Safety Wire Help PLEASE!!!!!!

motorkas

I've come to the conclusion that the worse thing for somebody who's already "paranoid" to do is to start looking for bolts and tubes that "need" safety wire. It quickly becomes apparent that the whole bike is nothing but bolts and tubes. . .:D

Guys (and Gals) - any suggestions, helpful hints or confirmation I'm on the right track would be much appreciated!!!!!!

First up: Front wheel sensor bolt that controls my ABS, TC and wheelie control (tip of blue sharpie's pointing to it) - didn't know the bolt existed until my TC/ABS went out. . .because the bolt backed out (actually found the bolt in my belly pan:wow:). . .needless to say it's getting safety wired:). . . . Can I run the wire and attach it to the safety wire in the caliper bolts - I really don't want to drill a hole in the forks but if I have to - definitely will - any other places you see where I could run the wire too?

Next up - Oil drain plug - do you thing it's ok to wire it to the exhaust spring holes welded on? If not - where else would you go - would you alternated holes each time to reduce fatigue?

Next up: - Radiator hose clamps - safety wire or not? Personally I want to, but if it's not necessary. . .also - how many spare clamps would you keep and how often would you switch out to new ones? Finally, if you do safety wire the clamps - how do you do it?

Finally, wanted to get feedback on my anchor for my radiator cap safety wire - it's not metal, but a plastic brace that holds the street upper in place - OK to keep using this point or should I find a metal point?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!!!!!!

PS - Thank you guys for pointing me in the direction of the HF 299.00 lift - LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

bmrboy

It's not paranoia , its your common sense talking to you ....

When I had my BMW , this is what I did ... and the same with my GSXR- 750 ......
All small hardware , engine screws , fender ... Blue lock-tite , then a small dot of white paint , Axle nuts wired
oil filler cap wired , coolant hose clamps ... they are spring clamps , they are not going anywhere , you can replace
with regular hose clamps if you feel more comfortable ......

But for the most part , I wired damn close to anything that looked like it could come off !!!!!
Kurvy Girl , LOCATED IN AZ. HAS THOSE REUSABLE SPRING CLIPS , CHEAP MONEY , for a good piece on mind
I'm a little obsessive about bike prep , so It's easy for me to get carried away !!!!
I spend .... HOURS ... LOOKING AT THINGS ... to WIRE & LOCK-TITE ...... :wow:
3M lock-tite ... small touch-up bottle of white paint , the paint is a quick visual reference ....

I see your caliper bolts are wired ..... That my Friend is the # 1 most important thing you could have done other
that OIL DRAIN PLUG & OIL FILLER PLUG & OIL FILTER
So have at it ..... :haha: go nuts .... & bolts ....... HAHAHA .... Bike preparation , one less thing to think about !!

TProc

Stop over thinking it...........and do sumthin about those chicken strips in pic 5.............LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmrboy

steve gould;292368 wrote: You keep taking advise from Grady and those strips wil get wider!

??????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno: ....... :confused: ..... :nutkick:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Great suggestions by all above! The only other thing I can think of for those small bolts (like your wheel sensor bolt) in the first pic that's not easily drilled, is to use the blue loctite, but then put a dab of silicone over the top side and edge, extending from the bolt onto the washer and beyond to help hold it in place. Those washers posted by Turbo look like a good idea as well, if there's a place to wire them to.

I just have the basics done...oil filter, filler cap, drain plug; brake caliper bolts and brake pad pin bolts; front axle bolt and pinch bolts; pin through the rear axle castle nut instead of the cotter pin. I keep a check on my radiator hose clamps to make sure they stay tight. Only time they loosened was after a spill.

Do you have the brake pad pins wired (not sure I could tell from the pics)? If they're the recessed allen head type, you can get replacements with hex heads pre-drilled for wiring from Pro-Bolt USA.

borislav

Control Rider
Kas grate suggestions by all but for those bolts that are pain in the ars to safetywire besides BLUE threadlocker (DO NOT USE RED)
use stripe of TORQUE SEAL which will show you if you bolt starts to loosen up!
I personaly use TORQUE SEAL a lot,if you want couple of tubes pm me your address and i'll send them to you!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
We'll set the rest up at Barber if you haven't gotten it complete by then. Sure as hell don't have time to read your post. :D
You get paid by the word?

borislav

Control Rider
Dave561;292378 wrote: We'll set the rest up at Barber if you haven't gotten it complete by then. Sure as hell don't have time to read your post. :D
Kas is coming down to Barber!?
Sweet/fresh meat!!!:D

moman

In your second pic you'll notice a hole in the oil sump just ahead of the drain plug. This may be a threaded hole, was on my HP4, wasn't on my early '10 S1KRR but I tapped it(don't go all the way through obviously). Put a bolt in there and you can safety drain plug to it.
Only other things I safety is oil filter, oil filler cap and caliper bolts. Most everything else gets the torque seal applied once I've used a torque wrench on it.

Oh, and I wouldn't safety anything to plastic, bound to chafe through eventually from vibration.

motorkas

bmrboy;292354 wrote: It's not paranoia , its your common sense talking to you ....

When I had my BMW , this is what I did ... and the same with my GSXR- 750 ......
All small hardware , engine screws , fender ... Blue lock-tite , then a small dot of white paint , Axle nuts wired
oil filler cap wired , coolant hose clamps ... they are spring clamps , they are not going anywhere , you can replace
with regular hose clamps if you feel more comfortable ......

But for the most part , I wired damn close to anything that looked like it could come off !!!!!
Kurvy Girl , LOCATED IN AZ. HAS THOSE REUSABLE SPRING CLIPS , CHEAP MONEY , for a good piece on mind
I'm a little obsessive about bike prep , so It's easy for me to get carried away !!!!
I spend .... HOURS ... LOOKING AT THINGS ... to WIRE & LOCK-TITE ...... :wow:
3M lock-tite ... small touch-up bottle of white paint , the paint is a quick visual reference ....

I see your caliper bolts are wired ..... That my Friend is the # 1 most important thing you could have done other
that OIL DRAIN PLUG & OIL FILLER PLUG & OIL FILTER
So have at it ..... go nuts .... & bolts ....... HAHAHA .... Bike preparation , one less thing to think about !!
Thanks Mike!!!!! Got the white paint marker and am torquing everything than marking for the ones I don't use the most - got the K&N filters on order (predrilled) and also got the Sato racing pre-drilled oil drain plug - going to be putting a call into Pro bolt for the pinch bolts (forgot to tighten them on the last TD and lost two of them:banghead: - that was the final straw for safety wiring - never again!!!!. . .ordered the clips from Kurvy Girl but for the first couple of times I'm fully safety wiring until it becomes habit - then going to the clips:)

For the ABS... you can get these
http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FdJj7Aod00EAHQ

I would run the drain plug line somewhere else than an exhaust spring. Maybe an oil pan bolt drilled might work better.

Radiator clamps dont really go bad. If you want leak proof... you got to spend the $$ to convert to braided or hard line.
Kind of over kill for a production bike. though.

Thanks!!!!!!!! Those may be just the ticket!!!!!!

Stop over thinking it...........and do sumthin about those chicken strips in pic 5
.............LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to blame the bike. . .then the suspension. . .then the weather. . .then the track. . .then the Mid-Atlantic director. . .but the truth of the matter is. . .:crs:. . .:D

You keep taking advise from Grady and those strips wil get wider!
Best bit of advice yet was the NTEC's - both my brother and I owe him a beer for that. . .;)

Great suggestions by all above! The only other thing I can think of for those small bolts (like your wheel sensor bolt) in the first pic that's not easily drilled, is to use the blue loctite, but then put a dab of silicone over the top side and edge, extending from the bolt onto the washer and beyond to help hold it in place. Those washers posted by Turbo look like a good idea as well, if there's a place to wire them to.

I just have the basics done...oil filter, filler cap, drain plug; brake caliper bolts and brake pad pin bolts; front axle bolt and pinch bolts; pin through the rear axle castle nut instead of the cotter pin. I keep a check on my radiator hose clamps to make sure they stay tight. Only time they loosened was after a spill.

Do you have the brake pad pins wired (not sure I could tell from the pics)? If they're the recessed allen head type, you can get replacements with hex heads pre-drilled for wiring from Pro-Bolt USA.

I don't have the brake pad pins wired - will definitely put those on the list!!!!!!! As always, THANKS JUDY!!!!!!!

Kas grate suggestions by all but for those bolts that are pain in the ars to safetywire besides BLUE threadlocker (DO NOT USE RED)
use stripe of TORQUE SEAL which will show you if you bolt starts to loosen up!
I personaly use TORQUE SEAL a lot,if you want couple of tubes pm me your address and i'll send them to you!
Thanks brother - definitely going to take you up on that - I may be in Severna Park this weekend - may be able to save you some postage!!!!

We'll set the rest up at Barber if you haven't gotten it complete by then. Sure as hell don't have time to read your post.
Of all the times I hate you, probably the most is in moments like these - where I spend time on a comeback and still have nothing. . .yep, still got nothing. . .F%^#&R. . .:D

Kas is coming down to Barber!?
Sweet/fresh meat!!!
I think Dave "NSA'd" me. . .:D; signed up for both days, have a room reserved a mile from the track and cleared it with my boss. I was trying to keep it quiet until the last minute because once I saw the Mid-Atlantic contingent that was going I knew it was going to be like putting a guppy in the tank with bull sharks. . .Never been to Barber but it's been on the bucket list - definitely going to need the full works (lines, markers, catch outs). Depending on what's on the table work wise on that Friday, I may be down for caravanning if you guys don't mind. . .either way, if you get down there first - save me a spot with electricity. . .:D

In your second pic you'll notice a hole in the oil sump just ahead of the drain plug. This may be a threaded hole, was on my HP4, wasn't on my early '10 S1KRR but I tapped it(don't go all the way through obviously). Put a bolt in there and you can safety drain plug to it.
Only other things I safety is oil filter, oil filler cap and caliper bolts. Most everything else gets the torque seal applied once I've used a torque wrench on it.

Oh, and I wouldn't safety anything to plastic, bound to chafe through eventually from vibration.
Thanks Moman - it's not threaded - I checked - I think the HP4's must have been the first - I was hoping they were going to make it easy. . .:D. And thank you with the radiator cap - what do you have yours wired to and what did you wire your oil filler cap to?

TLRSKUNK

If it was mine I would safety wire that TC bolt like this:

it's a low torque bolt and the safety wire will keep it from backing out no need to go crazy with it.

(it's a crude drawing but you can see what I mean.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Hmmmmm, so the CR's are slowing you down? You still have time to apologize...:D

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
You use to be fresh meat...in case you didn't know you ARE the menu...:popcorn:

motorkas

Steverino;292441 wrote: Lowes has the same clips that you can get from Curvy girl if you can't wait. In the misc bolt and hardware bins.
Thanks - already ordered two sets and got them about a week ago - but definitely good info to know in the future if I'm having sizing issues.

You'll be walking bow legged for a week. But you'll be smiling
NOT helping. . .:D

If it was mine I would safety wire that TC bolt like this:

it's a low torque bolt and the safety wire will keep it from backing out no need to go crazy with it.

(it's a crude drawing but you can see what I mean.
Thanks!!!!!

Hmmmmm, so the CR's are slowing you down? You still have time to apologize...
Vin, my bad!!!!!!!!:D (I still need you guys to give me the tools to defend myself against those who dare to besmearch my honor. . .:D)

You use to be fresh meat...in case you didn't know you ARE the menu...
Only way to get better brother - get put on trial. . .in fire. . .the whole time eating all the stove top that's put on your plate. . :D. Although, part of me wishes I had six go pros so I could hand off the footage to somebody who knows what their doing to document the mugging - I tried to tell people "yeah, and the Mid-Atlantic directors passes me on a knee, hitting the apex, turned around. . .giving me the one finger salute." I swear to you - nobody believes me - they just look at me like "aaaaawwwww, poor guy has to exaggerate to make himself feel better. . .":)