Seized bolt in GSXR suspension lingage

jimmyz63

Tearing apart swingarm and suspension linkages to clean and lube. Everything went well until the last bolt. The bolt holding the dogbone arm to the frame is the problem. It turns hard, so I think it's corroded inside the frame hole, but it won't budge when I tap it with a hammer. So I suspect it is seized to the spacer inside the arm. The arm moves freely so the bearings are free from the spacer. Any ideas on how to get this out?linkage.jpg

jimmyz63

I was giving it a pretty good wack. My fear is bending, or worse, breaking the frame ear/mounting tab. I'd rather cut it off than risk that. I knew there was probably no magic solution. I'll give it a good WD soaking and try again.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Big breaker bar, I use a 3ft pipe on a rachet handle, haven't found a bolt yet that can beat that.

Or an electric impact gun.

jimmyz63

The bolt can be turned...it is seized to the spacer that fits between the mounting tabs so I can't push it out.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Not sure I understand but....thread the nut mostly off leaving it so that it protects the end of the bolt. Get a brass hammer and whack away. I also have a set of brass drifts that come in handy for situations like this.

jimmyz63

Not sure I understand but....thread the nut mostly off leaving it so that it protects the end of the bolt. Get a brass hammer and whack away. I also have a set of brass drifts that come in handy for situations like this.
That's what I did, you can see it from the picture. It's just that I was hitting it so hard I feared bending/breaking the opposite side mounting tab on the frame. I may try to put a spacer/pipe between that tab and the frame to give it support while I hammer.

andykurz

I'm not sure what bike this is but some of the long GSXR bolts are threaded into the frame and then also have a nut on them. Are you sure the bolt isn't threaded into anything?

jimmyz63

It's an '07 600. After removing the nut I turned the bolt probably 5-6 complete turns to loosen things up. So it's definitely not threaded to the frame. It's bolt 15 in the picture and it is seized to spacer 14.
Untitled.jpg

chrisplm

Chris
Everything everyone above said, plus HEAT. Don't heat the bolt, you want to heat the spacer so it expands. This helps create a bigger gap between the bolt and spacer (where the corrosion is).
A standard propane torch should help.

Ron R

A long arm puller can apply pressure to the bolt and hold the tab. I use that type of puller monthly in the HVAC trade and in the garage every so often. Local auto zone might have something they rent or loan out. Hard to tell how much room you have but you can use a piece of pipe around the bolt head to give to even bite around the tab. I’ve even used a heavy C clamp to do similar work.

bmart

Control Rider
Where are you located? Perhaps someone can lend a hand.

I've had great luck with PB Blaster. WD-40 won't likely touch it. It is a cleaner, not a lubricant.

chrisplm

Chris
Another trick I've had success with is using an air hammer to "tap" on the outside, as well as the bolt. This also helps break up the corrosion. Don't have one? they are real "cheap" at Harbor freight :like:.

jimmyz63

That was one of the things I was going to try. Drill a dimple in the end of the bolt and then use a pointed tip in the air hammer.