Registration for track bike in NC?

bossman2022

My track bike is clearly not road ready as it has no license plate, lights etc on it. My registration is now due and I still have the plate for it, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to pay the property tax on it and how I am supposed to hand in the plate and convert it over to off road use only. Can I do that via mail, or do I have to go stand in line at the DMV (Ugh) to do this in person? I can clearly pay the registration and property tax online, but the bike cannot be inspected by a shop as it's not road worthy so I need to give up the plate.

Any advice on where to look on the NC dot site?

MK3Brent

Treebeard
You don’t need to pay new registration and property taxes unless you’re renewing. If you are removing the bike from the road, you need to turn in your plates or mail them in. Ensure you do that before dropping insurance, or you may get a fine.

bossman2022

Ok so I can just mail the plates in and then don’t need to send in the payment for the property tax? I found the address for that so might do that onorrow.

I still have insurance for the bike.

bossman2022

So what is the process to unregister the bike if I don't send in the plate? Call them up and let them know or send something off to them? Back in CA there used to be a form to file for non-operation, but I don't see that on the NC forms?

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
I've never had to return a plate ever car or bike. Never once got questioned by the dmv or insurance. First I've heard of this. Just call your insurance company and remove the coverage.

And what is this property tax you speak of?

bossman2022

NC has property tax as part of the license and registration. Its paid as part of your plate and theoretically you are supposed to declare everything you own that is not a house or has a license plate. I just got some wonky mail about it for my motorcycle trailer (which has a plate!). Need to call them today to find out WTF that is about.

bmart

Control Rider
While we're exploring and finding humor, NC also collects road use tax, whether your vehicle goes on the road or not.

bossman2022

I just refiled for my motorcycle trailer. I guess since I have a permanent plate they want to assess it for taxes each year!? Grrr.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
I've never had to return a plate ever car or bike. Never once got questioned by the dmv or insurance. First I've heard of this. Just call your insurance company and remove the coverage.

And what is this property tax you speak of?
Yep.
If your registration is expired, you can typically drop your insurance and go about your life.
If you currently have registration that is still valid for some time, and you drop your insurance to save the money, you'll get pinged by the DMV about 'lapse in insurance.' At best, it's just a note stating "your registration is now revoked." at worst, you get a fine.

I went through this last year when I decided not to ride one of my bikes on the road anymore. The registration was valid for about 6 more months. I informed my insurance company about my plans to remove it from the policy and get a refund on the policy. They informed me to get receipt of turning the plates in with the DMV, so I did.

You can also do the "lost or stolen" plate thing if you're not willing or unable to return the plate.

Canceling Liability Insurance​

Because state law requires continuous liability insurance on all registered vehicles, a vehicle owner should cancel their insurance only after they have turned in their North Carolina license plate to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

Canceling insurance before returning the license plate will result in a fine for failure to maintain continuous insurance coverage.