Steering damper ?s

smr123

Had a scott's on both an F4i and a gixxer, but based on www.oncycles.com sales on Matris, I could not resist.

They are selling a top quality product, (retail $650+) for a nominal amount, however the mounts are for non-popular bikes, so if you can make a mount your in biz. Gas filled, titanium housing, nitride plated shaft...etc. Can't buy a used Scott's for the price.

Worth a look.

PJZOCC624

^thanks. took a look. pretty slick looking. Says "mounts only to stock configurations" yet shows it mounted on top of the triple (stock damper is underneath) and no mention of drilling needed. Are you using this one currently???

TheGrouch

nrcooled;29826 wrote: What is the difference that you notice? I have the stock one on my 750 and I haven't noticed an issue with being able to control the bike at all. It doesn't shake it's head too much even going over the "jump" at Thunderbolt.

I run a pretty quick I-group pace but I've never run into issues with the damper.
At MAM, the raceline onto the front straight has a pretty long series of "divots". with the stock damper, I nearly wadded myself during a 80 foot long slapper. Same line with the Sprint damper resulted in mild wiggling of the bars.

nrcooled

TheGrouch;31110 wrote: At MAM, the raceline onto the front straight has a pretty long series of "divots". with the stock damper, I nearly wadded myself during a 80 foot long slapper. Same line with the Sprint damper resulted in mild wiggling of the bars.
Thanks for the input! I'll keep that in mind if I see ripples in the pavement. Hopefully the stocker will take care of my slow ass for a while.

gkotlin

nrcooled;31131 wrote: Thanks for the input! I'll keep that in mind if I see ripples in the pavement. Hopefully the stocker will take care of my slow ass for a while.
It's one of those things. If you see ripples in the pavement, it may not give you headshake. If you see them and grab the breaks or swerve around them, you risk an accident with another bike. A steereing damper is great. I've didn't have one for 2.5 years. The front end shakes, and moves and dances. I didn't let it bother me. The worst for me was cresting the hill at Road America. Nothing like watching the bars sway back and forth and wondering if they'll stop before you need to break when your going 150mph+. I opted for a steering damper instead of a slipper clutch this season. I never realized what I was missing! Definately worth the money and more importantly the peace of mind. I just dial up the amount of damping when I need it.