Plasti-Dip instead of tape?

Fredkayaker

I am looking forward to my first track day this month. I've started prepping my bike and was just about to begin taping my lights, when it occurred to my that I might be able to use Plasti-Dip instead instead of painters tape. The little investigating that I've done indicates that it would be fine, but I don't want to show up for tech and have the bike fail.

It's a dedicated track bike, so I don't care about the trouble that it would be to remove.

Any thoughts on this option? Is it even allowable?

Thanks in advance.

bmart

Control Rider
Why? Tape is easy, cheap, and fast. It sounds like a lot of work and if it comes off, causes a hazard. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone doing this. Can you share some links from your investigation showing it is fine at a track day?

There are two issues with lights/plastic/glass. One is that we won't want lights. Something like a seen brake light can be very distracting. (unplugging is easy) The other is keeping the bits together in a crash, hence the tape. It keeps debris off of the track surface and make cleanup fast/easy.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Hey, Fred.
Welcome to the sport, we're glad to have you.

The rider's manual states:
All lights and reflectors removed or taped over with masking, electrical, or plastic‐type tape or covers (Intro excluded)

Plasti-dip is not mentioned.

Since you have a 'track dedicated' bike, just remove the lights all together. :)

Fredkayaker

Thank you. I’ll just use the tape.

I read the manual and thought that the plastic-dip would perform the same as a plastic tape.

I did remove all of the lights and pulled the fuses. Still have to tape the lenses though.

Certainly not looking to rock the boat, just thought I’d ask.

Fredkayaker

Why? Tape is easy, cheap, and fast. It sounds like a lot of work and if it comes off, causes a hazard. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone doing this. Can you share some links from your investigation showing it is fine at a track day?

There are two issues with lights/plastic/glass. One is that we won't want lights. Something like a seen brake light can be very distracting. (unplugging is easy) The other is keeping the bits together in a crash, hence the tape. It keeps debris off of the track surface and make cleanup fast/easy.
I didn’t think to save the threads that I read. Not that important to me. Thanks for the reply all the same.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Honestly I think you would have to scuff the lens to get the plastidip to stick well, which obv would be less than desirable, since the headlights can be sold to help pay for more track parts.