserted from the top down, and I make sure the little ball has popped out, and the button has fully returned to the rest position. Last time I loaded the bike, I had to exercise the button to get the ball to seat.

I guess I should get some replacements.Yes, please do. I always made sure my pins were clipped securely before I left, but it didn't matter in my case.

See the silver portion of the pin and the gold button? These were gone when I reached the track. The silver pin portion broke off from the black portion. The only thing I saw was the black portion swinging in the wind from its wire when I got to the track.

Trent1098S;129675 wrote:
I've got both - for the Ducati, the old push button style. Probably hauled it 3000 road miles in the trailer with those. They're looking pretty ragged.

Will be calling for replacements before I haul the Duc again. Thanks a ton for the heads up man! The thought of having a bike go loose in the trailer with everything.. ugh. That's a worst nightmare dude.
No problem man. I'm glad my experience may prevent some nasty accidents. My PBTRS was fairly new. Purchased in 8/09 and put on only about 930 miles total. Call up/email George at pitbull and he'll get you replacement pins quick.
georgeh@pit-bull.com

Trent1098S

Email sent. Again, thanks for the heads up man.

I absolutely love Pitbull products, it's good to know they're standing by them!!!!

Lombardo Joe

After my first track day on Monday, I realized how my next investment needs to be a stand. I considered buying something 'affordable' so I could really just get the yab done, but I think you guys have me sold. I'm all about kickass customer support from honest people. I thinks I'ma get me a Pit Bull. Seems to be worth the money.

Trent1098S

Just an update: Got an e-mail back this morning replying to the one I sent late last night. Free replacement pins on the way for my 1098. Pitbull rocks!

Fast customer service and they stand behind their products. Can't go wrong there.

BigBird

Lombardo Joe;129936 wrote: After my first track day on Monday, I realized how my next investment needs to be a stand. I considered buying something 'affordable' so I could really just get the yab done, but I think you guys have me sold. I'm all about kickass customer support from honest people. I thinks I'ma get me a Pit Bull. Seems to be worth the money.
there is a thread about stands on here some where and the consensus is that Pit Bull rocks and basically if you want a secure stand, do it right the first time, and get the Pit Bulls...

eE jeremy

hell yeah, I've had a cheap stand and a pitbull, the cheap stand lasted a year and sucked, the pitbull is solid and I have feeling will last a very very long time (3 years and counting so far). I was so impressed I ended up buying a pitbull front stand 2 weeks after buying the rear. One of the better purchases I've made.

rk97

wait, so you guys are saying that Toyota could have gone about things differently, and come out ahead? :p