Quick Response please! Buying CRF450R.

minman26

2004 CRF450R with the regular goodies (exhaust, some suspension work, sprockets, etc), low miles, newly refreshed for $2500. Good deal???

fizzer

If the tires, brakes and chain are good then yes, it's a good deal. I ride a 2001 RM250 and it's about perfect in regards to power and weight. I briefly had a 2002 CRF450R and didn't like it. It felt heavy and was way too fast for me. Good luck!

fossilfuel

I just sold my CRF450R for 2300.00. Here are some things you want to look out for. Check the carburetor very closely for tampering. The carburetor can only be torn down so far so if someone took it completely down then it will never run properly... There are 4 small allen head screws with white paint on them between the bowl and upper assembly. You might have to look at these with inspection mirror to see if they have ever been removed. Mine had this problem and there was no fixing it. A new carburetor is around $800.00.
At about this time fork seals start leaking and water pump shaft seals go. I replaced the fork seals myself. Check while running to see if there is any leakage around water pump. Check around counter shaft sprocket for leakage and inspect spark plug. Check for good operation of triple clamp bearings...does the front end move freely from side to side? Check wheels for cracking and for being out of round. Can the spokes be adjusted. If they are corroded and won't move you won't be able to reuse them if you have to replace a wheel.
I bought mine used and had some issues but once I corrected them I had loads of fun. I say these things to give you an idea about what the machine is worth and what you might expect.The CRF450R is truly an outstanding machine. The only thing better would be a new one.

minman26

Great info. Thanks guys! Store is closed until Tues so I have some more time for research and advice. I definitely need to check the bike's mechanical condition prior to buying. Looks very well maintained from my untrained eye.

Assuming the bike checks out, I think I am going to buy... kind of have my heart set on 250 2-stroke though for the rawness of it.

JRSMAIL

Like everyone else has said. I would also add to look to see if and of the bolts and nuts have been rounded or look as if they had a wrench on them. It can signal that the motor has been apart. I would expect that it has to check the valves by now. If not ask it it had the top end looked at. Pay close attention to the nuts and bolts.

For reference I picked up a 2004 husqvarna TE250 4 stroke dirt bike for 1600.00 that just had the top end done, carb cleaned and suspension serviced. That and it has electric start to boot. Ya baby.
The decals and plastic are a little worn but I don't care as it's just going to be thrown down the trail be me anyways.

I rode a CRF450 and though it was to heavy and was riding a CR125 at the time. A 250 4 stroke will get me in enough trouble by itself.